FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

adamantine Mar 1, 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 15958804)
Back in the day DBS Altitude Amex and the DBS Treasures Amex (for those with at least 200k there) had the same high ratio of miles:dollars spent.

Nowadays, with the Altitude card giving the most miles of any card in Singapore for overall spend, I'm surprised they haven't bumped up the Treasures card to equal that (unless I missed info about the "raise"). :)

in terms of mileage accrual, how do the altitude and treasures compare? If they used to be exactly the same, DBS might not have made the treasures as competitive as the altitude so that customers might be more inclined to apply for the altitude if they already hold the treasures?

They might have instead focused on improving the treasures other benefits. However, these are all my guesswork. I don't hold or know the treasures benefits :P

kitsura Mar 2, 2011 4:40 am

Is this treasures amex the same as the treasures black elite amex?

aster Mar 2, 2011 5:37 am

Yes, that would be the same card, though I can't find it on their site and I feel that resorting to Google for that would be a little too much... :)

But there is only one Treasures card (AMEX) and it could well be black.

Mickey4finger Mar 2, 2011 5:40 am

is there a card where you get status miles with? for any FFP?

i know the FB AMEX France card does it, but not sure if that's the only one?

kitsura Mar 2, 2011 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Mickey4finger (Post 15959858)
is there a card where you get status miles with? for any FFP?

i know the FB AMEX France card does it, but not sure if that's the only one?

Not that I know of. All SQ status miles can be earned by flying only.

insigma Mar 2, 2011 6:11 pm

I've been reading that the Citi Rewards card gives a $1 = 4 miles on anything bought in a department store. Can anyone confirm this? I can't seem to find a list of participating dept stores either ...

adamantine Mar 3, 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by insigma (Post 15964755)
I've been reading that the Citi Rewards card gives a $1 = 4 miles on anything bought in a department store. Can anyone confirm this? I can't seem to find a list of participating dept stores either ...

it is only for dept stores and stores that sell mainly shoes or bags or clothings.

If the shop falls within these categories, use your rewards card and u get 4 miles per $1. If you don't can raise dispute.

aster Mar 3, 2011 4:16 am

Originally Posted by insigma (Post 15964755)

As mentioned above there is one for buying shoes/bags so pretty much a ladies card, but this is the one I think you're looking for:

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...i_platinum.htm

5x Rewards for all spend at department stores and supermarkets:

Department Stores:
Tangs . Isetan . John Little . Marks & Spencer . Metro . OG . Robinsons . BHG . Takashimaya Department Store.

Supermarkets/Hypermarket:
Carrefour . Cold Storage . Giant . Market Place . NTUC Fair Price . Shop N Save . Singapore Meidi-Ya

This is the perfect card to complement the DBS Altitude Amex for someone living in Singapore.

aster Mar 3, 2011 5:05 am

The above card generates 2 miles per S$1 spent. So not entirely mind-boggling, but still very good for all that supermarket (+department store) spend that is inevitable for anyone living in Sing.

adamantine Mar 3, 2011 5:43 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 15966633)
As mentioned above there is one for buying shoes/bags so pretty much a ladies card, but this is the one I think you're looking for:

http://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/credi...i_platinum.htm

5x Rewards for all spend at department stores and supermarkets:

Department Stores:
Tangs . Isetan . John Little . Marks & Spencer . Metro . OG . Robinsons . BHG . Takashimaya Department Store.

Supermarkets/Hypermarket:
Carrefour . Cold Storage . Giant . Market Place . NTUC Fair Price . Shop N Save . Singapore Meidi-Ya

This is the perfect card to complement the DBS Altitude Amex for someone living in Singapore.

the rewards card is much better than the plat card unless u spend at supermarts. the rewards card is basically a replacement for the plat card

nb123 Mar 4, 2011 12:49 am

I currently use my amex for work expenses, citibank platinum for personal and have an ocbc robinsons card to get extra discount there :-)

But I've been thinking... it may be more efficient for me to get a citi premiermiles card and use it as personal cos it's visa as well, could probably earn a lot more miles that way. So then I'll use the dbs altitude for work expenses and citi card for personal, all getting me miles.

What do you guys do? Just funnel all cc expense rewards into miles and get maximum benefit that way? Or keep other cc rewards? Any thoughts on this?

When I purchase using miles, I noticed that I still have to pay e.g. 160 SGD for a flight to Bangkok, + 16000 miles or so... is that what you do?

kitsura Mar 4, 2011 3:21 am

Originally Posted by nb123 (Post 15972778)
I currently use my amex for work expenses, citibank platinum for personal and have an ocbc robinsons card to get extra discount there :-)

But I've been thinking... it may be more efficient for me to get a citi premiermiles card and use it as personal cos it's visa as well, could probably earn a lot more miles that way. So then I'll use the dbs altitude for work expenses and citi card for personal, all getting me miles.

What do you guys do? Just funnel all cc expense rewards into miles and get maximum benefit that way? Or keep other cc rewards? Any thoughts on this?

When I purchase using miles, I noticed that I still have to pay e.g. 160 SGD for a flight to Bangkok, + 16000 miles or so... is that what you do?

I channel overseas spend to Maybank horizon card and local spends to UOB signature.

The 160 redemption charge is for airport and fuel surcharge. Some airlines don't charge fuel surcharge for miles redemption but sq is stingy.

aster Mar 4, 2011 4:31 am

How are the exchange rates when using the Maybank card overseas?

I would skip UOB's cards when it comes to mileage accrual. I haven't seen anything interesting there from that perspective...

It's basically DBS and Citi fighting it out for the best card when it comes to general spend in Singapore, and now that City hasn't extended their bonus after Dec 31, 2010, you could say that DBS Altitude Amex is the king of all cards for us mileage-savvy folk over here. :)

kitsura Mar 6, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm not too sure about the exchange rate on the Maybank cards but I guess there are a few pips difference between the few banks. Anyway $0.50 per mile is too good a deal to give up. Plus with the current ezlink promotion of 10x treats points I'm moving all my grocery shopping to cold storage and giant.

aster Mar 6, 2011 8:59 pm

The DBS Treasures Black Amex gives you 2.4 miles per Dollar on overseas spend. Does the Maybank card generate just 2 miles/$?