SIA joy flights SIN-SIN

Old Aug 12, 20, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
SIA joy flights SIN-SIN

Given the current C19 situation, and the grounding of both fleet, staff, and passengers, surely there would be a market for SIN-SIN flights, maybe total duration 1-2 hours, enough to sample food and enjoy the views and service, and give air enthusiasts an opportunity to get their 'fix' while a vaccine is found.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 12, 20, 3:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, LATAM*Black
it could even come with a 14 day long food sampling experience from specific hotels!
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:11 pm

eva air has done it
https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/eva...lane-1.5050152

i'd say that SIN airport is a little more complicated (since arrival and departure passengers are commingled in the common transit area except T4, but T4 is closed)

if they open up just T4 to do this (or bus these passengers directly to the plane), maybe? i don't think the market for this in SIN is as big as taiwan?
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 12, 20, 10:37 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Qantas are doing 787 scenic flights down to Antarctica - 12 hour "domestic" flights, with seat swaps halfway so everyone gets a window seat half the time.

Also gets the pilots flying time up to date. Why not?
Old Aug 12, 20, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by Jaunt411 View Post
Qantas are doing 787 scenic flights down to Antarctica - 12 hour "domestic" flights, with seat swaps halfway so everyone gets a window seat half the time.

Also gets the pilots flying time up to date. Why not?
They are a charter flight by a Travel Agent, who have hired a QF aircraft. Not the same as QF flight or the QF B747 retirment joy flights
https://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/
Old Aug 12, 20, 11:36 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
There's always something like this .....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/9VJST
Old Aug 13, 20, 1:37 am

Programs: JL Sapphire | GE, TSA-Pre
It will be a really short flight considering how small Singapore is.

5 mins and oh it's time to land...
Old Aug 13, 20, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I don't really see the attraction of these things. If there's something to see, maybe. Concorde, sure. But a 777 random flight around SE Asia only to land back where you started? No thanks.
Old Aug 13, 20, 1:55 am

Programs: JL Sapphire | GE, TSA-Pre
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I don't really see the attraction of these things. If there's something to see, maybe. Concorde, sure. But a 777 random flight around SE Asia only to land back where you started? No thanks.
True, I don't see a point for paying for these kind of flights.
Old Aug 13, 20, 7:23 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
But a 777 random flight around SE Asia only to land back where you started? No thanks.
Would be a more fuel efficient craft, such as the 787or A350. Might be able to package up the 350ULR as something special, but that would have a hefty price tag. But problem is the lack of appealing scenery to look at around SE Asia, and there's a strong chance it would hidden under cloud anyway. Best would be the various Volcanos in the Indonesia archipelago. But still, not the same as Antarctica, or even something like the Himalayas. Could of course do Antarctica with freight/refuelling stops in PER if AU government would allow it
Old Aug 13, 20, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Would be a more fuel efficient craft, such as the 787or A350. Might be able to package up the 350ULR as something special, but that would have a hefty price tag. But problem is the lack of appealing scenery to look at around SE Asia, and there's a strong chance it would hidden under cloud anyway. Best would be the various Volcanos in the Indonesia archipelago. But still, not the same as Antarctica, or even something like the Himalayas. Could of course do Antarctica with freight/refuelling stops in PER if AU government would allow it
OK, but as you say, what is the point, there is not much to see in a 'spectacular' way from an airplane window.
Old Aug 13, 20, 1:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Plt, Skywards : Gold
They might need to open up dedicated terminal for the flight as the flight technically a domestic flight and all Changi terminals are internationals (with immigration check point)

Also I guess it will be more complicated to arrange the flight plans with the neighboring countries as it will be difficult to keep the flight within Singapore borders.

A low level flight above Singapore CBD might be interesting although the authority most likely reject the idea due to noise and safety issues.
(And it will be very short flight .. less than 30 min flight and it might cause undue stress to the air frame)
Old Aug 13, 20, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
Given the current C19 situation, and the grounding of both fleet, staff, and passengers, surely there would be a market for SIN-SIN flights, maybe total duration 1-2 hours, enough to sample food and enjoy the views and service, and give air enthusiasts an opportunity to get their 'fix' while a vaccine is found.

Thoughts?
What “food”? This current enhanced meal service Is pretty dire from what I can deduce, implemented IMHO because it suits SIA to implement it. Because it sure ain’t enhanced nor does it even go some way to being an reasonably acceptable alternative. Think Emirates, Etihad, Qatar during these challenging times.

Covid should and has to bring in changes to reflect the new reality but I really struggle to feel inclined either to do pleasure flights or to accept “if you’re stupid enough to fly with us during this pandemic you’ll get what you’re given and be mighty thankful we are getting you from A to B or even A to A” approach. There’s no such thing as a “no solution” situation or at least a viable alternative.

Whizz.....bang.

AF

Last edited by Armchair Flyer; Aug 13, 20 at 10:25 pm Reason: Added a short wording
Old Aug 14, 20, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
They might need to open up dedicated terminal for the flight as the flight technically a domestic flight and all Changi terminals are internationals (with immigration check point)

Also I guess it will be more complicated to arrange the flight plans with the neighboring countries as it will be difficult to keep the flight within Singapore borders.

A low level flight above Singapore CBD might be interesting although the authority most likely reject the idea due to noise and safety issues.
(And it will be very short flight .. less than 30 min flight and it might cause undue stress to the air frame)
With everything going on in the world, this would seem fairly low down the list of priorities.
irishguy28 and Armchair Flyer like this.
Old Aug 14, 20, 2:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
With the glut of miles I have I would certainly pay the going rate (miles-wise) if SQ were to fly a 12-hour joyride SIN-SIN with their new suites a380

But there would be 0% chance of that happening cos the flight would be nowhere near even break-even. Can't imagine anybody signing up for the flight in Economy ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: