Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Saver Awards Being Released for First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Are there any saver award tickets being released for First Class on their 777-300ER from LA to Singapore or Singapore to LA? Looking anywhere up to a year ahead, there are only waitlisted award seats for first class. I understand this was posted on another forum, but it didn't really answer my question. Unless SA doesn't release saver awards to every KrisFlyer member but only to PPS club members? It looks like as soon as a saver level award is released, it automatically becomes waitlisted...how is that? How do you even have a chance if it is automatically waitlisted as soon as its released?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:17 am

Usually for long haul, it is only advantage. Except for the LHR route (777 first class) of which you can see first class saver.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:35 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
No shortage of immediately available Advantage and also lots of Waitlist Saver (in F). I did a check and found immediate Saver availability on some dates:

SQ12:
Aug 26
Feb 22

SQ11:
Jul 29
Aug 7, 13, 20, 21, 23, 25
Sep 1
Jan 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 30
Feb 3, 13, 20

sbs2716g can run a check if this is a PPS only view...I have no idea
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
As a SQ nobody I couldn't see the February saver seats on SQ11, for either LAX-NRT or LAX-SIN.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
As a SQ nobody I couldn't see the February saver seats on SQ11, for either LAX-NRT or LAX-SIN.
Ah ok...oh well.

Here's my view:

Old Mar 22, 2024, 2:38 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Lots of dates for SYD-SIN-LAX at Saver award for PPS members. In fact I will be doing this in a few months.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:24 am

a very compelling reason to achieve PPS
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by richardcrow
Are there any saver award tickets being released for First Class on their 777-300ER from LA to Singapore or Singapore to LA? Looking anywhere up to a year ahead, there are only waitlisted award seats for first class. I understand this was posted on another forum, but it didn't really answer my question. Unless SA doesn't release saver awards to every KrisFlyer member but only to PPS club members? It looks like as soon as a saver level award is released, it automatically becomes waitlisted...how is that? How do you even have a chance if it is automatically waitlisted as soon as its released?
You are looking for the exact same thing than many, many folks with stacks of miles (often from generous credit card sign ups and promos in the US). Don't underestimate that. Everyone and their grandmother (figuratively speaking) is keen on Saver Award US - SE Asia vv in First (sorry no suites for now) on SQ following the same approach that has been preached, hyped, milked by travel bloggers that conveniently also happen to offer affiliate credit card links. Hence, it is competitive these days.

With only 4 seats, for non PPS, these days it is either saver wait list or Advantage award. Also if one wants more than one seat it may not always be available straight aways even at Advantage levels.

Doesn't mean there is zero chance, but it certainly isn't very high. As some of our regular posters have shared in many other similar threads in this forum before, we all have seen SQ let the plane leave with empty F or Suites seats while some of us had saver or even advantage wait lists still pending (not possible any longer these days as wait lists get either confirmed or cancelled 14 days before your flight).

​​​​This is quite a stark contrast to US based carriers where often every seat in F or J/C is ultimately filled with people who pay up, upgrade with miles / upgrade Instruments or get bumped up based on status.

Last edited by demue; Mar 22, 2024 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
You are looking for the exact same thing than many, many folks with stacks of miles (often from generous credit card sign ups and promos in the US). Don't underestimate that. Everyone and their grandmother (figuratively speaking) is keen on Saver Award US - SE Asia vv in First (sorry no suites for now) on SQ following the same approach that has been preached, hyped, milked by travel bloggers that conveniently also happen to offer affiliate credit card links. Hence, it is competitive these days.

With only 4 seats, for non PPS, these days it is either saver wait list or Advantage award. Also if one wants more than one seat it may not always be available straight aways even at Advantage levels.

Doesn't mean there is zero chance, but it certainly isn't very high. As some of our regular posters have shared in many other similar threads in this forum before, we all have seen SQ let the plane leave with empty F or Suites seats while some of us had saver or even advantage wait lists still pending (not possible any longer these days as wait lists get either confirmed or cancelled 14 days before your flight).

​​​​This is quite a stark contrast to US based carriers where often every seat in F or J/C is ultimately filled with people who pay up, upgrade with miles / upgrade Instruments or get bumped up based on status.
Ok, that is what I heard as well. Now, two questions, 1) if I call them and talk with an agent, is it possible they may book a saver award for me since their view is different? 2) How does one even become PPS club member? From my understanding, it literally requires you to travel a certain amount within 12 months on Singapore Airlines (which the vast majority of people will not do), does that sound correct?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:06 pm

1) if I call them and talk with an agent, is it possible they may book a saver award for me since their view is different?
No, the agents will not deviate from the availability you see. I'm not privy to what the agents see but I would suspect it's based on your membership status.

2) How does one even become PPS club member? From my understanding, it literally requires you to travel a certain amount within 12 months on Singapore Airlines (which the vast majority of people will not do), does that sound correct?
Yes, spend $25K SGD (approx $18.5K USD) in 12 months on flights in F or J only. You can read more here: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...b/the-ppsclub/

​​​​​​
demue and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by epigram
a very compelling reason to achieve PPS
(much) easier said than done unfortunately
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpk6h
No, the agents will not deviate from the availability you see. I'm not privy to what the agents see but I would suspect it's based on your membership status.

Yes, spend $25K SGD (approx $18.5K USD) in 12 months on flights in F or J only. You can read more here: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...b/the-ppsclub/

​​​​​​
Ok, that is what I expected. In that case, unless you literally are literally flying AT LEAST twice on Singapore Airlines business class a year while paying full ticket price, there is literally no way to get PPS status, and by extension, close to zero chance of grabbing saver awards for F…as there is probably literally no one who flies to Singapore twice a year in the US while paying full price for J unless they do it for work. I mean, how did you get PPS?

On another note, someone should really call out these travel “guru’s” on TPG and such who make it sound like all you need is a credit card and points to book Singapore F. They never mentioned this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:31 pm

LITERALLY!!!!

XD

I'm not following your final point there - all you need IS points to book Singapore F (well and taxes/fees of course, like any award flight)... Post-covid award availability is pretty rough on all Asian carriers, which I see Lucky and other bloggers mention with some frequency these days. Pesky supply and demand.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pesos
LITERALLY!!!!

XD

I'm not following your final point there - all you need IS points to book Singapore F (well and taxes/fees of course, like any award flight)... Post-covid award availability is pretty rough on all Asian carriers, which I see Lucky and other bloggers mention with some frequency these days. Pesky supply and demand.
Just as an example...

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/the-b...s-first-class/

​​​​​​https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/ai...s-first-class/

https://onemileatatime.com/guides/re...s-first-class/

These are just some of the main articles that pop up when doing a Google search for "booking Singapore Airlines first class with miles".

None of them mention PPS club. Given its post covid, that IS pretty darn important, doncha think?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:22 am

As pesos said all you need is points...plenty of opportunities to fly F at Advantage rate. As for PPS, yeah surprise surprise some of us live in Singapore/Asia and fly (have flown) SQ business class almost weekly for work...not hard to exceed many multiples of $25K. The old Solitaire threshold was $250K (within 5 years)...just imagine.

* As for those bloggers, you don't suppose they are trying to entice you to click on their articles, do you? 🤔
chris63 and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by bpk6h; Mar 23, 2024 at 12:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.