Wiki Posts
Search

Looks like more entry restrictions for Canada coming

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Looks like more entry restrictions for Canada coming

Looks like more restrictions are coming. Possibly, a supervised quarantine in hotels for anyone having to quarantine when returning from any international destination. Some provincial PMs are really pushing for it, saying we should do the same as Australia or New Zealand (doesn't matter to them that imported cases represent 100% of new cases in NZ and 2% in Canada and that the majority of travelers like those crossing the land border regularly will still be exempted).
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
While nothing surprises me anymore I wouldn't expect to see such draconian steps as enforced 14-day quarantine hotel stays for all international arrivals into Canada as both Australia and N.Z. both have much easier borders with which to erect such barriers and both aimed for zero cases Canada hasn't and isn't likely to given the amount of cross-border traffic even in the midst of a pandemic.

That said, I could see certain air routes being suspended as was the case to the UK pre-Christmas as well as a more robust enforcement of arrival quarantine requirements. There is also the possibility of the government moving Canada to the current level 3 'avoid all non-essential travel' advisory to level 4 travel advisory to 'avoid all travel' which would effectively shut down all int. passenger air routes but that's a pretty big stick to wield.
LETTERBOY and oreomilkshake like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Looks like more restrictions are coming. Possibly, a supervised quarantine in hotels for anyone having to quarantine when returning from any international destination. Some provincial PMs are really pushing for it, saying we should do the same as Australia or New Zealand (doesn't matter to them that imported cases represent 100% of new cases in NZ and 2% in Canada and that the majority of travelers like those crossing the land border regularly will still be exempted).
Can you provide links to some sources? I'm interested in reading more about this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Can you provide links to some sources? I'm interested in reading more about this.
Yes sure, however most of what I read about it is in French.
It's currently the headline on the Radio-Canada website (French CBC)
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...espistage-vols
They interviewed Dominic LeBlanc (Intergovernmental Affairs minister) who said it is coming soon, probably next week.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
They can have all the restrictions they want but if they don't enforce them what is the point? A man travelling from Nigeria managed to board a Delta flight on Tuesday from Detroit to Toronto with no Covid test certificate and died from Covid Wed. morning

Man reportedly dies from COVID-19 just hours after flying into Canada | Toronto Sun
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:37 am

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took his "no travel" talk to a higher level today, urging Canadians to not only avoid travel to sun destinations but also within Canada.

He also said mandatory quarantines at hotels for people returning or coming to Canada - an idea floated this week by Quebec Premier Francois Legault - is an idea that's under consideration and that tougher measures could be announced early next week.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:51 am

The big problem is Canada’s current policy doesn’t enforce any quarantine at the port of entry but rather allows residents to go onward to their final destination in Canada to quarantine. So someone flying into YYZ can then fly onward to western Canada to do their quarantine.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The big problem is Canada’s current policy doesn’t enforce any quarantine at the port of entry but rather allows residents to go onward to their final destination in Canada to quarantine. So someone flying into YYZ can then fly onward to western Canada to do their quarantine.
That makes sense but would be unfair to someone outside of the GTA (or a hundred mile radius) as the vast majority of international flights, especially long haul, are in and out of YYZ. People near YVR and YYC have some options, connecting via the US, but those often require multiple connections. That can be avoided with commonsense policies like Alberta's testing on arrival. For connecting passengers it could be done with inexpensive rapid tests. Yes they aren't as accurate as the "gold standard" PCR but the numbers they will miss are miniscule in the grand scheme. From tcook052's link, the article quotes the PM:

"As I said a few days ago, this is no time to be taking a trip abroad, especially a non-essential trip or a vacation. We will perhaps be implementing new measures without any warning, and these measures will make it much more difficult for Canadians to come home after a trip.”

He also cautioned that Canadians don't want borders "to open too early."
The "without warning" bit doesn't sit right with me. Same goes for doing a end run around the Charter, effectively stopping travel without an outright ban. But hey, the electorate supports it. SMH.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
The "without warning" bit doesn't sit right with me. Same goes for doing a end run around the Charter, effectively stopping travel without an outright ban.
While it isn't included in my previously linked article the PM has said acknowledged in recent days the charter right to travel so I can't see it being ignored with the adoption of a total int. travel ban. More restrictions, probably, but not a complete ban on all int. travel.

As Trudeau noted today, freedom of movement is a constitutional right for all Canadians, as outlined in Section 6 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms: ‘Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.’
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
While it isn't included in my previously linked article the PM has said acknowledged in recent days the charter right to travel so I can't see it being ignored with the adoption of a total int. travel ban.

As Trudeau noted today, freedom of movement is a constitutional right for all Canadians, as outlined in Section 6 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms: ‘Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.’
But they can make it darn difficult with mandatory covid tests within 24/48 hours of departure, mandatory covid test upon arrival, mandatory quarantine at port of entry, etc. And March Break is coming up soon.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC MM
But they can make it darn difficult with mandatory covid tests within 24/48 hours of departure, mandatory covid test upon arrival, mandatory quarantine at port of entry, etc. And March Break is coming up soon.
They could easily limit inter-provinical travel again and introduce testing to travel to another province and again upon return, even adding a 14 day quarantine like the Atlantic bubble is already doing.
I honestly didn't see this trend coming but nothing surprises me anymore.

Looks like 2021 is becoming 2020 on steroids.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:32 pm

Yes, they can make travel even more difficult and seem intent on doing so but I wouldn't worry about March Break as I'm sure only a tiny fraction of people will be traveling this year compared to a normal year.
yvrcnx, LETTERBOY and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Were I not in a relationship with a Canadian woman I would really be regretting not having stayed in the US back in March.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:15 pm
gei

Jesus this is horrible. The fear machine is really running at full strength these days. How much crazier will these restrictions get??
Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS

Canada working with the US to close travel 'loophole'

Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.