Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why would a Gibraltar bound flight divert to Malaga?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

We were visiting gibraltar today and were lucky enough to see a couple of takeoffs and landings from the top of the rock and from by the runway.

This afternoon I pulled up FR24 and saw BA490 which was diverted to Malaga. At the time I saw it, the plane was flying over northern Spain just approaching Madrid. Im guessing it wasnt a medical emergency or mechanical issue because Madrid would have been a way closer destination.

The plane landed in Malaga and continued on to Gibraltar after that. G-EUUI was the plane.

Does anybody know what happened or the cause for the diversion and why Malaga?
Old May 25, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Gibraltar is a challenging landing, and Malaga is the nearest airport. Happened on an FT Do once.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by david_oz
Does anybody know what happened or the cause for the diversion and why Malaga?
Strong winds most likely, or, which has happened once, a suddenly closed tower. It is an RAF airport I believe, accepting commercial flights. Gibraltar is a notoriously difficult airport to land in and of my 16 flights there this year, 1 has diverted. Rest assured if you fly the route again, and a diversion occurs, it is a well oiled operation with coaches waiting at both ends ready to ferry people back and forth. A friend ended up in Seville recently and again was in Gibraltar only a few hours late.

On a few flights I have seen people without automatic entry to Spain being offloaded at Heathrow as the likelihood of diversion is high. Regularly these are crew members of cruise ships docking in Gibraltar that afternoon.

*There was a point last year wherein I experienced a diversion whilst sat in the lounge. The U2 flight earlier had also diverted last minute, and thus I believe there were ~180 seats available from the coach company which both U2 and BA use. Offers were made to stay a night, on the airlines expense, so again you will be looked after!
Bluekjp, bisonrav, flarmip and 2 others like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Not an uncommon occurence. See these threads for more discussion:
My first experience of GIB, with BA
​​​​​​Gibraltar closed?
​​​​​​Gibraltar Diversion - Still Malaga?
​​​​​​Another BAFT mini-do. Gibraltar, Saturday 23 March 2019
Old May 25, 2024, 4:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Strong winds most likely, or, which has happened once, a suddenly closed tower. It is an RAF airport I believe, accepting commercial flights. Gibraltar is a notoriously difficult airport to land in and of my 16 flights there this year, 1 has diverted. Rest assured if you fly the route again, and a diversion occurs, it is a well oiled operation with coaches waiting at both ends ready to ferry people back and forth. A friend ended up in Seville recently and again was in Gibraltar only a few hours late.

On a few flights I have seen people without automatic entry to Spain being offloaded at Heathrow as the likelihood of diversion is high. Regularly these are crew members of cruise ships docking in Gibraltar that afternoon.

*There was a point last year wherein I experienced a diversion whilst sat in the lounge. The U2 flight earlier had also diverted last minute, and thus I believe there were ~180 seats available from the coach company which both U2 and BA use. Offers were made to stay a night, on the airlines expense, so again you will be looked after!

I wouldnt say its well oiled, on the FT do our flight was diverted to Malaga due to strong winds. They kept people onboard the aircraft that couldnt enter Spain but could enter Gibraltar.. dont know what happens to them. We were told which belt our bags would be on and there were no ground staff for further instructions. On calling THe GGL they couldnt get in touch with Malaga airport operations and it was other tour operators in the meet and greet area pointed us to a lady with a piece of paper held up with
BA490 on not in biro. The only good thing was they had enough coaches and bottled water,

During the pandemic when you could travel to Gibraltar but would need to self quarantine for 14 days if you had been to Spain they said at the gate theres a strong chance of diversion to Malaga and you can be offloaded if you dont want to self isolate on your return to the UK. The flight didnt divert. I imagine things are a bit slicker for GIB departures but when easyJet diverts they dont coach people and cancel the return segments.
Old May 25, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I wouldn’t say it’s well oiled, on the FT do our flight was diverted to Malaga due to strong winds. They kept people onboard the aircraft that couldn’t enter Spain but could enter Gibraltar.. don’t know what happens to them.
I was actually on this flight! I suppose since I did not have hold baggage, I found it somewhat easier. Either way, within an hour I think we were all on our way? At the time it was a **** show - "proceed as far as you can sir" being the advice from the airport, but on reflection - despite being told to queue for the Heathrow flight at one point - it did go well. I think we made it to GIB 3:04 late?

There were two people I know of not keen on Spain, 1F and the chap beside me. He flew back with BA from AGP, free of charge. Didn't get the tier points, mind!

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
During the pandemic when you could travel to Gibraltar but would need to self quarantine for 14 days if you had been to Spain they said at the gate there’s a strong chance of diversion to Malaga and you can be offloaded if you don’t want to self isolate on your return to the UK. The flight didn’t divert. I imagine things are a bit slicker for GIB departures but when easyJet diverts they don’t coach people and cancel the return segments.
Indeed, I recall at one point hoping their diversion was now Faro (during Covid) as I was on a flight the following day, when Faro was on the 'Green' list. Watching flight radar, from Faro, it went to Malaga! I felt very sorry for those folk about to enjoy 14 days quarantine on return, and quickly abandoned this trip.
Old May 26, 2024, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks for the replies. Very helpful!
Old May 26, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Gibraltar is a challenging landing, and Malaga is the nearest airport. Happened on an FT Do once.
That was really fun! haha - oh the memories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.