FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

aster Mar 23, 2011 12:42 am

You might need an account with DBS, not sure if it's a requirement to have a card with them as I happen to bank with them anyway.

I really like OCBC's main branch - it's a class above the experience at any of the other banks I've dealt with.

percysmith Mar 23, 2011 12:53 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16084891)
DBS Altitude Amex should be your first pick. You might want to get the Citi one as a second card though...

Wish DBS Hong Kong will offer the Altitude (they offer DBS Black only). Life will be so much easier if we had a killer card like that.

Look at our list: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-10.html#144 . We don't have any killer card. We came close to one when Fubon Bank Hong Kong offered HK$6/Asia Mile on their Visa, but they've withdrawn that now.

Interesting deal you have with EZ-Link

http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/persona...-infinite.aspx
http://info.maybank2u.com.sg/persona...programme.aspx

So it's essentially S$0.25/KF mile isn't it? The best we could do is HK$7.5/AM on our AAVS (Octopus auto-reloading).

Any deals on bill payments or dining?

kitsura Mar 23, 2011 5:03 am

Aster> you don't need a DBS account to hold their credit cards.

Percysmith> don't think there are any deals on bill payments. I know certain card offer 10x rewards for dining but then its limited to a few restaurants.

percysmith Mar 23, 2011 5:34 am

Originally Posted by kitsura (Post 16085553)
Percysmith> don't think there are any deals on bill payments. I know certain card offer 10x rewards for dining but then its limited to a few restaurants.

So are any points awarded?

aster Mar 23, 2011 7:26 am

Actually the Maybank offer of 10x points for Crystal Jade (good chain of restaurants) and Kuishin-Bo (buffet) would be quite useful in my case as I frequent both places.

The problem with Maybank's offer is that the 10x list of merchants might change after March 31st.

percysmith Mar 23, 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16086107)
Actually the Maybank offer of 10x points for Crystal Jade (good chain of restaurants) and Kuishin-Bo (buffet) would be quite useful in my case as I frequent both places.

The problem with Maybank's offer is that the 10x list of merchants might change after March 31st.

Yum yum. Crystal Jade Hong Kong never does card promos.

keepinitsimple Mar 24, 2011 9:58 am

Same

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16081120)
I'm just curious if the Flashpay card will be charged exactly the same fare.

Fare is same.

insigma Apr 3, 2011 10:10 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16006737)
I once did the calculations for the SQ card and didn't find it as enticing as it promised to be. I would skip it.

I'm just curious though. the SQ Gold Amex has always used the motto: "Credit Card – The fastest way to earn KrisFlyer miles"..

I do not remember the last time that this was the case. Is that grounds for false advertising?

kitsura Apr 3, 2011 5:31 pm

Good news for those with the Maybank Horizon card, the ezlink 10x reward points is still valid.

aviationp Apr 3, 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by insigma (Post 16151997)
I'm just curious though. the SQ Gold Amex has always used the motto: "Credit Card – The fastest way to earn KrisFlyer miles"..

I do not remember the last time that this was the case. Is that grounds for false advertising?

I think you'll find the difference between Amex KF Gold is that you actually earn 1 mile for 1.60 dollars, whereas in other cases you earn x points per dollar where each point can be redeemed for x number of miles. In that case, it is possibly the ONLY way to earn KF miles, but that is one potential theory

aster Apr 3, 2011 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by insigma (Post 16151997)

In Singapore you'll find that tons of advertising is misleading.

In a general sense, the best card right now is still the DBS Altitude Amex.

Of course there are "speciality cards" that earn more in certain cases, like the Citi Platinum card for supermarket/department store spend, or the Maybank one for overseas spend.

So of course the ideal way is to have several cards, but if you only want to focus on one then I'd get the Altitude Amex.

aster Apr 3, 2011 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by kitsura (Post 16153860)
Good news for those with the Maybank Horizon card, the ezlink 10x reward points is still valid.

Yes, extended thru June '11 in fact. Are you still able to get those bonus miles on EZlink "home top-ups?" :)

chrisksc Apr 4, 2011 12:50 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 16155024)
So of course the ideal way is to have several cards, but if you only want to focus on one then I'd get the Altitude Amex.

"IF" to just focus on one card, I would go with Citi PremireMiles VISA as it is accepted in more places than Amex.

I frequent places like New York New York restuarant, ThaiExpress restuarant, they do not accept Amex at all.

Additionally, many other places (travel agencies, small shops etc) that charges fee for using credit card, would always charge more for using Amex.

my 2 cents ;)

demue Apr 4, 2011 1:46 am

JUst my two cents worth on an sometimes overlooked factor. I had to do dispute resolutions with both Amex (KF Gold) and Visa (Citibank Plat) and Mastercard (German LH M&M version) I can only tell you that both Visa and Mastercard are very poor in my view how they handle such disputes.

Amex credits back the amount, contacts the vendor, discusses the issue raised with the charge and overall supports you as a card holder quite well. Visa and MC ask for tons of paperwork, do nothing for weeks and come back saying they can't do anything and that one should take legal (civil court) action. Utter rubbish. This may sound like something not important but it really pays when it happens and is needed.

That's why I stick to KF Amex Gold and Citi Visa Plat combo. Yes not the most optimal version but I don't want too may cards and I really appreciate Amex service which has come through 3 times now on disputes.

percysmith Apr 4, 2011 2:28 am

Originally Posted by chrisksc (Post 16155334)
"IF" to just focus on one card, I would go with Citi PremireMiles VISA as it is accepted in more places than Amex.

I frequent places like New York New York restuarant, ThaiExpress restuarant, they do not accept Amex at all.

Additionally, many other places (travel agencies, small shops etc) that charges fee for using credit card, would always charge more for using Amex.

my 2 cents ;)

If in SIN or HKG, I won't just have one card.

True, some places don't take Visa. But that's still no excuse to carry just one card whilst going out.

HKers love their Premiermiles cos it's caters for their specific biases - no fussy "no Amex" discussions, no research, no conversion fuss, no fees, no promotions with T&C to observe. Except they don't realise they're losing 50% of potential miles if they've done their homework http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-26.html#382

In my wallet at all times, I keep at least three credit cards - one dining (usually a Visa - 50% restaurants here don't take Amex - but certain banks here reward double or triple miles for dining on specific Visa cards), one Amex and one Visa good for earning everything but dining http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-10.html#144. If I travel different cards are carried depending where I go.