Cruel promise

Old May 26, 2024, 1:24 am
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,119
Thanks Tobias-UK. I thought about hanging about but thought if they didn't arrive I would be at the end of line (I was lucky to be at the beginning of the BA line which seemed to be behind at least 2 other flights). Next time I will ask to be handed over 👍
mjack99 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 1:42 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL
Posts: 891
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
I will not risk applying since it might be refused, and, then the ESTA route is shut down! My friend indeed managed the whole process I think in four weeks from application to interview, I was jealous!
Why would denying Global Entry (as opposed to a Visa) cause the ESTA route to be shut down?
abligh is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 1:47 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by FormerNo14ontheA380
Why?
Does it make you feel special?
I don't understand what you're saying here. If a service was offered it's reasonable to expect that service. Why the service was offered, presumably because they spend with the airline, is not really the point.

Originally Posted by cauchy
Immigration is a government service, I would expect equal treatment.

Therefore, you have to wait like everyone else…
Between Global Entry, and the Clear service it's pretty obvious the, US in this case, government is available at a price.
rugby23 likes this.
dougzz is online now  
Old May 26, 2024, 3:37 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 30,789
Originally Posted by mjack99
On the flight to Dulles, was told I would be met by an agent to wisk me through immigration. But there was no one to meet me and immigration was very very long. Nice one
can you say a bit more about who told you and under what circumstances? Was it a late flight and short connnection or just standard?
orbitmic is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 3:44 am
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 16,429
When flying LHR-IAD in F last year the IFM told me they'd received a message that I could use the diplomatic channel at immigration. I double checked he had the right name (as I have no diplomatic credentials), which he did.

In the end, I didn't test whether I could actually use it as the regular line wasn't long and I was concerned at being sent to the back of the A380 line, but I'm curious why this happened and whether I would have been permitted to use the diplomatic channel if I had tried.
Genius1 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 3:58 am
  #21  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posts: 3,289
Originally Posted by KARFA
special services do meet some passengers and facilitate their path through immigration.
Please say more about this.
KatW is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 4:21 am
  #22  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,966
Originally Posted by KatW
Please say more about this.
I don't think there's a lot more than can be added, it's just a member of staff that, well, facilitates - walks with them - through immigration and perhaps cut through a queue or two. However SS are not a big team and may only have one person (or less) available for an arrival at IAD, so their efforts / focus will be on passengers who have a significant value to the airline. In this case, given the itchy arrival process in IAD it isn't surprising if SS were late to the arrival gate.
HarryHolden68 and KARFA like this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old May 26, 2024, 4:27 am
  #23  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posts: 3,289
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think there's a lot more than can be added, it's just a member of staff that, well, facilitates - walks with them - through immigration and perhaps cut through a queue or two. However SS are not a big team and may only have one person (or less) available for an arrival at IAD, so their efforts / focus will be on passengers who have a significant value to the airline. In this case, given the itchy arrival process in IAD it isn't surprising if SS were late to the arrival gate.
Thanks. I understand that expedited escort exists in other countries but not commonly available in the U.S. So I’m interested to know how this was supposed to be arranged. Yes, discounting global entry, etc. Tell ne more about SS. is that wheelchair service?
KatW is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 4:32 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Posts: 28
Passport control at IAD is pretty nightmarish, I've spent two full hours in the queue a couple of times. That was before I got Global Entry, and my word, does it feel like black magic. You just sail through, really quite remarkable. Getting TSA PreCheck (of less consistent quality at various airports, ORD was my most recent and it was fantastic) is an amazing cherry on top. Highly highly recommended for anyone that travels at least once a year to the States. Mobile Passport Control is currently just as good (at least in Miami where I went with my family who don't have Global Entry), but as mentioned above, I suspect that's only because people don't currently know about it.
camdentown likes this.
jrothlis is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 5:10 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US/UK - and elsewhere
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,657
US immigration is a bit of an arms-race. Mobile-GE is now available where you download their (CBP) app, take a selfie as soon as you land and essentially walk up to the immigration booth - in my experience the Mobile-GE pax are prioritised over the regular GE pax.
Markie likes this.
CKBA is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 5:22 am
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,119
Originally Posted by orbitmic
can you say a bit more about who told you and under what circumstances? Was it a late flight and short connnection or just standard?
Sure. I was on BA217 at 13.35 from LHR. I was in F. I was told by the flight attendant that they had a message from the flight deck that I would be escorted to immigration. That was it.
mjack99 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 6:26 am
  #27  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Posts: 40,316
Originally Posted by FormerNo14ontheA380
Why?
Does it make you feel special?
I think we all expect to be made to feel a wee bit special when flying F even those like me without status. So the OP makes a fair point especially as he was told to expect special treatment on arrival.

I do like the thread title ''Cruel Promise'' It would make an excellent Hollywood film title.
HIDDY is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 6:48 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Posts: 4,511
Originally Posted by Genius1
When flying LHR-IAD in F last year the IFM told me they'd received a message that I could use the diplomatic channel at immigration. I double checked he had the right name (as I have no diplomatic credentials), which he did.

In the end, I didn't test whether I could actually use it as the regular line wasn't long and I was concerned at being sent to the back of the A380 line, but I'm curious why this happened and whether I would have been permitted to use the diplomatic channel if I had tried.
Surely tis your IHG Ambassador status?
HIDDY likes this.
BA or bust is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 8:56 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UK (currently)
Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Posts: 7,247
Originally Posted by jrothlis
Mobile Passport Control is currently just as good (at least in Miami where I went with my family who don't have Global Entry), but as mentioned above, I suspect that's only because people don't currently know about it.
I recently went through MIA and got MPC through the MPC app. However, I had no idea where to go when I arrived, so just joined the general queue which was only 20 mins.

Where did I go wrong? Where should I have gone with my MPC pass? Unusually, I was not asked for my fingerprints - I wonder if that was anything to do with my MPC pass?
Frequentflyer99 is offline  
Old May 26, 2024, 10:33 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 7,032
Originally Posted by CKBA
US immigration is a bit of an arms-race. Mobile-GE is now available where you download their (CBP) app, take a selfie as soon as you land and essentially walk up to the immigration booth - in my experience the Mobile-GE pax are prioritised over the regular GE pax.
I have had GE almost since its inception and Mobile Global Entry is news to me. I just downloaded the app, so we'll see how it goes when I next arrive back in the US. Unfortunately in many cases the speed of GE just means I get to spend more time waiting for the baggage belt to start.
Stripe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.