Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first experience of GIB, with BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
My first experience of GIB, with BA

Having never been before, I thought a couple of days in Gibraltar would be a fun way to fill an otherwise empty schedule. I ended up seeing some of the best of BA as a result (as well as some bad) but the following might be useful to anyone else considering a first time trip…

It began by falling foul of the recent move to T3. I’ve grown very fond of the First Wing at T5 and often think that alone is worth retaining Gold for next year. I mentioned in the other T3 thread that as HBO it took almost an hour to reach the lounge from entering the terminal, but perhaps I was just unlucky. Once inside the First area of the lounge was fine, although as many comment, the food left a lot to be desired in the morning.

Massive queue to reach gate 11, with no signs indicating a priority lane or split. Finally in the holding pen and lots of confusion due to inaudible announcements, which later turned out to be advising we may get diverted to Malaga.

Crew on board we’re superb! So friendly, proactive, efficient…everything I could want. Champagne was poured from big bottles but I couldn’t see from row one how big the CE cabin was, as there wasn’t a curtain. I quite enjoyed the sausages & mash and it was a decent flight, finishing with two attempts of landing at GIB and a diversion to AGP.

Clearly many on board had experienced this before, but as a first timer I thought there could have been a bit more information provided on what to subsequently expect. Will I have to fill out additional forms? Am I expected to find my own way back to GIB? Fortunately all my nervousness was allayed by the single member of staff who met us at the luggage belt. HBOs were told to wait together by the wall, those waiting for luggage were advised to expect it to take a while…

After about fifteen minutes, HBOs were walked downstairs onto a coach, names ticked off on a list, and given bottles of water. Decent coach actually with brilliant seat recline and lots of space, given there was no more than ten people on it! After about an hour the ground agent came back and advised that because everyone else was still waiting upstairs for their luggage she was sending us off! 90-minutes later we arrived at GIB immigration and fortunately it was easy enough. Thanks to the fantastic guidance from David-A I chose to return the following day for my Covid test which was seamless and even better, negative!

BA flights on Friday were cancelled, everything else was diverted due to the high winds again. I crossed my fingers for the Saturday departure while I checked in….only to see I’ve been moved out of 1A and now in row 3. Is that what happens following cancellations with people being rebooked? I was surprised I hadn’t had the usual email prior alerting me. Once onboard 1A, B & C was taken by a party requiring assistance, so I quickly got over having less leg room.

Weather on Saturday was pretty miserable, but at least not windy! Incoming flight looked very delayed but I chose to head to the airport three hours early with the intention of doing a bit of work. Upon arrival the information desk quickly advised not even security opens up until two hours before (we were the only scheduled departure on Saturday after all), so I sat in the cafe and to watch a couple of private jets prepare and depart. Jealous!

Bang on two hours prior to departure and everything opened up. The lounge is pretty big for the airport size and I wished the wether had been better to sit outside - that terrace must be an amazing place in the summer watching the planes and I could easily pass a number of hours there! Packet sandwiches were tasty enough, couple of red and white wine choices, lots of spirits and crisps & cakes - better than I was expecting. Toilets very clean and smart, but sometimes a need to queue given there’s only two and no urinals.

Fantastic crew on the way home again, and as others say this is the best thing about BA. They were fast, friendly and totally proactive at offering drink refills. A thoroughly enjoyable flight and a super fast arrivals process at T3 rounded off the trip nicely. Although I probably won’t be revisiting outside of the summer months!
markmac, GibFlyer, Sealink and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Headed to Gibraltar in a few weeks with BA, looks such a unique destination. Any recent reports from the GIB lounge, is still a good spot?

Separately, I hear Duty Free is pretty reasonable in GIB - is it cheaper to buy in the town or at the airport duty free (after Whisky FWIW!)
Old Jan 21, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
This thread reminded me of the Vanguard out Trident return trip to Gib on BEA. First flight as a young kid. I think I remember facing seats, parents on the other side of a fixed table, and the Trident as noisy as hell, but it was 50 years ago. And I think the border was closed. The photo of me with a Barbary Ape was always used by my elder brother as a " guess which is which" quiz.
londonba2014 and BA or bust like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by lloydah
This thread reminded me of the Vanguard out Trident return trip to Gib on BEA. First flight as a young kid. I think I remember facing seats, parents on the other side of a fixed table, and the Trident as noisy as hell, but it was 50 years ago. And I think the border was closed. The photo of me with a Barbary Ape was always used by my elder brother as a " guess which is which" quiz.
You are right about the facing seats !
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Bit of a shame GIB has no flights to anywhere other than the UK. Missed opportunity for GIB-LIS, GIB-CMN, GIB-TLS at least? Not to mention GIB-MAD which IB should, but won’t, be running…
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:47 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Headed to Gibraltar in a few weeks with BA, looks such a unique destination. Any recent reports from the GIB lounge, is still a good spot?

Separately, I hear Duty Free is pretty reasonable in GIB - is it cheaper to buy in the town or at the airport duty free (after Whisky FWIW!)
Was there a few weeks ago - lounge is amongst the better ones, food selection not that inspiring, but lots of space and nice views.

I can't personally comment on the Duty Free, but it was worthwhile for the Captain to pop in and pick up a bottle of something
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:22 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by salut0
Bit of a shame GIB has no flights to anywhere other than the UK. Missed opportunity for GIB-LIS, GIB-CMN, GIB-TLS at least? Not to mention GIB-MAD which IB should, but won’t, be running
That route (apart from whether it is commecially viable) is far too politically sensitive.
T8191, rockflyertalk and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by BA or bust
That route (apart from whether it is commecially viable) is far too politically sensitive.
Iberia did used to run it a few years back in the mid 2000's. Then RAM used to operate flights over to Casablanca too.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd have taken the opportunity to go to the Cathay First Class lounge, or Qantas lounge whilst in T3.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:30 am

Airport is cheaper for duty free. As others have said, food in the lounge is mainly finger-food snacks but the drinks choice and comfy seats make up for it.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by GibFlyer
Airport is cheaper for duty free. As others have said, food in the lounge is mainly finger-food snacks but the drinks choice and comfy seats make up for it.
Amazing thank you! Will stock up at Airport Duty Free then
Old Jan 22, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Separately, I hear Duty Free is pretty reasonable in GIB - is it cheaper to buy in the town or at the airport duty free
Everywhere is cheap, but the airport is generally cheaper. Shops in town from our experience will generally get more expensive the closer you get to the port presumably to take advantage of somewhat captive and time limited cruise passengers. Some bargains can be had but it can end up being a case of going from one to the next to the next and back again comparing prices.

You know it's good when as soon as you land you have half of the crew in the front galley in their high viz jackets ready to sprint across the apron to be let through to departures to go wild in the aisles.
Nimrod1965 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:27 am

Been to Gib a few times now, last time was back in November. Previously, our group had surfed all of the T3 business lounges but this time, we stuck to the Cathy business lounge, which I think is the best. Not been into any of the First lounges as I don’t have status.

Decent breakfast offering at Cathay and lots of champagne; crew on the flight were excellent and the food was good. A lot of wine consumed with lunch.

I like Europa point at the southern tip of Gibraltar at sunset, looking over to Africa; it’s about a 25 minute walk from the centre of town.

As has been said already, duty free is cheap, some of our party took advantage of cheap cigarettes and bottles of gin.

Lounge is pleasant, especially if you can get a seat outside on the terrace in the sunshine and watch your aircraft arrive.

Deplaning and boarding of the aircraft is via stairs and a short walk, allows you to get plenty of photos of the aeroplane in front of “The Rock” for your Instagram 😉

Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.