Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketing currency

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Ticketing currency

I am trying to book DEL - SIN - HKG on the SQ website. The site quotes in INR. Is there any way to change the ticketing currency to SGD or USD or any other major currency?

Changing the location settings to any other country does not help as the website seems to take the originating country's currency as the default ticketing currency.

Other OTA's are quoting in other currencies but I would like to use any airline website only.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 6, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When you pay with credit card, your bank will convert the amount in INR to your currency...what is the problem?...

Anyway, as for your question, you can not ask SQ to charge you in other currency than INR when you book a ticket ex. India.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
When you pay with credit card, your bank will convert the amount in INR to your currency...what is the problem?...

Anyway, as for your question, you can not ask SQ to charge you in other currency than INR when you book a ticket ex. India.
Thanks.

My card is issued in India and I get double points if I use it for transactions in other currencies.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
No chance to change the currency unfortunately. SQ is either bounded to sell the ticket in a particular currency or does not want to take unnecessary foreign exchange risks by selling in another currency.

Why not buy it from the OTA if you want to get the double points?
Old May 7, 2014, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anaidross
No chance to change the currency unfortunately. SQ is either bounded to sell the ticket in a particular currency or does not want to take unnecessary foreign exchange risks by selling in another currency.

Why not buy it from the OTA if you want to get the double points?
Thanks. Spends directly with any airline give much higher points!
Old May 7, 2014, 7:14 am
kkl

is the currency determined by departure airport or geolocation? if latter, try vpn?
Old May 7, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by vikasr
I guess you have to weigh the pros and the cons then and choose one that is most optimum for you.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am trying to book DEL - SIN - HKG on the SQ website. The site quotes in INR. Is there any way to change the ticketing currency to SGD or USD or any other major currency?...
One the web, airlines are required to ticket by local office of origination, INR in your case. If you go to SQ ticketing office, they will ticket in local currency of that office. For example, you can go to SQ office in SIN and purchase ticket in SGD. You need to go in person, this won't work by phone.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Travel agencies (including online ones) tend to use the airline's merchant account when issuing tickets if it is published fare that is found in the GDS. Your credit card bill will show up as "Singapore Airlines" (provided the travel agency inputs your credit card number into the "form of payment" field of your PNR and use the GDS [as opposed to their own credit card machine] to obtain credit card approval). As far as the credit company is concerned, you would be spending directly with the airline.

Only when certain discounted/bulk fares are issued (or when the "form of payment" is entered as "cash", "invoice", "agt", "check" etc.), would the travel agency's name show up on the credit card bill.
Old May 9, 2014, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
Travel agencies (including online ones) tend to use the airline's merchant account when issuing tickets if it is published fare that is found in the GDS. Your credit card bill will show up as "Singapore Airlines" (provided the travel agency inputs your credit card number into the "form of payment" field of your PNR and use the GDS [as opposed to their own credit card machine] to obtain credit card approval). As far as the credit company is concerned, you would be spending directly with the airline.

Only when certain discounted/bulk fares are issued (or when the "form of payment" is entered as "cash", "invoice", "agt", "check" etc.), would the travel agency's name show up on the credit card bill.
This looks to be a good option. I will check with the OTAs how they do the billing and use the appropriate one. Would you be knowing which OTAs would show the airline name in my statement?
Old May 9, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Ticketing currency

Expedia does - atleast for the tickets I've booked via them (Usually AA on the US site and 9W/some LCCs on the SG site).
Old May 9, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Thanks.

My card is issued in India and I get double points if I use it for transactions in other currencies.
Beware the 3 to 3.75% Visa/Mastercard or AMEX will add as foreign transaction fee. Sometimes negates the extra points you get for foreign currency transactions
Old May 9, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I've been never been able to change the ticketing currency short of calling a travel agency in a different country. This is why I often book on Expedia.

Otherwise my credit cards all are fee-free, so in the end I now just book directly.
Old May 10, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Ticketing currency

Recently, going through the booking process, I thought I saw an option to pick and select currency at the end (last final page). Can't reminder if this was for my ex-SIN flight or ex-India flight. I think it was ex-India.

Try going through the process till the last payment page and see if this is true .
Old May 11, 2014, 12:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SQueeze
Recently, going through the booking process, I thought I saw an option to pick and select currency at the end (last final page). Can't reminder if this was for my ex-SIN flight or ex-India flight. I think it was ex-India.

Try going through the process till the last payment page and see if this is true .
There is a tool to convert fare currency, but this does not affect the currency charged in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.