FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Star Alliance Awards Devaluation, Online Star Alliance Awards & New Service Fees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1877465-star-alliance-awards-devaluation-online-star-alliance-awards-new-service-fees.html)

Phaze Nov 14, 2017 12:27 am

Star Alliance Awards Devaluation, Online Star Alliance Awards & New Service Fees

As part of our ongoing efforts to give our members greater convenience, we are pleased to inform you that PPS Club and KrisFlyer members will be able to redeem miles for flights on Star Alliance and other partner airlines on singaporeair.com or via our mobile app from 7 December 2017.

At the same time, updates have also been made to redemption award levels for Star Alliance carriers and will take effect on the same day. Click here to view the new Star Alliance Award Chart.

With effect from 7 December 2017, an offline service fee of USD25 or 2,500 KrisFlyer miles will be introduced for the following services rendered by any Singapore Airlines office and reservations hotline:
Redemption ticket bookings
Redemption ticket changes
Redemption upgrades
KrisFlyer membership services, including updating of passport details, adding or changing Redemption Group Nominees

As an exclusive benefit, this offline service fee will be waived for all PPS Club members and Supplementary card holders.

Current chart.

New chart.

They'll need to sort their IT out before they can take bookings offline as far as I'm concerned.

Kiwi Flyer Nov 14, 2017 12:38 am

By eyeball, some of the increases look hefty for business & first class.

elleana Nov 14, 2017 12:44 am

Not all that convinced on *A availability in premium classes anyway, so will mostly be irrelevant to me.

Top of climb Nov 14, 2017 12:56 am

For SWP>Europe at least it looks like the new rates simply bring them in line with the new SQ chart. In other words, plugging the loophole that resulted earlier this year from the SQ chart being enhanced but the *A chart staying untouched.

haydensydney Nov 14, 2017 1:04 am

Shame about the increases, but I am forever thankful that I will no longer need to book *A awards via the call centre which was painful.

Phaze Nov 14, 2017 1:31 am

Originally Posted by haydensydney (Post 29058466)
Shame about the increases, but I am forever thankful that I will no longer need to book *A awards via the call centre which was painful.

Which was my point. What makes you think it will work online? I'll hazard a guess that most people will still need to call in based on what SQ's systems are like. Hopefully they've rectified their IT before going ahead with this.

TravelwhileyouEat Nov 14, 2017 1:50 am

This is a devaluation for those routings that are unbookable online, like AAA-SIN-BBB wherein you want to take a different flight for SIN-BBB and there is availability but the combination doesn't show up online.

An example is the SQ 917 > SQ 860 > SQ 2 redemption in F that I booked with points transferred from Citi. Online only allowed SQ 917 > SQ2 so had to call it in.

lokijuh Nov 14, 2017 2:35 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat (Post 29058555)
An example is the SQ 917 > SQ 860 > SQ 2 redemption in F that I booked with points transferred from Citi. Online only allowed SQ 917 > SQ2 so had to call it in.

In the grand scheme of things when you're spending that much on an F award, $35* or 2500 pts is still fairly trivial.

* telling it as it is for Singaporeans :p

NA-Flyer Nov 14, 2017 3:04 am

SQ has lost its one and only advantage in regard to handling their business with other star alliance members: reasonable redemption rates with other star alliance members in their FFP :td:

NO more SQ FFP @:-)

henrus Nov 14, 2017 3:24 am

I just received an email with this in it...

"This service fee will be waived for transactions that cannot be performed online."

Phaze Nov 14, 2017 4:44 am

You're right. I've just seen a friend's email and it says that. The email I received omitted that due to my status so it looked from my post as though it was a catch 22 for routes not bookable online.

JohnSIN Nov 14, 2017 5:37 am

1 Attachment(s)
I have done a quick spreadsheet to highlight the differences in redemption between the current and new rate as of Dec 7th, 2017.
I might have made some data capture mistakes but it should give you a good idea of where it is going to hurt.

JohnSIN Nov 14, 2017 5:43 am

Digest ex-SIN

North Asia 1: Increase of 36% in Biz and 27% in First
North Asia 2: Increase of 8% for both Biz and First
South West Pacific: Increase of 20% for both Biz and First
North America: Increase of 20% in First
Hawaii, Central America: Increase of 20% in First
Europe: Increase of 6% in biz and 20% in First
Middle East: Increase of 30% in biz and 21% in First

sch7458 Nov 14, 2017 5:47 am

In miles:

https://image.prntscr.com/image/V-Ax...IGORQouF4A.png

Mister Nice Nov 14, 2017 6:43 am

It will be interesting to see if the online booking tool will be updated to allow mixed cabin rewards . It has always been extremely frustrating to have to call in to book a mixed cabin award even when it was SQ to SQ connection.