Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think Emirates is superior to SQ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by aster
I wonder how both airlines will react to someone showing up with 32kg. Emirates will likely try to shake them down for extra cash, especially since they'll harass someone in F over 2kg as well!
Turned up to an SQ flight more than one time with 3.5KG over the limit. Nobody said a thing.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Turned up to an SQ flight more than one time with 3.5KG over the limit. Nobody said a thing.
Is this after they raised their limits?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by FN-GM
SQ generally will give you a couple of extra kg leeway in economy. More if you're in J or F.

The only exception to the rule are the USA flights where even J / F class have to adhere to the maximum permitted weight rule. I have seen SQ ask F class passengers take out stuff to stay within the permitted allowance.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
SQ generally will give you a couple of extra kg leeway in economy. More if you're in J or F.
That's always been the case - I'm just wondering how things look like ever since they've upped their limits by 10 kgs. It would be good to know that they are still flexible, so if anyone's taken a flight in the last couple of days then we're all ears.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:40 pm

Is this after they raised their limits?
Before.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by silver-tls
SQ wins in having their Suites, First, Biz seats so wide. Emirates and SQ suites are comparable but I don't like how EK stuffs the bedding right behind the seat.
What do you mean? The bedding materials stored behind the seat are all very well-packaged/sealed, and often, the cabin crews need keys or some sharp device to break them lose, so it's not as if they are giving you dirty sheets.

Also, EK offers two spa showers for F pax on the A380, something that SQ cannot match and I love the feeling of being clean before I put my pajamas and go to sleep on the flight, it makes me feel I'm almost home.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I think both SQ and EK have great products but one or the other may be better in different situations.

EK is more cramped in Y, yes, but on a flight with a light load I would much rather have ICE for 8 hours than SQ's strange selection of IFE (though it has improved of late).

SQ J is much more spacious for lounging, watching movies, though I wish the seat would recline more. In bed mode, I find it much easier to sleep in the angled EK J seat than in the strangely shaped SQ seat.

EK service in Y has been declining, it is now nothing extraordinary. SQ has improved - I find the crew less robotic and have had some excellent service. Though I was pretty disappointed with SQ F (haven't flown them in Suites), whereas EK F (on the 777, not the 380) has a special feeling to it.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:24 am

EK is inferior to SQ across the board, in all classes of travel. The difference might be less in say Suites and much more so in biz or Y (where they squeeze people in like cattle), but in general EK doesn't match up on any level. It's like a soccer team that has a worse goalie, defence, midfield and strikers to their competition that they seem to try to emulate so hard.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact most airlines don't match up to SQ regardless of class of travel.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..their competition that they seem to try to emulate so hard.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact most airlines don't match up to SQ regardless of class of travel.
SQ has a enviable reputation and a fraction of it is even based on reality and facts. But I cannot see a single point where EK is trying to emulate SQ.

Especially not in coach which EK clearly markets as a decent value for a great price product whereas SQ tries - almost as bad as LH - to extort disproportional fares from business travelers in coach while not offering them anything more than the family of three who paid roughly the same for all of them except for a few RDM.

I do not think that these carriers fight over the same customers.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:43 pm

Not sure about coach, but both strive to be seen as the world's best when it comes to premium cabins, especially Suites.

Emirates is also aggressively targeting the thru traffic between Europe and Australia. They're doing a good job at it too, whereas SQ is overpriced.

All my recent trips to Sydney have been on BA in fact. Not only did I get the best price by far, but their family membership scheme allows me to scoop up the miles for all 4 of us. There's none of this Emirates/Qatar daylight robbery of giving you... 20% of what you should earn, and as for SQ, well, they have no family scheme whatsoever.

Plus my recent reservation on BA must have been some sort of special promo because not only was the price great, but for the return leg we are in Y+ at no additional cost.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Not sure about coach, but both strive to be seen as the world's best when it comes to premium cabins, especially Suites.

Emirates is also aggressively targeting the thru traffic between Europe and Australia. They're doing a good job at it too, whereas SQ is overpriced.

All my recent trips to Sydney have been on BA in fact. Not only did I get the best price by far, but their family membership scheme allows me to scoop up the miles for all 4 of us. There's none of this Emirates/Qatar daylight robbery of giving you... 20% of what you should earn, and as for SQ, well, they have no family scheme whatsoever.

Plus my recent reservation on BA must have been some sort of special promo because not only was the price great, but for the return leg we are in Y+ at no additional cost.
Aster it seems as you are benefitting from the competition on that route with BA having to agressively price their product.

I used to travel a lot to Africa and clearly Emirates is better as SIA has no african destination. Emirates flys to a lot more destiantions so is better on that front.

I have been travelling a lot from beijing to brisbane on SIA. Its great in Y because the cabins have been 50% full. The service is great but then again not many people to deal with. Im not sure how long SIA can run like that though.

I prefer Dubai to Changi airport.

SIA does nothing to reward frequent flyers wheras Emirates has a much better program.

Who cares about suites, rarely does anyone get to sit in them. If you can afford to buy them you really dont have a problem who you use.

If im flying to a destination that is serviced by either on a regular basis you will find me more on Emirates.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 12:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Erh , how about CPT , JNB ??

Have not been in the new EK terminal , do not care for their airport - lounges are fine though.

SIN/Changi is a breeze , & comparatively ' calm ' unlike DXB.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by geminidreams
SIA has no african destination.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Ok a small number of African destinations.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:33 am

A fairly good description here:

http://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/2...at-way-to-fly/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.