Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 6:38 am

And I checked the lounge. It's still there...
Old May 16, 2017, 10:32 am

Guys,

I am traveling from MEM-DPS in October. My planned route is MEM-SFO-HKG-SIN-DPS via SA. I am wondering about the checked baggage situation since I will be buying a ticket from MEM-SFO on United then using Kris flyer to buy first class the rest of the trip. My question is when I get to SFO will I have to exit the airport to get my baggage and check back in since these will be separate billed tickets? Thanks for the help and let me know if more information is needed.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by wascott2
Guys,

I am traveling from MEM-DPS in October. My planned route is MEM-SFO-HKG-SIN-DPS via SA. I am wondering about the checked baggage situation since I will be buying a ticket from MEM-SFO on United then using Kris flyer to buy first class the rest of the trip. My question is when I get to SFO will I have to exit the airport to get my baggage and check back in since these will be separate billed tickets? Thanks for the help and let me know if more information is needed.
I did a JFK-SFO on UA and SFO-ICN on SQ back in 2013. Econ to Econ. UA managed to check the baggage all the way to ICN.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
quick question: is there any difference in mileage accrual, change fees, etc based on whether you book on a 3rd party site vs. SingaporeAir as long as the fare bucket is the same?
Old May 18, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by the_jaguar
quick question: is there any difference in mileage accrual, change fees, etc based on whether you book on a 3rd party site vs. SingaporeAir as long as the fare bucket is the same?
To the best of my knowledge, mileage accrual is based on the fare class of your purchased ticket, irrespective of whether you book from airline website or OTA. Nuances come into play here when it is code-shared, or marketed by X where X is not the operating airline etc.

Change fees is always subject to the agency you book from, whether is it directly from the airline website or OTA
Old May 19, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gnomey
To the best of my knowledge, mileage accrual is based on the fare class of your purchased ticket, irrespective of whether you book from airline website or OTA. Nuances come into play here when it is code-shared, or marketed by X where X is not the operating airline etc.

Change fees is always subject to the agency you book from, whether is it directly from the airline website or OTA
got it - thanks, this was helpful.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:51 am

Does a sector with a Swiss flight number operated by Edelweiss earn miles on SQ?
Old May 20, 2017, 8:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends on if it is a wet lease flight (i.e. essentially Swiss but using Edelweiss aircraft and crew), which earns the same as any Swiss flight, or a full codeshare flight (no earning because Edelweiss is not a *A member or a silver kris partner).
Old May 27, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE) / BA GOLD (OWE)/ CI Emerald (ST E+)/ SQ PPS (*G)
Noob question:
Trying to book a HKG-SYD via SIN in J, all flights on waitlist but one with a long 8 hour layover.

Can I book the flight with the long layover and then waitlist the others, then when other flights clear then cancel the original booking?

P.S. Anyone with experience transferring miles from HSBC Hong Kong to Krisflyer? HSBC customer service claims it takes 4-6 weeks, which is really stressing me out...
Old May 27, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I've booked SQ flights in suites twice in the past, but I was looking for some trips this time and I see zero saver ability. Have they made it harder to redeem in the past year?
Old May 27, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by oliver_dvs
Noob question:
Trying to book a HKG-SYD via SIN in J, all flights on waitlist but one with a long 8 hour layover.

Can I book the flight with the long layover and then waitlist the others, then when other flights clear then cancel the original booking?

P.S. Anyone with experience transferring miles from HSBC Hong Kong to Krisflyer? HSBC customer service claims it takes 4-6 weeks, which is really stressing me out...
Yes you can. But reverse the order: waitlist your desired flights first, then book the one with the 8-hour layover. You need to have the points in your account to waitlist and/or ticket, but they are not deducted when you waitlist, only when you make a ticketed booking. If/when the waitlisted flight clears, call in to cancel the original flight and apply the miles to the cleared flight.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:47 pm

Hi,

What happens if I want to redeem a round trip, but the departure leg is waitlisted?

Do I still need to pay cash and deduct my miles first?

Thanks!
Old May 28, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by Traflying
Hi,

What happens if I want to redeem a round trip, but the departure leg is waitlisted?

Do I still need to pay cash and deduct my miles first?

Thanks!
I believe eticket cannot be issued, so book it as one ways then, its your call.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: KF
Originally Posted by Red259
I've booked SQ flights in suites twice in the past, but I was looking for some trips this time and I see zero saver ability. Have they made it harder to redeem in the past year?
bit of luck now or maybe book when they load that flight, usually 350 days or so in advance, but still , be quick! besides what is 30 usd cancellation fee.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wanderer9020
bit of luck now or maybe book when they load that flight, usually 350 days or so in advance, but still , be quick! besides what is 30 usd cancellation fee.
Yea I am more of a last minute trip type guy vs booking stuff a year in advance. Still it used to be much much easier to find waitlist opportunities with SQ even as recently as last spring/summer when I had two roundtrip bookings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.