Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:40 am

Amanjena

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

Amanjena

Route de Ouarzazate Kilometer 12 Marrakesh, MA

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech (9 Photos)

Amanjena

We came back from Amanjena yesterday. Stayed in the Al-Hamra Maison which is the perfect choice for 2 couples. Ed Tuttle design are definitely my favorite 

The swimming pool of the Al-Hamra Maison is heated, and it is much bigger than the pools of the classic Maisons or Maisons Jardin. However for your information there is one additional Maison Jardin almost finished, it will have a much bigger pool with a classic rectangular shape and privacy shall be great as it is not connected to any other pavilions. Private pool size is important to me that's why I'm focusing a little bit 

Wifi is a bit slow, it shall be improved, and TV signal quality is poor. But all the reste was truly perfect.

Both restaurants (Moroccan & Japanese) were nice with good quiality products but may be I was expecting more elaborated and more authentic Japanese dishes instead of sashimis / makis / and other classic 'Europeanised' Japanese food. And strangely enough the dessert menu is the same for both restaurants. We had the New Year's Eve dinner and all breakfasts in our suite, set up was nice. 

Service is excellent, it was the second time we had a full time butler in the suite and Saïd was efficent and discrete, exactly what you can expect.

The gym is not very large but offers good equipment from Technogym. I did not have the opportunity to try the Spa but instead we had in-room treatments with Andrew Rosenstock (that we had previously met in Amanjiwo and who is a fantastic yoga teacher). A larger Spa is supposed to be built within the next 2 years together with a dozen villas, each with a 40m pool, they will be very modern but may be too different from the rest of the hotel.

We went twice to the Medina with an Aman car. It is a 20-minute ride and it was easy to call them when we wanted to go back. It is quite convenient and I would not stay inside the city even for first timers like we. 

5,000 candles were lit for the New Year's Eve, enjoying this special evening in Amanjena was magical, Arabian nights style! 

Nicest Hotel in Marrakech

Would you like to write a review on the Amanjena?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Jan 4, 2016 at 2:51 am
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:10 am

Thanks, Pierre&Cédric. So where would you rank it amongst other Aman resorts? Would you go back? As for the heated swimming pool, what was the maximum temperature?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks for the review Pierre and Cedric. Well timed considered I have a stay upcoming in March. Couple questions
- Did you consider the MO at all?
- what was the cost of the Medina transfer? Did you go with a guide? Any other activities
- our package is quoted with a "continental breakfast". Is that the continental breakfast pictured?

and yes about the swimming pool- did you guys make much use out of it? Sadly we are only in a Pavillion Piscine but hopefully shall be big enough for two..

Thanks
FDW
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:28 am

Pool temperature was 28°C, we spent a lot of time there

We did not consider MO because Andrew Rosenstock (http://www.healingwithandrew.com/) was in Amanjena at the time of our visit and we wanted to see him. But location is almost the same (MO being slightly closer to the city centre).

Continental breakfast includes
- orange or grapefruit juice
- tea / coffee / hot chocolate
- natural yoghurt with honey
- fruit platter
- breads & pastries basket with butter & jams
The only addition to the Continental breakfast on the picture is the 'tajine' containing a kind of traditional morrocan pancakes (some with dried meat and others plain served with argan oil & almonds mixed).

We stayed only 4 days/3 nights so we did not have many activities. But should you stay longer I guess that an excursion to the Atlas mountain would be great. We went to the Medina twice without a guide, I will check tonight what was the cost of transfer.

Would we go back? For Amanjena yes, for Marrakech probably not. We have been to 8 Amans only, it's very difficult to rank them but I can try:
- favorites => Amanbagh / Amanjiwo
- very good => Amanjena / Aman Canal Grande / Amankila
- good => Sveti Stefan / Amanzoé
- disappointing => Amanpulo (I know, I know)

Last but not least we were told that since the terrorist attack in Paris on November 13th many reservations were cancelled and tourism is very low, so you can probably negotiate complimentary benefits or upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:03 pm

Thank you for this wonderful report, I've been waiting to see pictures. Do you have, by chance, any pictures of the new lounge or pool?

I admire Ed Tuttle's design for Amanjena, it is iconic. Must be very hard for an architect who puts that much creativity and soul into his projects to see it amended (to avoid the word trashed) by another colleague (in this case Reda Amalou). I don't understand why they went with another designer. This would drive me mad. But once the project is finished you have to let go it seems - done, onto the next. Except if you have excellent relationship with owner. So much change at Aman. Back in the day, Ed's designs were long-term projects, he would always change something here and there, make it more perfect and would sign off on everything, every detail that management wanted to change. I remember a conversation at Amanjena that Ed looked into every minuscule detail - every flower, candle, carpet and table setting. That's gone. Now they are going to build these uber-modern villas, with.. another architect? But not the first time this fate has struck Ed. Wouldn't surprise me to see The Residences at Amanjena marketed one day. Not that this would be a bad thing, I'm actually quite interested to see how Mr D tries to bring Aman into the 21st century.

Glad you enjoyed your stay! Al-Hamra was the perfect choice indeed, and very original design too. Good you had your Yoga lessons, the spa is clearly nothing to write home about and this is not only due to hardware issues. If it wasn't for a solid chemical-free option that I miss at MO, I would say they have the recipe for a landmark spa. Right now I feel the spa at FS is the best in Marrakech (if not Africa). Hint, hint, MO, Nectarome is not going to cut it.

Last edited by scented; Jan 4, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks Pierre&Cédric !

Originally Posted by scented
Wouldn't surprise me to see The Residences at Amanjena marketed one day. Not that this would be a bad thing, I'm actually quite interested to see how Mr D tries to bring Aman into the 21st century.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Aman never had the money for a proper spa, but they did have the plans. I heard, allegedly, that Ed Tuttle didn't want to do it
unlikely tuttle was interested in 'do this' contract(s)

hmm, amanresorts owns 50% of jena?
BMCE Bank is one of the owners of jena

2006 - https://web.archive.org/web/20061025...illas/home.htm
Aman Villas are for sale at...Amanjena
2007 - https://web.archive.org/web/20071012...e.aspx?id=2308
Amanjena is located just outside the ancient African city of Marrakech. Subject to final development approvals, 22 villas available for sale are planned immediately adjacent to the resort. For avid golfers, seven of these villas border the fairways of the Amelkis Golf Club with the beautiful Royal Golf of Marrakech less than a five-minute car ride away.
2007 - https://web.archive.org/web/20071114...e.aspx?id=2666
All villas will be built in the architectural style of Amanjena and for the mutual protection of all villa owners, development restrictions will be in place to ensure the continued architectural integrity of the resort. Villa lots range from 3,600sq m – 5,600sq m. Each villa come with four to six - bedrooms, a private courtyard, swimming pool, living room, dining room, gym or hammam, jacuzzi and a kitchen. Owners can work with the architect to shape a villa that suits their lifestyle, within the architectural standards of the development. For enquiries on purchasing a villa at Amanjena, contact
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
amandari architect [muller] diary was interesting re zecha >
zecha/aman acquired 50% of dari for $600K
diary is detailed, vs vague 2nd comment here [mentions tuttle] >
http://www.gastroenophile.com/2014/0...zecha-and.html
re tuttle's amangani >
http://wardblakearchitects.com/aman-villas/
strict parameters...resort stipulations created by Tuttle
nine site-sensitive private residences designed by Ward + Blake Architects
http://www.jhsir.com/MlsProperty/14-2391
one of the few Ed Tuttle designed homes at Amangani

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 5, 2016 at 2:06 am
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by scented
Do you have, by chance, any pictures of the new lounge or pool?
What do you call 'the new lounge'?
There is indeed a new children's pool, very small and just outside the gym. You can clearly see it is an addition as it lacks the symmetry of the original features.
I don't know if it's allowed or not but I can scan the resort map showing villas plots, floor plan and exterior design.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new FHR 4th nt free jena - nov > feb
(jena had direct 3rd night free summer 2014)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=1&vwsrc=0
Two new lounges are situated on either side of the reception pavilion, one serving afternoon tea and the other post-prandial cigars and shisha...glass doors which fold away...facilitating year round use. Each lounge features its own fireplace
http://www.travelforsenses.com/amanj...er-renovation/
custom made furniture designed by renowned architect and interior designer Reda Amalou, who has overseen all the design
is new maison jardin new construction or renovation? garden size?
great pool/privacy details, thanks again Pierre&Cédric
existing maison jardin #11 has larger garden than al hamra
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25312083
al hamra added in early 2004, seems from 2 pavilions

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Ed Tuttle design are definitely my favorite ^
other tuttle - puri and gani, both with villas (and le melezin)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 5, 2016 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:52 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
What do you call 'the new lounge'?
There is indeed a new children's pool, very small and just outside the gym. You can clearly see it is an addition as it lacks the symmetry of the original features.
I don't know if it's allowed or not but I can scan the resort map showing villas plots, floor plan and exterior design.
I would love to see the resort map.. I just got copies of the menus and I must say the Japanese restaurant menu looks rather basic.... I was also hoping for something a big more than your basic sushi etc....

FDW
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:37 am

I scanned some pics (not so good quality sorry) from the residences brochure.

This is one of the 2 'new lounges':

Front of the villa:

Back of the villa (side of the 40m long pool):

Floor map of ground floor (1st floor is the master bedroom / study / guest bedroom and roof terrace is an additional pool):

Master plan (you can see in the hotel part the new Maison Jardin which is detached with a larger pool just above 'plot 2'):
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:22 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

For New Years and with a six year old

Hello Everyone,

In between shoveling all day from the blizzard (the cost of a very large driveway!), I think we had a eureka moment for next New Year's: Morocco.

Since we are traveling with our son we want it to be fun for all of us and somewhere that would have an amazing New Year's celebration. I'm thinking somewhere with fireworks that we light off together (like Amanbagh over Diwali). Any recommendations?

I know that Aman would be very nice but I wonder if there are places that might have more kid's activities? Four Seasons? There seem to be way too many awesome places in Marrakesh. Aman appeals to me by the aesthetics, Royal Mansour for the interesting factor, FS because they are so family oriented, MO looks amazing, and so many others have positive aspects. By that time we'll have visited 8 Amans, 3 Oetkers, and several FS resorts--so I we like all those chains.

Any tips?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
Hello Everyone,

In between shoveling all day from the blizzard (the cost of a very large driveway!), I think we had a eureka moment for next New Year's: Morocco.

Since we are traveling with our son we want it to be fun for all of us and somewhere that would have an amazing New Year's celebration. I'm thinking somewhere with fireworks that we light off together (like Amanbagh over Diwali). Any recommendations?

I know that Aman would be very nice but I wonder if there are places that might have more kid's activities? Four Seasons? There seem to be way too many awesome places in Marrakesh. Aman appeals to me by the aesthetics, Royal Mansour for the interesting factor, FS because they are so family oriented, MO looks amazing, and so many others have positive aspects. By that time we'll have visited 8 Amans, 3 Oetkers, and several FS resorts--so I we like all those chains.

Any tips?
The best set-up for kids is Four Seasons Marrakech, which has a whole area devoted to them, including a separate full-size pool and a really nice, just-redesigned kid's club.

MO Marrakech are putting together a petting farm (small animals) as part of their kid's club. This is a stunningly designed resort with first class service and food - very elegant indeed.

Royal Palm Marrakech has a fabulous kid's club.This resort is geared to guests who golf, as it has its own pro course, but even if you don't golf, the food here is exceptional.

Amanjena is beautiful, but it is not designed for kids, despite the new kid's pool.

Palais Namaskar (Oetker) is bettr suited to adults - lots of water hazards for kids, and currently, just one restaurant.

Royal Mansour is definitely not designed for kids.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Being an Amajunkie when I go to Marrakesh I usually stay in Amanjena but this time i found a new Riad that could have ben done by Adrian Zecha. Just perfect.
Almaha

http://www.almahamarrakech.com/fr
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
MO Marrakech are putting together a petting farm (small animals) as part of their kid's club. This is a stunningly designed resort with first class service and food - very elegant indeed.
The modern look of the resort, huge villas and your review has been enough for me to decide to book a long weekend break here in June, instead of Amanjena. We're taking my dad, which means it was cheaper to get the Oriental Pool Suite vs 2 x Mandarin Pool Villa, but I just prefer having a completely separate room, so decided to stick with that. I'll see if they have any availability so I can look at the other room types.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
The modern look of the resort, huge villas and your review has been enough for me to decide to book a long weekend break here in June, instead of Amanjena. We're taking my dad, which means it was cheaper to get the Oriental Pool Suite vs 2 x Mandarin Pool Villa, but I just prefer having a completely separate room, so decided to stick with that. I'll see if they have any availability so I can look at the other room types.
The Oriental Pool Suites have two entirely separate bedrooms - each housed in separate buildings - you just share the pool and courtyard and, if you wish, the breakfast kitchen. It is very well thought through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.