Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines Solitaire PPS Club, HHonors Diamond
I tried out Premium Economy in the A350 & A380 and really liked the Premium Economy seats & service a lot! The only flaw with the Singapore Airlines Premium Economy product is that, unlike Lufthansa & EVA Air to name a few, the Singapore Airlines Premium Economy section does not have it's own restrooms. So Premium Economy passengers still have to line up in the Economy cue, which can be very busy going into the night on a long haul flight or just before landing.

This makes the Premium Economy section feel less separated from the Economy cabin. Since the prices to & from Europe are often double for Premium Economy compared to a Economy Saver ticket, you would expect a little more of the exclusivity that other carriers are able to create with their Premium Economy products. Especially on a high end & full service carrier such as Singapore Airlines. They are always on the forefront of cabin innovations, but they seem to have missed the boat a little on this one. I understand that it might have been difficult to create Premium Economy restrooms on the A380's that were already in operation, but the A350 was delivered brand new by Airbus with Premium Economy seats, so here they could have added Premium Economy restrooms.

Last edited by Beolab; Jun 8, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
PPS do get FastTrack into LHR, even without asking.

IFS last year was also kind enough to also issue one to my companion, who was non-PPS and non-*G.
Do you fly into LHR often, and always get the fast track card? If not, you could've just been lucky with the IFS, as cowie suggests.

Originally Posted by Beolab
This makes the Premium Economy section feel less separated from the Economy cabin. Since the prices to & from Europe are often double for Premium Economy compared to a Economy Saver ticket, you would expect a little more of the exclusivity that other carriers are able to create with their Premium Economy products. Especially on a high end & full service carrier such as Singapore Airlines. They are always on the forefront of cabin innovations, but they seem to have missed the boat a little on this one.
On the other hand, SQ also has to make sure PEY demand doesn't cannibalise the demand for their J product, so they can't give you too good of a product for the price...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Originally Posted by chisquared
Do you fly into LHR often, and always get the fast track card? If not, you could've just been lucky with the IFS, as cowie suggests.

On the other hand, SQ also has to make sure PEY demand doesn't cannibalise the demand for their J product, so they can't give you too good of a product for the price...
I believe the demand for their J product is still there; but SQ did a good job positioning the Y+ product, being it's moderate price premium over flexible Y, so if you have to buy a flexi ticket anyway, Y+ is a good alternative.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by expatOWflyer
I believe the demand for their J product is still there; but SQ did a good job positioning the Y+ product, being it's moderate price premium over flexible Y, so if you have to buy a flexi ticket anyway, Y+ is a good alternative.
I actually think they might have done too good of a job, because my impression from people's reactions to Y+ is that they'll stick to Y because Y+ isn't worth the premium.

That being said, my earlier comment was more of a glib half-joke, since an exclusive Y+ toilet probably isn't a particularly important feature to consider when deciding to go for Y+ over Y (or indeed, Y+ instead of J).
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
PEY cheaper than cheapest Y

So was pricing out flights near Christmas on SQ25/26 and it looks like PEY is cheaper than the cheapest Y fare (both options are with the same return flight in Y on SQ26 in January):

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 20.59.49.png
Views: 1479
Size:  223.6 KB
Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 21.00.22.png
Views: 1493
Size:  228.8 KB

So is PEY doing that badly out of JFK or is SQ Y just that popular lol...

Very very tempted to book (PEY for the roundtrip is $1598) but some other masochistic part of me wants to fly LGA-IAH-DME-SIN in Y for about the same price. Hmm.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:33 pm

About once every couple of months, mostly in J. The few times I flew in Y, yes.

Judging from my experience and that of my friends, IF the IFS comes to acknowledge you personally and welcome you on board at the start of the flight (which for PPS, they should be doing, but it's not always consistent), they usually will issue the FT card.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:35 pm

I actually think they might have done too good of a job, because my impression from people's reactions to Y+ is that they'll stick to Y because Y+ isn't worth the premium.

That being said, my earlier comment was more of a glib half-joke, since an exclusive Y+ toilet probably isn't a particularly important feature to consider when deciding to go for Y+ over Y (or indeed, Y+ instead of J).
Well, in the beginning, SQ was touting a BOTTLE OF WATER as a Y+ perk on their website, so....
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Well, in the beginning, SQ was touting a BOTTLE OF WATER as a Y+ perk on their website, so....
Wait, A BOTTLE OF WATER? Where do I sign up?!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Wait, A BOTTLE OF WATER? Where do I sign up?!
Ex Changi that is quite valuable. Grace to the painful security-at-the-gate paradigm paired with the War on Moisture, you cannot bring any nonalcoholic drinks on board whatsoever.

On lazier airlines than SQ, this can be a real problem.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by weero
Ex Changi that is quite valuable. Grace to the painful security-at-the-gate paradigm paired with the War on Moisture, you cannot bring any nonalcoholic drinks on board whatsoever.

On lazier airlines than SQ, this can be a real problem.
I don't think it's that big a deal. I can always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up after security. All of the gates I remember using at SIN have bottle filling stations.

Also, IIRC, some of the larger gate ares (the ones that serve several gates), which are used for longer flights (where presumably you'd want a bottle of water) also have kiosks that sell snacks/drinks/etc.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:47 pm

I don't think it's that big a deal. I can always bring an empty water bottle and fill it up after security. All of the gates I remember using at SIN have bottle filling stations.

Also, IIRC, some of the larger gate ares (the ones that serve several gates), which are used for longer flights (where presumably you'd want a bottle of water) also have kiosks that sell snacks/drinks/etc.

I'm with chisquared on this - it's a useless "perk". There are water coolers all over SIN.

And even if you're late for boarding, you just bring an empty bottle and ask the IFS to fill it up for you, which they always happily do.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:43 am

I you like luke-cold, stale water with an unknown degree of filtration and the uncertainty how long the security queues will be, then yes, Changi is great.

If you like any of the other 99999 drinks or be at the gate right in time for boarding ... then it sucks.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by weero
I you like luke-cold, stale water with an unknown degree of filtration and the uncertainty how long the security queues will be, then yes, Changi is great.

If you like any of the other 99999 drinks or be at the gate right in time for boarding ... then it sucks.
And how does the free water bottle in PEY fix this exactly?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:06 am

It's bottled water that doesn't taste like drinking pure chlorine.
If I wanted to bleach my teeth I'd have gone to a dentist, not to an airport :P
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:34 am

It fixes half of it ... the filtration part.

But much more importantly, it reduces the walks of shame of the other pax to the galleys, leaving oodles of soft drinks for myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.