Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Awards Devaluation, Online Star Alliance Awards & New Service Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Awards Devaluation, Online Star Alliance Awards & New Service Fees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:57 am

If I call in the book now, and change the date later after 7-Dec, will I need to pay more miles?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
I'm not too bothered with anything less than a 10% increase as I just see it as inflation.

North Asia 1 was overpriced to begin in my opinion with so I thought this increase seems crazy.

South West Pacific like Cook Islands traditionally have been expensive to get to so I guess they are trying to leave a smaller gap in the price mile arbitrage. I thought J awards on Air NZ is scare anyway, so not bothered.

The middle east zone has traditionally been a sweet spot for SQ, seeing that I can get as far as Morocco. I guess they finally figured out.

Long haul first seems to have been generally increased 20%. Can't see any use for Star Alliance First other than LH, which blocks most of the space anyway.

They probably liked how the SQ devaluation in Mar helped improve their earning call and thought the star alliance one should help for the 2nd half of the FY.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:26 am

Biz class from North America to North Asia now costs more than to SE Asia?

So if someone connects via UA to SQ's LAX-NRT/ICN, it'd be cheaper to continue to SIN than to stop at NRT/ICN.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Europe to Middle East and Africa has actually come down from 120 to 70 in F. Not that you can get any seats on this route in F. Glad to see though that the J price stays the same.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Europe to Middle East and Africa has actually come down from 120 to 70 in F. Not that you can get any seats on this route in F. Glad to see though that the J price stays the same.
You're looking at it backwards.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Reikon
You're looking at it backwards.
Been one of those days!

Never actually redeemed a SQ *A award. Always fly SQ instead. What are the YQ's on *A awards?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Been one of those days!

Never actually redeemed a SQ *A award. Always fly SQ instead. What are the YQ's on *A awards?
They just pass on whatever the partner's YQ normally is.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Europe to Middle East in F has suffered the most: a sharp increase of almost 72% while YQ remains the same
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by dfs24
South West Pacific like Cook Islands traditionally have been expensive to get to so I guess they are trying to leave a smaller gap in the price mile arbitrage. I thought J awards on Air NZ is scare anyway, so not bothered.
NZ has an FF program consisting entirely of ASA (Any Seat Awards) so since they have little use for award inventory in any class, they don't bother opening up more than a couple per flight, and those appear to be shared between *A partners and NZ*G+ members, meaning you haven't a hope of getting one.

In general, I'm of the opinion that partner awards are pretty much no hope on most carriers.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by kyanar
In general, I'm of the opinion that partner awards are pretty much no hope on most carriers.
I actually think TK, TG, CA, NH have quite decent availability, but would only bother with TK and NH for redemption.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:53 pm

A potentially dumb question:

Is this increase only for partner redemptions or does it include SQ redemptions?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:04 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ant888

Is this increase only for partner redemptions or does it include SQ redemptions?
It's for partner redemptions only (SQ has a different award chart for redemptions on its own metal.

I'm curious, what types of award changes will trigger a re-price? Change in date? Change in origin/destination? Change in routing?
ant888 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ant888

It is for star alliance awards. That includes awards on other star alliance carriers only and awards that include a combination of SQ + other carriers. There is a separate table for SQ only awards.
ant888 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by elleana
Not all that convinced on *A availability in premium classes anyway, so will mostly be irrelevant to me.
There's a lot more *A award space that SQ can get, compared to SQ space that partners can book.

It really depends on the route and airline. For instance, you can't expect to get 4 J seats on LX/LH to NYC two months out.

By and large, there's still reasonable availability if you book early or late enough, and have some degree of flexibility.

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
SQ has lost its one and only advantage in regard to handling their business with other star alliance members: reasonable redemption rates with other star alliance members in their FFP

NO more SQ FFP @:-)
Why should SQ have a more attractive *A award chart to entice its members to book partner awards? This is not Lifemiles we're talking about.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Why should SQ have a more attractive *A award chart to entice its members to book partner awards?
In theory, to attract credit card transfers, particularly in markets where it is not the, or not one of the, predominant airline mileage programs.

But in practice SQ probably doesn't need to make star alliance partners awards that attractive - as long is it maintains high standards in its premium cabins and throttles supply of premium cabins to partners, it's awards are aspirational and it can attract mileage transfers from credit cards just for travel on its own services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.