FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1763931-singapore-premium-economy-anyone-used.html)

THR May 4, 2016 10:18 pm

Singapore Premium Economy - anyone used it?

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a duplicate or inappropriate place to be asking this question. I did a search of a couple of threads but couldn't find anything that related to Premium Economy and people's experiences.

We are booked return from SYD --> SIN in PE (and then onto MLE, economy) in June. The PE was just under twice the price of economy.

Recently I have really only heard bad news about people's experience Singapore PE - both in terms of the cabin (not being much better than econmy) and the food service. (From what someone else posted here I think it looks okay: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...841/2797086/L/ )

Does anyone have any good service or feedback about PE? As it's a little disheartening :confused:

Thanks for your feedback :)

tub May 4, 2016 11:58 pm

That's a surprise you couldn't find it on the forum.

Anyway, I've flown Premium Economy before (and posted the review before) in the link below. Should hopefully give you an idea of what to expect!

My Blog

Kelvin L May 5, 2016 12:00 am

there is one thread actually

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...m-economy.html

THR May 5, 2016 12:09 am

Thanks guys! I note my mistake now - I did a search within the 'General' thread, so it only returned results from that thread, not the entire forum itself. Whoops.

Everyone ignore this one from now as I shall explore the others :)

RTWFF May 5, 2016 12:59 am

An utter waste of money IMHO - see my post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...e-seating.html

weero May 5, 2016 7:51 am

did SQ let PE die?

Originally Posted by THR (Post 26579409)
..We are booked return from SYD --> SIN in PE (and then onto MLE, economy) in June. The PE was just under twice the price of economy..

Twice is steep but PE is a lot less exhausting than Y.

And at least you still get PE - on my European routes, SQ makes no effort anymore to introduce PE. On a market like say ZRH where the flag carrier only offers an abysmal Y product and no PE, SQ does not have to threaten their beloved J fares and does not offer PE at all :td: .

Pretty cheap and disappointing - I make evert effort nowish to avoid SQ for these silly tricks.

sqyf May 5, 2016 8:16 pm

5 Attachment(s)
I flew SQ Premium Economy from Singapore to London on the A380. It is definitely more comfortable than economy, and comparable to PEY on BA and LH.

The seats on the A380 are 2-4-2 (Main deck).

Attachment 6158 Attachment 6159 Attachment 6160

The IFE screen is huge, with great content. You also get the same noise cancelling headphones as business class.

Attachment 6161

Catering is similar to Y (Slightly better) with different selections, as well as book the cook options.

Attachment 6162

If you are interested in a detailed review, there is one here (Links to an external site.)

tub May 5, 2016 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by sqyf (Post 26583684)
I flew SQ Premium Economy from Singapore to London on the A380. It is definitely more comfortable than economy, and comparable to PEY on BA and LH.

Attachment 6158

Attachment 6159

Attachment 6160

The IFE screen is huge, with great content. You also get the same noise cancelling headphones as business class.

Attachment 6161

Catering is similar to Y (Slightly better) with different selections, as well as book the cook options.

Attachment 6162

If you are interested in a detailed review, there is one here (Links to an external site.)

Incorrect, you don't get the same noise cancelling headphones as business. PE is On-Ear whereas Business is over ear

sqyf May 6, 2016 12:18 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tub (Post 26584102)
Incorrect, you don't get the same noise cancelling headphones as business. PE is On-Ear whereas Business is over ear

Hmmm...interesting, I wonder if they are issuing different types of headphones on different aircraft, or if they have changed headphone models since then. At least on my recent flights, the business class headphones were the same as the ones I was given on PEY.

On my PE flight on the A380 a year back, these were the Phitek noise cancelling headphones provided....

Attachment 6183

...which were identical to the Phitek pair I was given on SQ318 in J a week ago (This was a 77WN).

Attachment 6184

expatOWflyer May 6, 2016 4:00 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 26580754)
Twice is steep but PE is a lot less exhausting than Y.

And at least you still get PE - on my European routes, SQ makes no effort anymore to introduce PE. On a market like say ZRH where the flag carrier only offers an abysmal Y product and no PE, SQ does not have to threaten their beloved J fares and does not offer PE at all :td: .

Pretty cheap and disappointing - I make evert effort nowish to avoid SQ for these silly tricks.

J fares ex-Europe are generally fairly cheap; I can find ex-FRA or AMS in J for under 3.5k routinely.
But ex-Singapore, SQ W compares very poorly with one stop ME3 J options.

weero May 6, 2016 4:42 am

Originally Posted by expatOWflyer (Post 26584611)
J fares ex-Europe are generally fairly cheap; I can find ex-FRA or AMS in J for under 3.5k routinely.
But ex-Singapore, SQ W compares very poorly with one stop ME3 J options.

Well you are right.

I don't need and hence don't want to pay for J as the journey to Europe is short enough for PE to be perfectly sufficient. And hence I am upset that SQ killed the PE product on routes where they have no non-stop PE competition. So for the time being, I have to fly BA, LH, and much more rarely CX or BR.

willythomas561 May 8, 2016 6:09 am

Attachment 6161

Attachment 6162

never tried that before i will try it for short haul in southeast asia route

THR May 8, 2016 6:31 am

Attachment 6161

Attachment 6162

Thank you very much for posting this. It was a very good read. Very detailed!

And the additional space alone has left my satisfied with my decision :)

sqyf May 8, 2016 7:53 am

Originally Posted by THR (Post 26593527)
Thank you very much for posting this. It was a very good read. Very detailed!

And the additional space alone has left my satisfied with my decision :)

Glad you enjoyed reading it, THR!

Have a great flight!

hondaman82 May 8, 2016 12:16 pm

Happy Mother's Day,
I would like to use my SQ miles to book PEY for my Mom from LAX-SGN, but there is no option to book PEY on SQ site (only Y show), is it possible to book? thanks!