No more A380 to HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:03 am

2024 Seasonal

https://mainlymiles.com/2024/02/28/h...380-route-cut/
Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
A380-to-B777 cut on the SYD route

Thank you for the link (particularly its related story about the A380 cut on the SYD route). We are unlucky to have an SQ222 F Suites booking in October when the A380->B777 change takes place, but lucky enough to rebook to that day's SQ232.

Now a question to the seasoned solo-A380-Suites pax: if you had reserved 1A or 1F, how willingly would you agree to change to 3A or 3F if asked after check-in whether 2A+3A (or 2F+3F) could travel together in the combined 1+2 instead?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Your question on 1A / F switching is a tricky one and it is entirely a personal decision of the individuals having reserved these suites.

You may get lucky, you may not. For starters, don't assume the person in 1A/F travels as a party of 1. They could very well be doing exactly what you are trying to do.

Secondly, the 3A/F are the "least preferred" of the 6 suites by many folks in my book, so I would reckon chances of success for switching could be lesser overall if the folks in 1A/F know what they secured and care about it.

Lastly, it is still SQA388 Suites so nothing to be sniffed at. It doesn't hurt to monitor the seat map and ask later on, but be gracious about it if the request is declined. YMMV.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:03 am

Supposed one was impacted by the aircraft swap. If one were to request to depart from pvg's a380 than hkg, would they be willing to accommodate without additional fees or they'd ask for mileage difference?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:24 am

I am sorry to say that I would not willingly swap to 3AF.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by demue
Your question on 1A / F switching is a tricky one and it is entirely a personal decision of the individuals having reserved these suites.
Indeed a tricky one and quite unique: on any airline and aircraft, I would by default pick 1A or 1F/K (2 only if Mrs T has 1). The only exception that I can imagine is as a solo traveler on SQ A388, which triggers a nagging feeling: "but if there are couples traveling, am I a bad 1A person to deny them the super-luxury of 1A/2A?" (and the fact that I have every right to reserve 1A will not remove the nagging feeling)

Originally Posted by demue
Lastly, it is still SQA388 Suites so nothing to be sniffed at. It doesn't hurt to monitor the seat map and ask later on, but be gracious about it if the request is declined. YMMV.

Originally Posted by epigram
I am sorry to say that I would not willingly swap to 3AF.
Nothing to be sorry about: I prefer having a realistic picture about our chances
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
Supposed one was impacted by the aircraft swap. If one were to request to depart from pvg's a380 than hkg, would they be willing to accommodate without additional fees or they'd ask for mileage difference?
I know someone swapped from PVG to HKG n SQ did not refund the difference.

most likely SQ will ask for the additional miles for you to swap to PVG.

else just change the date instead.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:50 pm

1A/2A are the suite seats. if you're trying to convince the person in 2A to move to 3A...best of luck. the people that fly these routes might do so regularly - you'd need to make sure they're not in a pissed off mood that day and/or find commonality in the reason why you and ur sig other are together.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.