Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think Emirates is superior to SQ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by lsed
Perhaps that's why it's said that SQ service can be a bit more robotic.
This is the only downside I find in SQ service. You will notice that evidently at the galley where you find the purser always talking to FAs in a shouting manner.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have never got impressed with flying EK even in F or J. However, SQ F and J are very impressive for me.
Yes but it has to been in the price perspective. EK is just a large LCC in my eyes with a mildly overpriced but decent Premium Coach product (old Biz), a terrible coach seat on the 777. Unlike Scoot they offer something like a rudimentary FFP and free meals. But other their premium eco, they are very price competitive.
The contrast ex SIN - where all charge ridiculous prices - isn't as stark as everywhere else.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Originally Posted by lsed
Perhaps that's why it's said that SQ service can be a bit more robotic.
This is the only downside I find in SQ service. You will notice that evidently at the galley where you find the purser always talking to FAs in a shouting manner.
I've found this happening more and more even along the isles....
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Although comparable in Suites, SQ is by far better in C and Y. And in terms of service, I have yet to see a crew more polished and prepared to deal with passangers than SQ.

And above all: no airline is consistent like SQ.

I have had excellent and mediocre service on CX. Never on SQ... Always very good or excellent.

And when you deal with a high end market, consistency is your best friend.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by ttravelator
I'm a long time advocate of SIA, but Emirates are seeming like a better option for service, product, and value. What do you think?
Going back to your original quote.

In Y, I'd say SQ has better service, better product (3-3-3 on 777's is a good starting point for product) but EK perhaps tip SQ out on the "value" scale. I guess we all have a price point, and for me, to take an example, if I can fly in EK for $750 return from SIN to MEL, whilst SQ is around $1200, I will take EK (well almost, I'd take the QF code on EK metal). If the comparison was $850 on SQ vs $750 EK I'd probably go with SQ.

As for FF programs, Krisflyer is commonly known as one of the stingier programs when it comes to flying and earning (CC's are a different matter), and Skywards used to be quite reasonable. Now I'd say Skywards is probably the inferior program for a range of reasons, but that's from a relatively infrequent flyer (on EK) point of view.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I was on EK's F and met and chatted with the crew, most were ex, SQ,TG and MH girls. All were talkative but one especially the SQ girl complained about the job. I was really surprised that she opened up to us.

Now SQ, on the other hand, yes the boys and girls are robotic, they cannot seem to start & continue a conversation. SQ used to be good but lately they seem to have a care less attitude. It is apt to happen, the world is changing.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Now SQ, on the other hand, yes the boys and girls are robotic, they cannot seem to start & continue a conversation.
The conversation thing can be a double edged sword. Many times on some other airlines,(particularly one with a marsupial painted on its tail), I've seen crew strike up terrific conversations with individuals, and then singling out said individuals for special treatment during the remainder of the flight -at the expense of others. Whilst that is fantastic for said individual, it is not good for other passengers. Something I've not seen very often (or at all) on SQ in J.

One thing I like about SQ is you don't need to invest in building rapport with the crew do get decent service on board. (And note I am not talking about simple thank yous, pleases and basic greetings, I think these are basics - although you don't even need to do that on SQ, I have seen many people - who are very demanding or not acknowledge the crew at all, treating them like servants, I guess that is cultural, but nevertheless makes me wish the crew would special them out for a certain kind of "special" treatment... )
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I think EK has much better food in F.

Seats A380 F SQ 777-300ER F EK (slight)

Flight attendants EK young and they chat. SQ is a mix bag, professional yes but robotic.

EK has limo service, SQ does not.

EK F amenity kit is far better then SQ.

EK on the routes I have flown are cheaper in F

Originally Posted by ttravelator
I'm a long time advocate of SIA, but Emirates are seeming like a better option for service, product, and value. What do you think?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:16 am

SQ is better than EK~~~~~~
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:47 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Although comparable in Suites, SQ is by far better in C and Y. And in terms of service, I have yet to see a crew more polished and prepared to deal with passangers than SQ.

And above all: no airline is consistent like SQ.

I have had excellent and mediocre service on CX. Never on SQ... Always very good or excellent.

And when you deal with a high end market, consistency is your best friend.
^

All things considered , still SQ .

The new SQ ' flight path / info " is way too ' small ' for easy viewing on the large screen.. Poor colour contrasts / font sizes. Prefer " old " one.

Bring the 747 back - the new 747 - 8s , of course !!
Nice large windows.

Some should be receiving the SIA 2014 calendars & diaries soon , if not already in hand. Thankfully not in Jan or Feb as in some years ..
Pity , SQ does not provide their front office / customer service teams these calendars early .
Another disconnect again .. Hopefully , if management is reading this , calendars will appear for their staff by this month. They can then help us sort our trips easily for '14

Pity EK does not have choice of 3 desserts like before
But their limo is a definite plus.
Also the cameras & decent ' flight path ' system.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 6, 2013 at 4:47 am Reason: Add info
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So maybe CX is better than both SQ and EK?

http://people.cathaypacific.com/peop...ry/doris-wong#!

"A while ago my supervisor called me into her office and I thought, “Uh, oh, what have I done?” When I arrived, she handed me a large envelope with “To Doris at Meet the Team, Cathay Pacific” written on it. I opened it and inside were some drawings and a message from a 5-year old boy in Germany. “I know who you are,” he wrote, “You spill things on people.”

Oh, my goodness! The little boy had read my first story on this site in which I mentioned that on my first day as a flight attendant I had spilled a tray of drinks on a passenger. I was so touched by his note I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. All I can say is I’m much better now. I haven’t spilled anything on anyone for ages!
It’s understanding people that makes them feel special.
Before I joined Cathay Pacific, I was a fashion model for a while, but my mum wasn’t happy about that kind of job for me, so I went to work in an office. But I hated office life, so I applied for a flight attendant position with Cathay Pacific. I was amazed how difficult the selection process was. I think there were five rounds.

The training was really interesting. I remember our tutor putting a large M on the floor and asking us to study it. Immediately we could see that from one angle it looked like a W and from another angle an E. The point was that people don’t always see things the same way – and it’s understanding people that makes them feel special. I’ve always remembered that lesson and it has helped me a lot.

My first few months of flying were tough. I found it hard sleeping in all those unfamiliar hotels. At first I used to leave the light on in case there were ghosts. But then I didn’t get any sleep at all and I got so tired. But now I’ve got used to it and I can sleep anywhere.

I’ve learned a lot too. I had a lady passenger once who just fainted in the middle of the aisle. But I knew what to do and helped her. I could never have done that before I worked for Cathay Pacific, so I’m quite proud of myself.

Also, I’m learning calm from my two lovely cats. I used to be a dog person. Dogs are so passionate and excitable – like I used to be. But cats are cool and at peace with themselves. So I’m learning to be more like my cats, especially on busy flights.
I’m learning calm from my two lovely cats.
At Cathay Pacific we offer a huge selection of special meals: everything from Kosher and Halal to Low Fat, Diabetic, No Beef, you name it. On some flights it seems that every passenger has ordered a special meal. So you really have to be on your toes and stay calm to make sure it all goes smoothly. It’s such a great feeling when the crew all work together and everything just clicks.

When I get home, even if I’m tired, I look at my lovely cats and see how calm they are. Just like me.
"

The hidden meaning, she has 2 pussies and she is learning calmness from them, maybe the SQ and EK people should learn a thing or two from this.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 5, 2013 at 5:50 am
Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: SQ & QF
I wish SQ would offer the destinations EK offer
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:47 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by djjaguar64

So maybe CX is better than both SQ and EK?

http://people.cathaypacific.com/peop...ry/doris-wong#!

At Cathay Pacific we offer a huge selection of special meals: everything from Kosher and Halal to Low Fat, Diabetic, No Beef, you name it. On some flights it seems that every passenger has ordered a special meal. So you really have to be on your toes and stay calm to make sure it all goes smoothly. It’s such a great feeling when the crew all work together and everything just clicks.

When I get home, even if I’m tired, I look at my lovely cats and see how calm they are. Just like me.[/I]"

The hidden meaning, she has 2 pussies and she is learning calmness from them, maybe the SQ and EK people should learn a thing or two from this.

Just more creative advertising ..
Both SQ & EK have wide special meals selection .
SQ crew provide better level of service .

Originally Posted by FN-GM
I wish SQ would offer the destinations EK offer
Sure will be nice

Along with the 747-8s :-:
Old Nov 9, 2013, 7:48 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
No comparison really, EK is just a SQ wannabee but isn't in the same league.

3-3-3 vs 3-4-3 in econ makes a difference. Squeezing 7 seats in a row in biz on the 77W whereas SQ has just 4 (everybody has direct aisle access)? Wow.

Wouldn't be surprised if their biz was cheaper, but then is it really the same product if they ram in so many more seats?

Not that long ago I got my parents some award flights in SQ Suites, and after a stopover they continued on EK, in their suites. Both flights were nice, but SQ won overall, quite convincingly in fact.

Also be aware that EK is like a budget airline when it comes to luggage allowance. SQ gives a lot of leeway to premium class passengers, whereas EK will even harass someone travelling in Suites in an effort to shake them down for extra cash over like 2-3 kg.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:01 pm

Friendly cabin crew
SQ - Most are robotic but it seems to me that it looks very professional like other Asian airlines - maybe they are too busy to do their job and no time for chatting with pax in Y. I had a bad experience cos I was surprised that a female flight attendant was so rude to me and refused to help me. Her male workmates saw her and felt so embarrassed. I have seen some youtube re trip report, I was surprised to see that they seem soo friendly when pax were boarding on A380s. Has it been changed??

If you have flown on TG, TG cabin crew are friendly and look much better than SQ - they aren't robotic.

EK - Wow... it's much better than my expectation. They are so friendly, love to chat with pax and have been so thoughtful, considerate and helpful... That's bonus!!

Inflight meals.
SQ - it's okay... nothing special but I love Singapore food. It's still chinese food lol.
EK - looks different - it makes me feel like I'm in the middle east. However, it looks very similar to the indian food. But the size of EK's tray looks bigger than other airlines. lol
2nd meals (both SQ and EK) are the same.

Inflight entertainment
SQ - same as other 5-star airlines.
EK - much better than SQ as it has got lots of good movies and new movies (the lastest movies at the cinema that are available at either last month or next month). Bonus.

Amenity Kits
SQ - I didn't have amenity kits in the international but I heard it that it has one for the Y class pax. They have changed it?
EK - No - even no amenity kits on night time flights.

Checked Baggage allowance
SQ - 20kg per person for Y
EK - 30kg per person for Y - Bonus!!

Airlines hub/home
SQ - Not many shops around and don't open 24 hours. Some shops are closed at after midnight. (if im wrong let me know).
EK - big airport with lots of space under the roof... lots of shopping around and open 24 hours.

Then I would choose EK over SQ.

Last edited by Bluesky; Nov 9, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.