FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

3TEN Apr 25, 2010 2:52 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon (Post 13821738)
Great thread, Aster!

Please change Citi PremierMiles Visa mileage accrual to "1 mile for .83 cents" to make it easy to compare with the way you have listed other credit cards accrual rates.

Also, may be useful to add details about how points expire. I know that the DBS Treasures Black Amex card points expire on a particular date every year, so you are supposed to transfer before that date, including the miles earned in the last month before the expiry date, even though you may not even know how much you have earned in that last month by the time the deadline come!. Luckily, they normally give you one month grace to move the points to airline frequent flyer miles

By the way, I have found this card, with double points for overseas spend (1 mile for S$ 0.42 = US$0.30 cent spend one of the best ways to accrue Krisflyer miles, inspite of teh FX charge that AMEX will add to foreing spend

The earn rate for Citi PremierMiles is not exactly S$0.83 = 1mile even though it is S$1 = 1.2miles. I am using the PremierMiles card, every transaction is rounded DOWN to the nearest dollar, and every S$1 earns 1.2 miles. All transactions that are installment-plan will not earn you any miles. The Citi Miles do not expire if you do not transfer out to any of the 4 FFP (SQ, TG, DL, CX).

aster Apr 25, 2010 5:54 am

Yeah, I thought they'd do that.

That's why I put the exact amount in parenthesis (1.2 miles for every $1). Same thing with the DBS Altitude AMEX, it's roughly 83 cents/mile but in parenthesis the exact wording is used: 6 miles for every $5 spent. They also round down, so if you spend $9.99 it's the same as spending $5 in terms of mileage accrual.

Or maybe I should do it the other way around and write: 1.2 miles for every $1 spent, rounded down to nearest dollar (approx. 1 mile for every $0.83)

fumo Apr 25, 2010 7:51 pm

do dbs and citibank charges fees for conversion?

how about including the fees for frequent flyer programs with the different banks?

i know that there is no charge for maybank horizon card.

aster Apr 26, 2010 12:52 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 13833313)
Updates:

- points/miles conversion fees added for ALL cards
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold AMEX added, including explanation of all the bonuses and example of max miles for ticket purchase
- as per SingaporeDon's request, Citi PremierMiles Visa mileage accrual now listed as: 1 mile for every $0.83 spent (every $1 gives 1.2 miles)
- notice in CAPS above card list about all values posted being in SGD

Fumo, you must have missed my post from the previous page. All this has already been done. ^

chrisksc Apr 26, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks aster for spearheading this list. ^ It is not an easy task as almost every credit card issued in Singapore has the option to convert to KF miles. Some have rather complicated T&Cs.

Here are some suggestions to include:

1) In the Pro/Con, list those "forced" conversion of points to miles (ie KF Amex Gold every month auto convert/tranf to KF account thus miles will expire in 3yrs, etc)

2) List the minimum "block" of points to convert from points to miles (ie UOB minimun is UNI$5,000, etc)

3) Promotions <this will need to be updated (and archived for future reference ??> (ie UOB Privi Amex just started a 10x UNI$ for 3 months, etc)

Btw, MayBank has a maximum 999,999 Points to be held in the account at any one time. Which means, if your account has a balance of 999,999 points, all future transactions would not earn any more points. Remedy is to transfer out the points.

Also, to include UOB Privi Amex credit card. This is rather complicated with their annual bonuses as well as loyalty bonuses (10% every year to a max of 40%)

Good luck! :-:

aster Apr 26, 2010 8:50 am

Thanks. ^ At first I was going to just include info that would be part of the decision-making process, where the amount of miles per $ spent is probably the #1 factor.

I even thought about ditching the card cost info as it isn't really a major factor, I mean whether the card costs $120 or $180... people are still going to go for the one that gives them the best rate of return in terms of mileage accrual.

As part of the "conversion cost" info I can add if forced conversions take place & the chunks in which points are converted.

I looked at the UOB card months ago but it seemed like a poor offer compared to the other cards out there. So far I've only added cards which are either the top ones in general or at least in a specific area, the sole exception being the official KrisFlyer one which does not appear to be better in any way.

aster May 11, 2010 5:19 am

UOB and OCBC are unfortunately still not in the mileage game in any serious way, so no cards being added from them.

DBS just improved it's offer for their Altitude AMEX card which is already one of the best CCs on the market:

http://www.dbs.com/sg/personal/cards...s/default.aspx

:-: ^

uproared May 11, 2010 6:39 am

For the Australian market, here's the card I use:

http://info.westpac.com.au/singapore...mBenefits.aspx

20,000 KrisFlyer miles received after your first purchase using either of your cards

On your Singapore Airlines Westpac American Express® Card, earn:

1.5 KrisFlyer miles for every $1 spent on purchases

On your Singapore Airlines Westpac Visa Card, earn:

1.5 KrisFlyer miles for every $1 spent on purchases with merchants located outside of Australia

1 KrisFlyer mile for every $1 spent on purchases with merchants located within Australia

$125 annual fee for the first year (usually $250)

It's a great card. When the first started it they had a double points promo on for the AMEX for the first several months, so 3 points per $1 AUD.

lokijuh May 11, 2010 10:54 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 13807949)
I'4. Citi Platinum Visa/MasterCard

Mileage accrual: 1 mile for every $0.50 spent (every $5 gives 5 Citi Dollars which equal 10 miles) at supermarkets (Carrefour . Cold Storage . Giant . Market Place . NTUC Fair Price . Shop N Save . Singapore Meidi-Ya) and department stores (Tangs . Isetan . John Little . Marks & Spencer . Metro . OG . Robinsons . BHG . Takashimaya Department Store).

1 mile for every $2.50 spent elsewhere.

Requirements: min. income $30,000 ($60,000 for foreigners).
Cost: First year free, then $150 for main and $80 for supplementary. Annual fee waiver if you charge $15,000 or more per year, BUT applicable to main card only.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion.

Pros: Great for shopping at supermarkets and department stores.
Cons: Great ONLY for shopping at supermarkets and department stores. Points might be allocated on every $5 spent, rounded down to next $5 (someone please confirm).

Variation on this is the Citibank Clear Platinum, instead of getting 1 mile for every $0.50 spend at supermarkets etc, you that earn at nightspots, cinemas, cafes, books & music stores and selected retail outlets. Plus you earn 1 mile for every $0.50 if you have ezi-link on direct debit, which therefore means you can earn that rate at cold storage/marketplace/giant supermarkets by tapping your ezilink card as well.

Big downside is lack of transparency around definition of nightspots and cafes (spend a night with colleagues at oosh bar, I put on my cc and came through at the paltry rate of 1 mile for $2.50, had I known that would have used my Premier Miles card)

aster May 27, 2010 2:10 am

Just thought I'd add a recent experience with DBS Altitude AMEX:

When you decide to convert your earned DBS points to miles (you can do so over the phone via the automated system) the general policy is that it will take up to 3 weeks to process the transfer.

I tried it and in my case it took... one day. :) ^

Also, points on the card no longer expire every year. The policy has changed this month and now the points will never expire as long as the card is maintained. ^

SingaporeDon May 27, 2010 10:41 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 14030679)
Just thought I'd add a recent experience with DBS Altitude AMEX:

Also, points on the card no longer expire every year. The policy has changed this month and now the points will never expire as long as the card is maintained. ^

I see that they have not changed the expiry rule for DBS Treasure's Black Amex. NOW CHANGED, SO THAT DBS TREASURE'S BLACK AMEX CARD POINTS DO NOT EXPIRE AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THE CARD. THANK YOU DBS!!!That would have been real good news to park miles with Amex until you need then in Krisflyer, given Krisflyer's three year expiry rule. Hopefully since they changed the expiry rule for DBS Altitude AMEX, they might do the same for the Black AMEX soon!

aster May 27, 2010 1:01 pm

Any reason you have the Black card? I mean the Altitude one is way better for accruing miles as they now give 4x DBS points (8 miles) for every S$5 spent above S$1,000.

I looked at all the cards when choosing mine and the black one never stood out as attractive compared to Altitude AMEX.

foreigner May 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by uproared (Post 13936888)
For the Australian market, here's the card I use:

http://info.westpac.com.au/singapore...mBenefits.aspx

It's a great card. When the first started it they had a double points promo on for the AMEX for the first several months, so 3 points per $1 AUD.

3 'miles' per aud1 spent?

SingaporeDon May 29, 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 14033553)
Any reason you have the Black card? I mean the Altitude one is way better for accruing miles as they now give 4x DBS points (8 miles) for every S$5 spent above S$1,000.

I looked at all the cards when choosing mine and the black one never stood out as attractive compared to Altitude AMEX.

I must confess I had missed the 4X DBS points (instead of 3x before) for spend in excess of $1k spend each month. I guess I should get the Altitude card. Although I do a lot of overseas spend, and I see that the Black Treasure's Amex gives me double miles for overseas spend (6X DBS points), but Altitude does not.

I guess for local spend Altitude makes more sense, for overseas spend, the Black Amex is better.

Still cant find a good visa/mastercard for SQ Krisflyer accrual. The Citibank one looks like the best bet. May be I will get that and the Altitude card after the summer holidays.

aster May 30, 2010 3:27 am

DBS should allow you to have both Black and Altitude cards, which would be ideal for overseas vs local spend.

As for MC/Visa, it's Citibank all the way.

P.S. I'm surprised at how OCBC and UOB aren't offering a decent card for mileage accrual. Maybe one day...