FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

aster Jun 17, 2010 1:50 am

Bump.

Looks like DBS Altitude AMEX is still tops after they increased their 'miles to $$$ spent' ratio, with Citi's Platinum card also being quite useful for supermarket purchases.

RipperDoc Jun 17, 2010 2:48 am

Although this is SQ forum, one other factor that should be considered is if the card points can be converted to any other miles. I am probably not alone being in several FFPs :D

PremierMiles can be converted to TG ROP, SQ KF, CX AM (however, at a lousy 0.4 ratio) and Delta. Amex Plat can be converted to, if I remember, TG ROP, SQ KF, BA, MH (Malaysian) and some chinese airlines.

Note that Amex Plat can be converted to hotel points, and the hotel points can in turn be converted to a lot more FFPs. Mostly probably at a poor overall ratio, but is could actually be possible to get a better ratio that way.

SingaporeDon Aug 2, 2010 6:54 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 13807949)

3. Citi PremierMiles Visa

Mileage accrual: 1 mile for every $0.83 spent (every $1 gives 1.2 miles). 10,000 miles extra for each annual membership renewal, plus another 10,000 miles if you spend more than $50,000 in any membership year.

Requirements: min. income $80,000.
Cost: First year free, then $180 for main, supplementary always free. Annual fee waiver available in exchange for 10,000 miles renewal bonus.
Miles conversion fee: $25 per conversion.

Pros: Bonus miles for annual card renewal and spend >$50,000.
Cons: Unsure of any annual fee waiver conditions.

It looks like they also included a better conversion rate if you spend more thatn $4,000 per month, a la DBS Altitudes Amex. Now you get 2 Citimiles for every $1 spend.

From the Citicards Website, August 2010

Up to 2 Citi Miles per $1 spend

2 Citi Miles for every $1 spend above $4,000 per month
1.2 Citi Miles per $1 spend for the first $4,000 spent every month
Up to 20,000 Citi Miles in annual bonus

aster Aug 6, 2010 3:27 am

Thank you - the list (in the first post) has been updated to include the new info concerning the Citi PremierMiles Visa card and the $1 = 2 miles ratio for monthly spend >$4,000.

aster Aug 6, 2010 3:56 am

Useful bit of info for those comparing the two best cards on the market: DBS Altitude AMEX & Citi PremierMiles Visa.

Putting aside the fact that DBS rounds down all spend to the nearest $5 increment whereas Citi rounds down to the nearest $1...

...both cards generate the same amount of miles with a monthly spend of $7,000.

If you spend up to $7,000 using your card in a given month, you are better off with DBS Altitude AMEX. If you spend over $7,000 per month then Citi PremierMiles Visa will be better.

aster Sep 27, 2010 3:38 am

Special promo for the DBS Altitude Amex to make things even better:

======
Swipe to earn up to 2.6 miles per S$1 spend

Receive 10,000 bonus miles by simply charging a min. of S$10,000 from 17 Sep to 31 Dec 10
======

weero Sep 27, 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 14804602)
Special promo for the DBS Altitude Amex to make things even bette..

Sweet!

I should get this Amex for Singa as well ... that'd be my 3rd Amex card :o ...

aster Sep 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 14808058)
Sweet!

I should get this Amex for Singa as well ... that'd be my 3rd Amex card :o ...

I only use this one and they've made some pretty good changes to it recently, including special promos like this one.

The only other one that seemed worth getting was the Citibank one, but I just couldn't be bothered... ;) Maybe when I get back to SIN in November I'll send in the paperwork.

There was a moment when I thought I would dump DBS after they didn't award me the extra miles for booking SQ tickets during their previous promo - simply because the tickets were billed in another currency (ironically the bank makes even more $$$ due to this - so why would they complain?). Luckily one telephone call and about 2 weeks of waiting did the trick.

P.S. Any decent CCs in Oz to rack up miles there?

weero Sep 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 14809614)
..P.S. Any decent CCs in Oz to rack up miles there?

I use Amex there as well. But with the changes in the last 5 years, the card lost a lot of attractiveness. Being severed from Qantas wasn't actually bad as their FFP is perfectly useless but the choices remaining are beyond disappointing.

If they let me transfer my point balance, I'd haul it over to Singa to burn it on SQ. While cryptic and not great, at least you can get awards on SQ.

Awesom Andy Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 14816754)
If they let me transfer my point balance, I'd haul it over to Singa to burn it on SQ. While cryptic and not great, at least you can get awards on SQ.

When I relocated from Australia to Singapore, I was able to transfer the reward points across. They had some mysterious transfer ratio, but it works out to be about even in my case. Note that both the AU and SG cards were Amex branded, so I don't know if this still applies if it's an Amex card offered from, say, a bank.

weero Sep 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 14830733)
When I relocated from Australia to Singapore, I was able to transfer the reward points across. They had some mysterious transfer ratio, but it works out to be about even in my case. Note that both the AU and SG cards were Amex branded, so I don't know if this still applies if it's an Amex card offered from, say, a bank.

Oh ... I see.

That is a good argument ... I need to check.

cadrian Oct 1, 2010 5:16 am

Citibank - Change in reward $ accumulation?

Just read the Citibank webbie on changes to their Platinum card rewards accumulation.

If I read correctly and my maths is right,

$1 spending = $1 Citidollar = 2 miles?

Doesn't that outstrip the Premier Miles or do you think they will change the conversion rate?

https://www.citibank.com.sg/SGGCB/AP...x_visaplat.htm

aster Oct 1, 2010 12:59 pm

This is a great deal, especially if you add that all supermarket spend will now be at 10 miles to the dollar. It almost sounds too good to be true: $100 worth of groceries and you get 1,000 miles? :-:

Let's just say that the Euro and SGD even out at 2.00. $10,000 then makes 5k Euro which would give 100,000 miles? You might as well spend away at the supermarket and fly for free in this case. :)

I'm curious if they actually charge $160 to get the card issued or if that can easily be waived...

weero Oct 1, 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 14869268)
..Let's just say that the Euro and SGD even out at 2.00. $10,000 then makes 5k Euro which would give 100,000 miles? You might as well spend away at the supermarket and fly for free in this case. :)...

You are hoping that the 747 will be still alive by the time you spent 5K EUR in Singa supermarkets :p !

lokijuh Oct 1, 2010 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by cadrian (Post 14866016)
Doesn't that outstrip the Premier Miles or do you think they will change the conversion rate?

A notice about this change appeared on my CitiClear Platinum statement this month. I assumed this was all about earning Citi$ on every $1 spent rather than based on every $5 spent (why on earth they can't deal with decimal points who knows???).

As existing balances will be multiplied by 5 I also assumed that points required will be multiplied by 5, that instead of of 1 citi$ = 2 KF miles, it will become 5 citi$=2 KF miles. ie no change other than the fact on $19 spend at a bonus partner that gets 5x miles (to make the math simpler!) you will get 38 KF miles rather than the 30 KF miles you would have got before (or for non bonus partner now get 7.6 instead of 6).