Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by hondaman82
Happy Mother's Day,
I would like to use my SQ miles to book PEY for my Mom from LAX-SGN, but there is no option to book PEY on SQ site (only Y show), is it possible to book? thanks!
Hi hondaman82! It is currently not possible to redeem PEY flights using points [17 May Update: PEY redemptions have just been announced]. They haven't updated the award charts for this. (More details here).

It may be worthwhile to redeem Business Saver (or even First Saver) award tickets. Or do a one way Y saver in one direction and an F/J saver in the other direction.

I wouldn't recommend Y saver redemptions in general, because once you add up the taxes and surcharges, the cost of the Y saver redemption isn't much cheaper than buying a Y ticket.

Last edited by sqyf; May 17, 2016 at 3:53 am
Old May 17, 2016, 3:50 am

Good news! PEY awards are now available for redemption.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...news/PEY-annc/
Old May 17, 2016, 3:51 am

The availability of PEY awards was announced along with several other changes to Krisflyer. Other notable changes include the withdrawal of Full awards. Now just Saver and Standard awards are available (I doubt many people used Full awards because of the exorbitant number of points required).

Also on flights with a PEY cabin, it is no longer possible to redeem upgrades from Y to J. You can only do a one class upgrade from Y to PEY, or from PEY to J. Note that outright redemptions are still available for Y, PEY, J and F/Suites.

Last edited by sqyf; May 17, 2016 at 3:57 am
Old May 17, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by sqyf
The availability of PEY awards was announced along with several other changes to Krisflyer. Other notable changes include the withdrawal of Full awards. Now just Saver and Standard awards are available (I doubt many people used Full awards because of the exorbitant number of points required).

Also on flights with a PEY cabin, it is no longer possible to redeem upgrades from Y to J. You can only do a one class upgrade from Y to PEY, or from PEY to J. Note that outright redemptions are still available for Y, PEY, J and F/Suites.
But PE redemption rates seem to be so close to J redemption rates, and with taxes about the same, does not make sense to redeem for PEY
Old May 17, 2016, 7:51 am
formerly Fly-Swiss

Programs: SQ
Yeah it is a bit exaggerated. If I have to spend 62.5k on a Europe flight, I may as well go for the 80k business class. Not sure what are their intentions, they may want to discourage award tickets in PE.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah, it's madness to book PE on miles. Not even sure why people pay so much cash for those seats either.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, EK, FB, SPG
Originally Posted by sqyf

And more surprisingly is that those booked on full awards will be refunded the difference in miles with standard. Unfortunately Europe would be now under one zone; which will mean that the CPH, AMS, FCO, ATH 'loophole' is gone. Still many sweet spots on the chart like JNB and IST. On their new award upgrade chart; it's a shame for some that they only allow one class upgrades, but I would have to say that it is a welcome improvement considering how good SQ J is. Thankfully J-F upgrades are possible and given my travel patterns; it's cheaper for me to get a J ticket and get a standard upgrade then pay for a regular Suites ticket.
SQMI_OneWayUpgradeCharts.pdf
Old May 17, 2016, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by w4rd
Yeah, it's madness to book PE on miles. Not even sure why people pay so much cash for those seats either.
That's why the cabin is fairly small. I can see the draw when the premium is minimal; especially when booking last minute. Still don't see why would someone book PE when ME3 J can be purchased at around that ballpark on the routes they compete on.
Old May 17, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by expatOWflyer
And more surprisingly is that those booked on full awards will be refunded the difference in miles with standard. Unfortunately Europe would be now under one zone; which will mean that the CPH, AMS, FCO, ATH 'loophole' is gone. Still many sweet spots on the chart like JNB and IST. On their new award upgrade chart; it's a shame for some that they only allow one class upgrades, but I would have to say that it is a welcome improvement considering how good SQ J is. Thankfully J-F upgrades are possible and given my travel patterns; it's cheaper for me to get a J ticket and get a standard upgrade then pay for a regular Suites ticket.
Attachment 10768
On page 3, one could upgrade Economy to Biz.... or did I misunderstand your point about one class upgrade.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by expatOWflyer
That's why the cabin is fairly small. I can see the draw when the premium is minimal; especially when booking last minute. Still don't see why would someone book PE when ME3 J can be purchased at around that ballpark on the routes they compete on.
Because there's still a market for the diehard SQ fans and/or those who absolutely hate having their sleep interrupted by a stop in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha. My wife is one of the latter and would rather pay for PE even though J is just ~10-20% more on a ME3 airline.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:51 pm
THR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Because there's still a market for the diehard SQ fans and/or those who absolutely hate having their sleep interrupted by a stop in Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha. My wife is one of the latter and would rather pay for PE even though J is just ~10-20% more on a ME3 airline.
But it's not necessarily true that J is 10-20% more. At least not ex-Australia.

J is still at least 100% more.

EDIT: For my next trip, ME3 don't fly to the location in a very efficient way, so it works out being $18,000 instead of $4,000 (J vs PE).

Last edited by THR; May 17, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Old May 17, 2016, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by THR

Same from Europe.

I fly SQ because it's the most convenient way of reaching NZ from Europe with only one short(-ish) layover.
If I compare the price of the lowest Y class that pays 100% miles with the cheapest PE class (which also pays 100% miles regardless) the price difference is about 25% more, and that difference is justified IMHO on two back-to-back 12h flights.

In general it's about 2k€, while the cheapest J fares with one stop are generally 4k€ and up, so a solid 100% hike.

There would be the dirt cheap option of CA's PE cabin, but even for all faults of SQ's PE product the two cabins are not really comparable.

Last edited by malmostoso; May 18, 2016 at 4:04 am Reason: Accidentally a word
Old May 18, 2016, 12:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VOSGP
On page 3, one could upgrade Economy to Biz.... or did I misunderstand your point about one class upgrade.
You can only get Y-J upgrades when the aircraft you are on doesn't have a PE cabin.
Old May 18, 2016, 3:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Same from Europe.

I fly SQ because it's the most convenient way of reaching NZ from Europe with only one short(-ish) layover.
If I compare the price of the lowest Y class that pays 100% miles with the cheapest PE class (which also pays 100% miles regardless) the price difference is about 25% more, and that difference is justified IMHO on two back-to-back 12h flights.

In general it's about 2k€, while the cheapest J fares with one stop are generally 4k€ and up, so a solid 100% hike.

There would be the dirt cheap option of CA's PE cabin, but even for all of SQ's PE product the two cabins are not really comparable.
Well just out of curiosity LHR-AKL on SQ PE July 12-22 is 2.3k GBP(couldn't get it to show up on SQ both ways so used Travelocity) and CX J was 3.5k.
FRA-AKL was 1.8k for SQ PE and 3.3k for CX J
Old May 18, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by THR

EDIT: For my next trip, ME3 don't fly to the location in a very efficient way, so it works out being $18,000 instead of $4,000 (J vs PE).
Agreed, but that's because ex-ANZ, there will always be one stop regardless. You only tend to get the good deals for "one stop J" vs. "non-stop PEY" on Singapore-Europe flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.