Search

Medical clearance and crutches?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
Medical clearance and crutches?

Evening all thanks in advance for any help

one of my friends is due to fly DRW-SIN-TYO this weekend, the first leg on MI and 2nd on SQ prime

however she has now badly sprained her ankle and is on crutches

the loads for the first flight look reasonably promising so I think it may be possible to ask for a seat to be blocked next to her for a bit more space and crutches. However i’m not an SQ flyer and don’t know how strict they are with the process etc

any guidance appreciated

i have suggested she ask for wheelchair assistance as don’t imagine hobbling around Changi on crutches would be that much fun, however she’s not keen at this stage
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Their own website only says when fitness to travel is in doubt. A sprained ankle is minor on the scale of things. Wear a compression bandage for swelling and take pain relief. Bobs your uncle! Doubt they'll get a row to themselves to pop their leg up but should still survive.

If she wants absolute piece of mind she could call the airline?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Their own website only says when fitness to travel is in doubt. A sprained ankle is minor on the scale of things. Wear a compression bandage for swelling and take pain relief. Bobs your uncle! Doubt they'll get a row to themselves to pop their leg up but should still survive.

If she wants absolute piece of mind she could call the airline?
Called the airline, I suggested just calling SQ since they’re basically the same airline. SQ said pay $88 for an extra legroom seat (seems reasonable enough to me but not my booking &#128521. Old mate then called silkair at Darwin who have agreed to hold a seat next to her on that leg and look at the onward flight when she checks in

meanwhile she’s been off to the doctor and is now off crutches and into a compression sock- apparently it just looked more impressive than it actually is!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by nancypants
Called the airline, I suggested just calling SQ since they’re basically the same airline. SQ said pay $88 for an extra legroom seat (seems reasonable enough to me but not my booking &#128521. Old mate then called silkair at Darwin who have agreed to hold a seat next to her on that leg and look at the onward flight when she checks in

meanwhile she’s been off to the doctor and is now off crutches and into a compression sock- apparently it just looked more impressive than it actually is!
Just be prepared, normally gate agents have last say on seat assignment so it may not always stay that way.
chisquared and DiamondMile like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.