Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Will SQ ever allow partner programs to book F/J ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will SQ ever allow partner programs to book F/J ?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm sorry but it really frustrates me that SQ restricts J/F award space for partner programs while KF members get to redeem on other partner carriers without much restrictions. If this keeps up, I really wouldn't mind seeing SQ getting swapped for CX or seeing SQ get kicked out. Ugh.

Other partner carriers might as well restrict their J/F award space on KF flyers as well :rollseyes:
Old May 15, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I'm sorry but it really frustrates me that SQ restricts J/F award space for partner programs while KF members get to redeem on other partner carriers without much restrictions. If this keeps up, I really wouldn't mind seeing SQ getting swapped for CX or seeing SQ get kicked out. Ugh. Other partner carriers might as well restrict their J/F award space on KF flyers as well :rollseyes:
It's not that unusual. LH and LX now severely restrict awards seats for *A partners. Do you want to kick them out as well? There is usually a strong correlation between airline quality and availability of award seats. Just because one can find lots of F awards seats on UA, doesn't mean that people want to fly them.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO777
It's not that unusual. LH and LX now severely restrict awards seats for *A partners. Do you want to kick them out as well? There is usually a strong correlation between airline quality and availability of award seats. Just because one can find lots of F awards seats on UA, doesn't mean that people want to fly them.
LH/LX did restrict award seats for *A partners but they still release seats closer to the date of departure unlike SQ.

I understand there usually is a strong correlation between airline quality and availability of award seats. But do most top quality airlines release F seats?

Let's see:
CX [X]
QF [X]
OZ [X]
NH [X] *Mainly during the winter months*
Old May 15, 2012, 1:14 pm

I'm sorry but it really frustrates me that SQ restricts J/F award space for partner programs while KF members get to redeem on other partner carriers without much restrictions. If this keeps up, I really wouldn't mind seeing SQ getting swapped for CX or seeing SQ get kicked out. Ugh.

Other partner carriers might as well restrict their J/F award space on KF flyers as well :rollseyes:
Not saying that what SQ does is correct, but rest assured that KF members will not be in a rush to use KF miles to redeem on *A airlines.

This has nothing to do with the quality of other *A airlines w.r.t. SQ, but rather, it is because SQ charges an even more exorbitant number of miles to travel on parter flights than their already higher-than-normal redemption rates for SQ flights.

Those who wish to redeem on *A parters will usually have another *A FFP to accrue with such as BD, LH, A3, etc.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
But most of the Middle Eastern airlines depart or come back at unearthly hours, whereas SQ arrivals and departures are at more reasonable hours
You are right on the scheduling, but soft times are prompting numerous companies to manage expense more.

Originally Posted by eriond
Not saying that what SQ does is correct, but rest assured that KF members will not be in a rush to use KF miles to redeem on *A airlines.

This has nothing to do with the quality of other *A airlines w.r.t. SQ, but rather, it is because SQ charges an even more exorbitant number of miles to travel on parter flights than their already higher-than-normal redemption rates for SQ flights.

Those who wish to redeem on *A parters will usually have another *A FFP to accrue with such as BD, LH, A3, etc.
You are absolutely right on that.

Imagine needing 225K miles for a FC ticket from SIN - USA on a partner airline.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
You are absolutely right on that.

Imagine needing 225K miles for a FC ticket from SIN - USA on a partner airline.
Yup, and the mileage accrual rates on KF for *A carriers (or even SQ) is below average at best; and is significantly worse if you travel in premium classes.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In other news, good carrier = stingy FFP; mediocre carrier = more generous FFP to stay viable
Old May 16, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I doubt if many fly SQ because of their wonderful FF program.
It's been said before and I'll say it again, if you want to fly SQ First, buy a First Class ticket.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SFO777
I doubt if many fly SQ because of their wonderful FF program.
It's been said before and I'll say it again, if you want to fly SQ First, buy a First Class ticket.
After the demolition of so many *A FFPs - mainly of its two lead carriers LH and UACO - KrisLiar is not all that bad anymore ... relatively.

Plus its miles can be purchased and availability is decent at times ... so there is no sound (FT) reason for purchasing an F ticket to get into their f cabins.
Old May 17, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Seeing reasonably good Business class availabiity on SQ37/38, 308/309/318/319 etc, even two seats on the same flight, and even when SQ does not show any saver availability, all through BMI in its dying weeks!!

RIP BMI's Star Alliance partnership!!

Last edited by SingaporeDon; May 17, 2012 at 8:53 am
Old May 23, 2012, 10:13 am

SQ flights using UA miles

I have checked on UA website to see if there are any Business award available from SFO to Hong Kong and there are none. I have checked all the way out to Nov. Didn't Check Dec since I figure that will be high travel time and nothing will be available.
Old May 23, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso

With CX's generous award availability, if CX were to join *A, you can be rest assured that till US has their bonuses, CX will probably start restricting award availability till a few days out
Old May 23, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
Originally Posted by gmid2006
I have checked on UA website to see if there are any Business award available from SFO to Hong Kong and there are none. I have checked all the way out to Nov. Didn't Check Dec since I figure that will be high travel time and nothing will be available.
After the rather generous availability (by SQ standards) when Saver awards were allowed on Singapore Airlines, the seats have all dried up. Your best chances probably are a few days before departure, but with SQ1/2 being one of the busiest routes in the system, availability on those flights will be a rare find
Old May 24, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Krisflyer lets you waitlist for SQ Saver awards in C and F, but recently I've found the SQ website not allowing the waitlist to go ahead (even though flight selection page shows waitlist possible).

I call the agent who tells me the Saver waitlist is "full". So there's often a queue of SQ customers who want the Saver seats before they even get released to *Alliance partners.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:11 pm

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with how close the dates to departure are. SQ simply doesn't release any long-haul intercontinental C savers award on 77W/388 to other *A FFPs at all.
Originally Posted by aviationp
After the rather generous availability (by SQ standards) when Saver awards were allowed on Singapore Airlines, the seats have all dried up. Your best chances probably are a few days before departure, but with SQ1/2 being one of the busiest routes in the system, availability on those flights will be a rare find

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.