Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable fare Sin/Kul?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jpatokal:
Air Asia now flies JB-KUL-JB twice a day, fares start at RM 19.99 -- that's $5!

The tough part is getting there fom Singapore, since taxis aren't legally allowed to make cross-border trips... but Comfort Taxi will arrange a two-taxi trip, where you get shuttled from the SG taxi to the MY one at the border, for SGD 60 or so. Coming back on a (dubious) Malaysian taxi is cheaper at around RM 80 (haggle haggle haggle!), or you can book a legit limo at the airport desk for a bit more. And yes, these will cost you several times the plane fare if going solo

Singapore's been doing all it can to kneecap Air Asia's Senai operation, it doesn't look like they'll issue permits for a cross-border bus operation to the airport, and they've even banned MAS's direct bus from picking up AA passengers.
</font>
If you are going from city center to city center: Given the distance of Senai to down town SIngapore and KLIA to KL downtown, why bother flying at all? Just take a bus or train!

BTW seems to me that it would almost be as fast to cab down from KL to JB as it is to get to KLIA from the city, fly to Senai and then get to JB? Suspect that a taxi ride for 4 would be cheaper than the sum total of the flights+taxes+taxis!

Would only consider flying to KL if I was transiting from a long haul flight through Changi. In that case, obviously I wouldn't even bother going to Senai.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 2:42 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
AirAsia can't make the JHB-KUL sector cheap enough for me to justify the hassle. Gimme a bus anytime. Had to fly KCH-JHB once when I missed by KCH-SIN flight. Even with taking the MH shuttle from Senai to Singapore I thought the journey was a chore. At least the cost difference ex-JHB vs. ex-SIN is substantial enough for most travellers flying to Sarawak/Sabah. Not so for KUL since coach service is such an attractive option.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 5:55 am

Agreed that JHB-KUL isn't terribly attractive for Singaporeans, especially without any decent public transport options; I live in Jurong and, while Senai is actually physically closer to me than Changi, my options of getting there are limited to a) 3 hours in various MRTs and buses or b) an illegal taxi that will cost me at least $50.

But for longer trips, esp. with a group of people, it's another matter. I've just booked three tix from JHB to Penang, and it's only a matter of time -- namely the end of the monsoon season -- until I head out to Kota Kinabalu. JHB-KUL-Tawau (for Sipadan) is also a nice combo. And it's only a matter of time until AA gets its Thai destinations on line, rumor says JHB-BKK is in the works as we speak...

Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jpatokal:
Agreed that JHB-KUL isn't terribly attractive for Singaporeans, especially without any decent public transport options; I live in Jurong and, while Senai is actually physically closer to me than Changi, my options of getting there are limited to a) 3 hours in various MRTs and buses or b) an illegal taxi that will cost me at least $50.

But for longer trips, esp. with a group of people, it's another matter. I've just booked three tix from JHB to Penang, and it's only a matter of time -- namely the end of the monsoon season -- until I head out to Kota Kinabalu. JHB-KUL-Tawau (for Sipadan) is also a nice combo. And it's only a matter of time until AA gets its Thai destinations on line, rumor says JHB-BKK is in the works as we speak...

</font>
Agreed. Air Asia to KK or anywhere in East Malaysia makes a lot of sense. Can't wait to get some time to do that myself.

As for Penang, it really is a toss up for me. The roads are good enough that I would almost rather drive and make a trip of it than fly..... especially with a family or a group of 4.

For a quick business trip, it's just easier to fly to Penang.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:42 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm doing a quick trip to SIN this weekend, and thought I'd do a day trip to KUL (no luggage) on Sunday. From the posts here it looks like I'd be better off buying one ways in each direction. Since the diff in fare is minimal (about $30) I was going to buy F.
Two questions:
#1 - Given the present security alerts, will my trip cause any problems or "raise any eyebrows"??
#2- If I book in F, will I have access to the First Class lounge in both directions?
(A friend suggested this was probably the best lounge in the system, and given a chance I shouldn't miss it).
Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:55 pm

SIN-KUL is a shuttle service. A percentage of the plane is reserved for walk-ups. Take a number, & wait for the check-in counter to call you. Much of the plan is filled with business folks - going to KUL for meetings and back. Plenty of my colleagues have done the day trip shuttle. No worries about security problems.

If you buy F, yes, you will have access to the lounge. The KUL one is nothing to write home about at all, in the SQ hierarchy of lounges.

btw - as a walk-up, you aren't guaranteed a certain flight. You catch the first flight with an available seat for you, and that seat can be on MH. Also, the Lunar New Year is coming up next week, flights are already very very full and have been that way for months. It is very likely that there will be loads of people waiting for shuttle fares, you may have to wait for several hours unless you get there bright and very early for the very first flight. If you must go, I do advise you to book a confirmed flight.

[This message has been edited by fimo (edited Jan 14, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by fimo (edited Jan 14, 2004).]
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:52 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks for the info, as it turns out due to a family emergency I had to cancel my SIN trip outright, so my mini SIN-KUL will have to be put off till later in the year!
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:41 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I am plan upon attending the Asian Aerospace conference in the last week of Febuary and would like to hop up to KUL overnight.
I would prefer to use the shuttle service and save a few bucks, but will swallow and pay full fare versus being stalled for 4-5 hours.
I arrive around 11am on Sunday Feb 22.
Will Chinese New Year crowds have subsided by then?

Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:54 pm

CNY crowds were over as of this week.... But conference/event crowds can be even worse.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:51 pm

i am confirming the KUL overnight trip in the next couple of days.
to weigh the economy of the shuttle versus the convenience of a booked fare when i arrive in SIN, does anyone know what the current cost of one ways from SIN and KUL would be?
the current SIN SQ fare is about $210USD.
any thoughts on the probability of having to wait for a couple of flights for mid afternoon departure and return?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:03 am

A round-trip confirmed booking is S$340, IIRC the shuttle is about S$120+RM170. Both prices do not include airport taxes.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:15 pm

so, as i understand it, i will pay approx $100 usd for the benefit of having a confirmed res back and forth from sin to kul?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
IIRC, for SIN-KUL, confirmed = S$152 vs shuttle = S$115. Taxes (S$30) are not included.

For KUL-SIN, confirmed = RM222 vs shuttle = RM167. Taxes (RM64) are not included.

The shuttle savings is about US$40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.