Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Executive contact/complaint at Singapore Air?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Executive contact/complaint at Singapore Air?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2010, 10:28 pm

Programs: SQ/PPS SOLITAIRE, QF/CC, AA,UA
Why couldn't SQ simply charge the same price as the original fare? If they did this no one could complain about being overcharged when the policy is enforced.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:08 am

I have forwarded the story to Redress.me. Hope you will get the recourse you needed. Here it is: http://redress.me/view_post.php?pid=132
Old May 24, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I have to say, the policy is definitely overzealous, despite the policy being quite obviously stated. OP should take some of the balme for not reading/paying attention to the information presented. I've booked SQ online many times and based on my experience they do warn you on quite a few places during and after you book the flight.

One way to avoid the check is to use a Visa or Master Card with the extra online verification (Verified by Visa/Master Card). This is how I book tix for my fiance on my card when she needs to travel.

That said, I like CX's policy that someone mentioned earlier if it is indeed that way. To charge full fare is just ridiculous.

OP can contest the charge with AmEx, but doubt they would win it unless they can get SQ to make an exception which would clearly be common sense in this case.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by aster
This is a strange one, because CCs do expire and even when someone makes a booking, chances are they will destroy the old card once it's no longer valid and just carry around the new one.

Plus according to the OP the flights were paid for MONTHS AGO, so there's no way credit card fraud can possibly happen as you have like one week from receiving your last statement to make any claims for funny transactions.
Nope, depending on where your card was issued and by whom, you could have anywhere between 30 to 90 days to contest the charges.

Card processors (Think: Moneris, Global Payments) themselves have even longer if they feel like a transaction could be fraudulent, even if the cardholder isn't contesting. They regularly audit transactions, I guess in hopes of finding a problem with the merchant's handling and to deny the charge.

Last edited by payam81; May 24, 2010 at 1:41 pm
Old May 24, 2010, 1:39 pm

Question

Originally Posted by redress.me
I have forwarded the story to Redress.me. Hope you will get the recourse you needed. Here it is: http://redress.me/view_post.php?pid=132
Did you ask the author for his/her permission to do so?

From FT Guidelines & Rules:

User's Grant of Limited License

Members' posts cannot be printed or duplicated in any way by a third party without the consent of the authors.

Last edited by payam81; May 24, 2010 at 1:50 pm Reason: Added quote
Old May 25, 2010, 9:22 am

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
But Who is responsible?

Originally Posted by payam81
Nope, depending on where your card was issued and by whom, you could have anywhere between 30 to 90 days to contest the charges.

Card processors (Think: Moneris, Global Payments) themselves have even longer if they feel like a transaction could be fraudulent, even if the cardholder isn't contesting. They regularly audit transactions, I guess in hopes of finding a problem with the merchant's handling and to deny the charge.
I think you are missing the point. As it works, as soon as the CC Company approves a charge, the vendor is guaranteed payment. Therefore:

1. If the flight booked online using a CC has already been taken, then SQ would receive payment and the loss would be absorbed by the card issuer. To be passed along to CC users via higher charges!!
2. If the flight had not yet been taken and a problem identified by the CC Company, then both SQ AND the CC Company would have ample time ahead of the flight to either contact the person booking the flight to advise of a problem and work something out and/or await the person behind the fraudulent charge to check-in and arrest them!!

Again, this policy serves no useful purpose except as an inconvenience to passengers. If an LCC such as AirAsia can accept and approve CC bookings up to 24 hours before departure without needing to inspect the CC at check-in, why can't SQ? If it is a financial issue, I would have thought that AirAsia's margins are under greater pressure than SQ's?

I suspect that this is another typically SQ case of "It's our policy", irrespective of whether or not it actually makes any sense.
Old May 25, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: No loyalties, just look for the best deal
Misnomer

Incidentally, with respect, the content of this thread has drifted significantly from that noted, and I wonder if the Mods might like to consider either re-naming the thread or, alternatively, moving to another location?
Old May 25, 2010, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by philipat
I think you are missing the point. As it works, as soon as the CC Company approves a charge, the vendor is guaranteed payment. Therefore:

1. If the flight booked online using a CC has already been taken, then SQ would receive payment and the loss would be absorbed by the card issuer. To be passed along to CC users via higher charges!!
2. If the flight had not yet been taken and a problem identified by the CC Company, then both SQ AND the CC Company would have ample time ahead of the flight to either contact the person booking the flight to advise of a problem and work something out and/or await the person behind the fraudulent charge to check-in and arrest them!!

Again, this policy serves no useful purpose except as an inconvenience to passengers. If an LCC such as AirAsia can accept and approve CC bookings up to 24 hours before departure without needing to inspect the CC at check-in, why can't SQ? If it is a financial issue, I would have thought that AirAsia's margins are under greater pressure than SQ's?

I suspect that this is another typically SQ case of "It's our policy", irrespective of whether or not it actually makes any sense.
I'm not sure about #1.

I admit I don't know the details of the agreement between SQ and its card processor, however in the merchant world in the US, if there is a charge back or even a card processor/issuer initiated audit, the card processor will ask the merchant to provide proof of the transaction in form of a receipt that shows how, when, where and by which terminal the card was either swiped or electronically keyed in and if necessary a signature or other proof such as a policy where you verify the credit card against a piece of photo ID (e.g. Best Buy in the US).

Failing this, the card processor can/will charge back the contested amount against the merchants account. The only time the costs are absorbed are when the merchant has followed all reasonable recourse in verifying the transaction.

This is not an excuse for SQ's policy that requires the pax to buy a new set of tix at walk up prices!
Old May 25, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payam81
.....the card processor will ask the merchant to provide proof of the transaction in form of a receipt that shows how, when, where and by which terminal the card was either swiped or electronically keyed in and if necessary a signature or other proof such as a policy where you verify the credit card against a piece of photo ID (e.g. Best Buy in the US).
That's the standard procedure. Hence, the charge made at the airport will stand as SQ can provide all those proofs. The OP, however, may be able to contest the first charge as the card was never verified. Contesting a credit card charge is for fraud, not for when you change your mind or don't like the charge.@:-)
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I have had the same problem when flying F on EY.
rediculous as it was the return to a flight I had already taken
i have 8 credit cards and never ever remember which one I used for any flights.
also sometimes different companies pay for me to fly
how can i possibly get their credit card!! this is a rediculous rule I did not even know it existed with SQ i thought it was a middle east thing. .
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by aussielori
this is a rediculous rule I did not even know it existed with SQ i thought it was a middle east thing. .
Add PG, TG and DD to the mix.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
This is an old thread. The complaint was originally about SQ only. I am closing it before it gets too OT.

cxfan1960
SQ Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.