Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Terrible Flight - Compensation offered is a joke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terrible Flight - Compensation offered is a joke

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
You're an outlier. Based on what I've seen, most here agree that some compensation is in order.
Outlier? See Post# 20 where I calculated my opinion of reasonable compensation, which clearly means I agree there is a level of compensation that makes sense.

I am still waiting for you to show me where I said it was OK for the girl to play her iPad loudly.

Seem pretty silly to keep making false statements about what I have said and makes it hard to believe your side of the story when you are so loose with the facts. Case in point is your complaint of not having the ability to be comfortable in the seat, you knew the crew could have adjusted it but you never bothered to ask them to do so.

Last edited by whimike; Jan 29, 2020 at 6:22 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by whimike
I am still waiting for you to show me where I said it was OK for the girl to play her iPad loudly.
I think we've all agreed that SQ could not in any sense be responsible for compensating the OP for any inconvenience he may have endured from the bloody child playing on her iPad
Originally Posted by whimike
Seem pretty silly to keep making false statements about what I have said and makes it hard to believe your side of the story when you are so loose with the facts. Case in point is your complaint of not having the ability to be comfortable in the seat, you knew the crew could have adjusted it but you never bothered to ask them to do so.
Amen to that
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
As has already been discussed, the vouchers for catalogue or Krisflyer shop purchases are totally worthless. I don't want that crap, it is of no value to me.
In that case, I'd suggest returning it and asking for miles instead or something similar.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:41 pm

Did I miss something? Is the OP a high value customer? It doesn't seem like it to me.
If not, why does SQ care? They don't seem to really want people redeeming for F (as in blocking other FFPs from doing it).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Did I miss something? Is the OP a high value customer? It doesn't seem like it to me.
If not, why does SQ care? They don't seem to really want people redeeming for F (as in blocking other FFPs from doing it).
Well SQ apparently did care. Earlier today, a rep called and they agreed to refund me 45,000 miles. And I got to keep my worthless vouchers too.
Danial and estnet like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:35 am

Well SQ apparently did care. Earlier today, a rep called and they agreed to refund me 45,000 miles. And I got to keep my worthless vouchers too.
You mean, you got compensation. That is what most companies do to resolve complaints.

To be more explicit: unless SQ has changed they take pride in their work, and would be horrified such a thing happened and try to do their best to make it better whilst still on the flight. At least I feel that is the culture of Japanese airlines.

Last edited by s0ssos; Jan 30, 2020 at 12:41 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Glad you got a better outcome in the end OP, though it's sad to see others try and make it seem like you were opportunistic and somewhat of a high maintenance traveler. I would have done the same as you tbh. Anyway glad you got compensation, I've had no luck ever with SQ for compensation haha, my favourite experience was SQ once totally destroying 3 hardcase samsonite flite spinner cases when my wife and I + in-laws flew AKL-SIN-CMB for a holiday in J. The station manager at CMB couldn't care less that my luggage was pancaked and unusable (most likely occurred at CMB), or that I had flown in paid business class, or that I was *G (United 1K at the time) and after grudgingly giving me a case number some guy turned up at our hotel in Colombo the next day and essentially used a portable heat gun to warm up and re-warp the plastic hardcase into shape. What's funny is that the plastic was clearly weakened and work hardened with white streaks forming, but the guy was happy that the cases now looked like they could close again. SQ was also adamant that this repair job was enough to fix the luggage, and refused any compensation to even buy 1 replacement bag. Wasn't asking for much, think I literally sent them a copy of my invoice for a Flite Spinner Bag for like $180 USD. Anyway, glad you got a better outcome!
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:52 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
they agreed to refund me 45,000 miles.
That's an extremely good result.

And I got to keep my worthless vouchers
You could almost certainly give the vouchers away here, or to a friend. Or to a stranger at the airport. Even though you don't value them highly, they are by no means "worthless".
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mtofell
When a plane I'm on has problems I'm just thankful to land safely and be alive.. The last thing on my mind is frequent flyer miles and compensation. Maybe you should hire a team of lawyers for all your emotional distress.

I'm with you. I was on a QF flight many years ago where just out of Honolulu on the way to Sydney there was a fire on board. We sat in complete darkness for ages with flight attendants running around. I never thought to ask for compensation.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Why are the vouchers worthless. Can't you buy something onboard? Did I miss something about what the vouchers were?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Why are the vouchers worthless. Can't you buy something onboard? Did I miss something about what the vouchers were?
OP is saying they are “worthless” because he wanted compensation that was worth more to him. He eventually got something more, but for some reason I don’t think he’ll be letting those vouchers go unused.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by setho212
OP is saying they are “worthless” because he wanted compensation that was worth more to him. He eventually got something more, but for some reason I don’t think he’ll be letting those vouchers go unused.
I don't know, I got a CX flight voucher for $100 off a future flight for a... wait for it... broken seat, power issue and delay on a CX flight in J (HKG-BKK). It was a flight where I just wanted to pass out anyway (hours 20-22 of flying), so skipped the meal, had the FAs make the seat flat manually, passed out.

Never used the voucher (and also never pursued alternate compensation because I was flying an AS mileage ticket, CX can't refund AS miles, and AM miles would have been fairly useless). If I had been a customer using AM, maybe I'd have asked for some miles... though I'm usually pretty laid-back about compensation.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I don't know, I got a CX flight voucher for $100 off a future flight for a... wait for it... broken seat, power issue and delay on a CX flight in J (HKG-BKK). It was a flight where I just wanted to pass out anyway (hours 20-22 of flying), so skipped the meal, had the FAs make the seat flat manually, passed out.

Never used the voucher (and also never pursued alternate compensation because I was flying an AS mileage ticket, CX can't refund AS miles, and AM miles would have been fairly useless). If I had been a customer using AM, maybe I'd have asked for some miles... though I'm usually pretty laid-back about compensation.
A $400 voucher can be used to purchase merchandise without incurring any additional expense. A flight voucher of a low amount is different because it will likely require you to spend more money than you would have otherwise if you don’t have another trip on the same airline planned.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:34 pm

You keep lamenting the vouchers are “worthless”. Then do some good and give them to someone else who’s about to take an SQ flight, am sure they’d find something of worth to purchase on board and brighten their day. PM me if you can’t find anyone to give to.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Because many things onboard are overpriced at least 100% and more. So it is about half dollar on the street and/or less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.