Wiki Posts
Search

Cruel promise

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Cruel promise

On the flight to Dulles, was told I would be met by an agent to wisk me through immigration. But there was no one to meet me and immigration was very very long. Nice one
Old May 25, 2024, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Could have been worse, could have seen someone else whisked away in a BMW while you had to wobble along in one of the mobile lounge thingies.
1Aturnleft and ffI like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:38 pm

I think the only wisking that occurs in the US is when you have Global Entry on your passport. Having just secured mine for a recent trip via the US, it was like night and day in comparison to previous US Immigration experiences. $100 + 44 well spent.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
special services do meet some passengers and facilitate their path through immigration.
Jimmie76, Markie, orbitmic and 1 others like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I think the only wisking that occurs in the US is when you have Global Entry on your passport. Having just secured mine for a recent trip via the US, it was like night and day in comparison to previous US Immigration experiences. $100 + 44 well spent.
With the adoption of Mobile Passport Control for ESTA holders I must say the gap is getting narrower for frequent visitors like myself. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge into Global Entry, but in Chicago last February I was out before the General Entry contingent of our party!
higham44 and marconess like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
With the adoption of Mobile Passport Control for ESTA holders I must say the gap is getting narrower for frequent visitors like myself. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge into Global Entry, but in Chicago last February I was out before the General Entry contingent of our party!
No TSA precheck though. And the only reason MPC is quick af the moment is that no one knows about it, not that it is inherently faster than GE.
marconess, Markie and LCSinTexas like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
No TSA precheck though. And the only reason MPC is quick af the moment is that no one knows about it, not that it is inherently faster than GE.
Indeed, GE is the winner and at certain points of entry - Seattle, looking at you - I've definitely wished I had it!
Old May 25, 2024, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
I have it at some other airport. I don't expect it but when I am told I will get it I kind of expect it.
1Aturnleft and 36902BRF like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Why not get it? Its very easy to, costs about the price of a CE POUG, lasts five years and now with interview on arrival is quicker than ever. People are applying, getting conditionally approved and completing on arrival in a short few days / weeks now. Id still have it even if I only went to the US once a year
Old May 25, 2024, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mjack99
I have it at some other airport. I don't expect it but when I am told I will get it I kind of expect it.
Why?
Does it make you feel special?
DXB2745 likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Why not get it? Its very easy to, costs about the price of a CE POUG, lasts five years and now with interview on arrival is quicker than ever. People are applying, getting conditionally approved and completing on arrival in a short few days / weeks now. Id still have it even if I only went to the US once a year
Precisely this.
Until this year I'd been put off by the whole interview experience and apparent lengthy, drawn out process. My application was conditionally approved within 36hrs of applying, interview on arrival at MIA which itself was a separate line for the initial passport check (instant) which in turn led to a holding area for the in person interview. I'd literally sat down having arrived at the holding area and was called forward. The obligatory name verification, look into the camera and have you ever been arrested type questions... 5 mins later I'm in the US. 5hrs later I get the email confirming enrolment is approved with a known traveller ID number. And subsequently GE entry has been extremely efficient and dodges lengthy queues. Plus all further boarding passes to/via/from the US have had TSA pre check.... shoes on and liquids in bags at security at US airports.

I get the OP's frustration but with GE there's no broken promises... it just works.
Markie, camdentown, H2L and 3 others like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; May 25, 2024 at 9:33 pm
Old May 25, 2024, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I will not risk applying since it might be refused, and, then the ESTA route is shut down! My friend indeed managed the whole process I think in four weeks from application to interview, I was jealous!
RJD1983 likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 4:12 pm

I will not risk applying since it might be refused, and, then the ESTA route is shut down! My friend indeed managed the whole process I think in four weeks from application to interview, I was jealous!
The UK Government do your screening / background process (44) which is separate to the GE application ($100). Get the approval code for jumping the UK background hoops, add to your GE application and the rest happens pretty quickly. Fail the UK one then I agree there's no point taking the steps for GE further.
Old May 25, 2024, 7:04 pm

Immigration is a government service, I would expect equal treatment.

Therefore, you have to wait like everyone else…
Old May 25, 2024, 9:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, that is frustrating. IAD was a very regular trip for me, I am fortunate in that I've had interactions with the IAD Special Services team for over the last 20 years or so so we do recognise each other. When I get these messages the usual protocol is for the IFL to hand you over (or introduce you) to the Special Services agent when the doors open. In the unusual event the SS is not at the door when the aircraft arrives, you would take your seat and wait to be collected.

I too would be frustrated in the circumstances you explained, especially when immigration lines are (as they often are at IAD) so long. Unfortunately the agent can get delayed on their way to the gate, especially on the later flights when they are busy handling departing passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.