Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Terrible Flight - Compensation offered is a joke

Terrible Flight - Compensation offered is a joke

Old Jan 26, 20, 4:02 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,632
Terrible Flight - Compensation offered is a joke

I redeemed a large chunk of miles for a first class flight from LAX to SIN. The LAX-NRT leg was laughably bad. Power went out somewhere in the first half of the flight. I woke up to a child playing her private iPad loudly and when I asked the FAs what the heck was going on, they said the IFE was out due to a power failure. Seats wouldn't recline either obviously as the power buttons were out. No running water in the bathroom. The power never came back during the flight so I was basically staring out my window waiting to land (5 hours or so).

Here is the kicker.. I was given vouchers worth 400 SGD that can be used on Krisflyer shopping catalogue. After leaving the plane, I was handed a letter of apology and a "gift" as an apology. That gift was a universal charger.

Nice try Singapore, nice try.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 4:27 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Don't know....
Programs: BA LTG GGL, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT
Posts: 3,959
Originally Posted by Sandeep1 View Post
I redeemed a large chunk of miles for a first class flight from LAX to SIN. The LAX-NRT leg was laughably bad. Power went out somewhere in the first half of the flight. I woke up to a child playing her private iPad loudly and when I asked the FAs what the heck was going on, they said the IFE was out due to a power failure. Seats wouldn't recline either obviously as the power buttons were out. No running water in the bathroom. The power never came back during the flight so I was basically staring out my window waiting to land (5 hours or so).

Here is the kicker.. I was given vouchers worth 400 SGD that can be used on Krisflyer shopping catalogue. After leaving the plane, I was handed a letter of apology and a "gift" as an apology. That gift was a universal charger.

Nice try Singapore, nice try.
Curious what are you expecting for power outage?
RTWFF likes this.
bagold is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 4:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by bagold View Post
Curious what are you expecting for power outage?
Certainly some sort of rebate on my miles. If I had redeemed for Y, that's a different story. However I wasn't given an F experience which is what I redeemed for.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 9:41 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 641
The reality is the air and ground crew upon landing can only do so much in terms of compensation. They have everyone else on the plane to deal with too.

Yes the experience was bad but the only way youíll get more in terms of compensation is to call up SQ directly and ask to speak with the KF management.

Youíll probably have more luck this way but if you remain quiet on that front, they will assume you are ok with what you were given.

Assuming you havenít tried this method yet of course.

Last edited by Mlee888; Jan 26, 20 at 12:08 pm
Mlee888 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 9:52 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,066
Frankly speaking, I think even if he write in SQ wonít be giving much more compensation. Maybe 10k miles.
sbs2716g is online now  
Old Jan 26, 20, 10:07 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Roswell, GA
Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,751
how much is a chunk of miles?. maybe ask them to refund the difference between coach and first... but I would hope for much
fotographer is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 10:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
how much is a chunk of miles?. maybe ask them to refund the difference between coach and first... but I would hope for much
but he still enjoy the F seat? First class foods? Only the IFE down for 5hours out of 18hrs flight.

So for those in Y, full refunds due to IFE down?
sbs2716g is online now  
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:21 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago
Programs: united 1k, HH Diamond
Posts: 430
Sense when is lax-nrt 18 hours. I love how people on FT love to take the side of the airline. OP please call singapore airlines and have a talk about this.
davistev and Sandeep1 like this.
united 1k flyer is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,066
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer View Post
Sense when is lax-nrt 18 hours. I love how people on FT love to take the side of the airline. OP please call singapore airlines and have a talk about this.
TS is flying from LAX to SIN. So is it 18hrs flight ? The sector affected is the last 5 hours for LAX-NRT
sbs2716g is online now  
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:49 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,257
SQ is not known for being generous in providing compensation. That's mostly a US legacy thing.
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:21 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,601
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
TS is flying from LAX to SIN. So is it 18hrs flight ? The sector affected is the last 5 hours for LAX-NRT
No, there are few flights of 18 hours, with Qantas LFK-SYD just flying in 19 hours. LAX SIN is 15 hours. 400 SGD and the charger (not sure if they are being ironic or helpful with that gift) seems reasonable.
ricktoronto is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:00 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,631
OP - many here understand your frustration. And I can say that no one disagrees that you deserve compensation. However, there are something you should keep in mind:

1. Your situation is not a statutory compensatable event (i.e. required by law). So how much and what you can get depends on the airline. You have no saying on this unless a choice is given.

2. Airlines generally tier compensation or any form of goodwill gesture based on fare classes and/or your elite status. Sorry to say, given you flew on award, this will significantly impact your "bargaining" power, even you suppose to have none.

3. Outside the U.S., airlines are not keen to compensate. This is especially true with Asian airlines.

Bottom line - you have no negotiation power. So whatever you are given is basically final. Of course you can ask for more. But it is up to the airline to comply.
garykung is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:23 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by fotographer View Post
how much is a chunk of miles?. maybe ask them to refund the difference between coach and first... but I would hope for much
This would be acceptable to me.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 3:26 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 2,632
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
but he still enjoy the F seat? First class foods? Only the IFE down for 5hours out of 18hrs flight.

So for those in Y, full refunds due to IFE down?
The seat itself is just 1 part of it. As I explained, during the latter half of the flight, the power buttons on the seat were out of order so I couldn't even get it to recline to put my legs up. So, no, I didn't really get to enjoy the F seat. And the 1st meal I enjoyed. The 2nd meal I did not as they were having issues with some of their ovens.

I will take the advice offered by several here and give SQ a call and see what can be worked out. Honestly, the vouchers they gave me that have to be used on Krisflyer shop or catalogue is what really triggered me. That is an absolute joke for comp.
dav662 likes this.
Sandeep1 is offline  
Old Jan 26, 20, 4:02 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by Sandeep1 View Post
Honestly, the vouchers they gave me that have to be used on Krisflyer shop or catalogue is what really triggered me.
A voucher for a limited range of overpriced items? No thanks either. A credit off future travel would be better. What % of the ticket value you'll need to decide. ~15-20% sounds reasonable.
Sandeep1 and mctaste like this.
davidj1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: