FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

nb123 Feb 27, 2011 11:18 pm

Thanks aster, hmm, I'd say about 3k+ on average? I only fly coach normally in Asia-Pac region

kitsura Feb 28, 2011 12:14 am

Since there is a cap for the bonus miles earned on SQ Amex Gold card I would say go with the DBS Altitude AMEX or Citi PremierMiles Visa.

nb123 Feb 28, 2011 1:57 am

Ahh... btw, I go through a travel agent for the bookings, I don't do it online, will that make a different reg. choice of card?

kitsura Feb 28, 2011 2:50 am

Nope, but all the more you should not stick with SQ Amex as it offers double miles only for tickets booked directly online.

aster Feb 28, 2011 5:28 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 14960837)
We did the math earlier on and the results were the following: If you spend up to $7,000 using your card in a given month, you are better off with DBS Altitude AMEX. If you charge over $7,000 per month then Citi PremierMiles Visa will be better.

This still stands true today.

You are pretty much right on the border between these two cards. If you're going to break the 7k barrier then you might as well go for the Citi PremierMiles Visa card as it is more widely accepted than Amex, and you earn points/miles for every $1 spent, whereas with the DBS card you are credited for every $5 spent, so $5 generates the same amount of points as a $9.99 purchase.

nb123 Feb 28, 2011 6:17 am

Ah ok, that's good to know, thanks guys, I'll apply for the card - quick question - my spending month to month kinda goes something like 12k one month, then 3k another, then 5k another, then 13k again, something like that... so sometimes less than 7k, sometimes more, so Citi Premiermiles is most suitable?

aster Feb 28, 2011 7:01 am

Whoa, I believe that Citi no longer gives 2 miles per $1 for spend above $4,000 per month. In the small print they stated that this is valid until 31 Dec, 2010, but with DBS boosting all spend above $1,000 in a given month we all expected Citi to stay in the game.

Maybe I'm blind and someone wants to double-check this, but is seems that there is only one clear winner now - DBS Altitude Amex:
http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...e/default.aspx

And some interesting insurance (up to $1M) if you purchase your tickets using this card. Here's a link to the T&Cs:
http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards..._insurance.pdf

aster Feb 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Since DBS gives extra miles for all monthly spend >$1,000 , I wonder how they would go about things if someone's first purchase of the month was worth several thousand?

Would they treat the entire purchase at the regular rate of miles since at the time of purchase the $1,000 barrier has not been crossed yet?

kitsura Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

I assumed that citibank would still give the same benefits but I was wrong I guess I need to do some research before coming back with a reply. Since amex is not that widely accepted worldwide there needs to be an alternate card to rack up spends on.

Awesom Andy Feb 28, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm not sure on the limitations on the Maybank Horizon Platium card, but if you can get the offer of 5 points per $1 on travel (equals to 2 miles per $1), then you could consider using this card for your flights.

After taking the flights out, most of your monthly spends would be under $7k, so the DBS Altitude would be the better option, whether Citi chooses to continue with its PM promotion or not.

So, in summary, I would consider getting the Maybank for flights/travel, and getting the DBS for everything else.

nb123 Mar 1, 2011 4:35 am

Ok thanks guys, will apply for the DBS Altitude Amex

kitsura Mar 1, 2011 6:23 pm

Ok the conclusion of my research:
- Citi Premiermiles card seem to be giving out only 20k bonus miles and no longer additional miles for above 4k monthly spends.
- Get UOB Signature Card and use it for local spends for places that don't accept Amex. You earn 1 mile per $1.25 of spend.
- Get the Maybank Horizon Platinum and use it for all overseas and ticket spendings. You will earn 2 miles for every $1 spent.

adamantine Mar 1, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kitsura (Post 15957615)
Ok the conclusion of my research:
- Citi Premiermiles card seem to be giving out only 20k bonus miles and no longer additional miles for above 4k monthly spends.
- Get UOB Signature Card and use it for local spends for places that don't accept Amex. You earn 1 mile per $1.25 of spend.
- Get the Maybank Horizon Platinum and use it for all overseas and ticket spendings. You will earn 2 miles for every $1 spent.

why use the UOB signature card when the citi pm has a $1 to 1.2 mile conversion ratio?

kitsura Mar 1, 2011 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by adamantine (Post 15958247)
why use the UOB signature card when the citi pm has a $1 to 1.2 mile conversion ratio?

Personal preference maybe :p

I find that citibank has a very annoying website which is why I seldom use their cards.

aster Mar 1, 2011 10:42 pm

Back in the day DBS Altitude Amex and the DBS Treasures Amex (for those with at least 200k there) had the same high ratio of miles:dollars spent.

Nowadays, with the Altitude card giving the most miles of any card in Singapore for overall spend, I'm surprised they haven't bumped up the Treasures card to equal that (unless I missed info about the "raise"). :)