Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

luxury properties 'closed' to nonguests ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

anything interesting in europe? any level of luxuriousness, any location

doesn't have to be remote, doesn't have to have major pool/spa/etc facilities

usual suspects: NE US (twin farms, the point) and safari-style various places

edit: thanks !

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 13, 2018 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:27 pm

I suppose it depends how harsh you wish to be with the criteria. Both Ellerman House and Villa Feltrinelli do not allow outside guests, but both mention they allow regulars to come for dinner without staying.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

feltrinelli restaurant was public ? (ballyfin's became public)

ellerman is good example, i think others in ZA

NZ is the best country in the world for this, no idea why
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:11 pm

Perhaps Villa Feltrinelli changed it recently.

Saffire Freycinet would be another.

As for New Zealand, I'd assume a variety of factors create that: a lot of the lodges are half or full board, most are incredibly remote, most are very small and intimate. The latter is the most important, as external guests seek to ruin the consistency you experience with a similar group of people throughout the stay. I would assume most all-inclusive luxury properties would also not allow external guests, as it ruins the intimacy and experience for the hotel guests. Plus they suddenly have to create prices. I doubt anyone will be showing up at North Island for lunch whilst staying at the Four Seasons.

Whilst it's not what you've asked:
  • Park Hotel Vitznau does not allow non-residents to use the spa, which I think is quite rare and also quite good.
  • Iniala has a restaurant which does allow outside guests, but the rest of the property is off bounds
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The Raffles Singapore. Except for the crappy "Long Bar" and the tourist trap shopping complex, pretty much the whole hotel is off limits to guests (and I like that). Not sure if that's going to change post-renovation.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

speaking only for myself, im not really concerned with "offtopic" in my threads

feltrinelli allowed tourists for a single drink, if they say "regulars" they likely just turn 'certain' people away, anything better than nothing but not 'closed'

the question is why is NZ is the only country in the world like that, for example relative lack of luxury in AU (incl wolgan - reports dropping off)

raffles has always had comments about that here, not too big with the pool etc, good example in a city, and rare in cities (vs public bars next to pools...)

caribbean and places with waterline/tide laws are interesting, petit st vincent allowed nonguests, boaters would come in to the restaurant/bar

nimmo(?) allows some nonguests by boat, noticed recently when looking at most expensive places in NW (among most expensive in world)

inclusive rates may help with budgeting, and perhaps increasing losses when the goal is NOL for taxes which applies to at least one in NZ

could use the wiki to break down different types, like vitznau etc

the closing of facilities (like the only pool) to guests, for events, can get crazy

zero nonguests is rare, why i asked specifically for europe for example

speaking of, imagine smaller honegg with no 'restaurant' and no advertising

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 12, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've been to many many hotels where you must be on their list for the guard to let you by the gate. One that comes to mind is the Andaz Papagayo, Costa Rica. We wanted to see the Four Seasons that is on the same peninsula. We had staff at the Andaz call and make arrangements for us to be allowed to visit the Four Seasons. Once on property, we were told where we could visit and how long we could stay. We were at the Aman Sveti Stefan a few weeks ago. I believe you must be a guest to enter the island. There is a guard at the end of the causeway who checks on the list to see if you are a guest, then radios to staff on the island.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've been to many many hotels where you must be on their list for the guard to let you by the gate. One that comes to mind is the Andaz Papagayo, Costa Rica. We wanted to see the Four Seasons that is on the same peninsula. We had staff at the Andaz call and make arrangements for us to be allowed to visit the Four Seasons.
more common for more 'remote' especially in certain regions
but NOT limited to that, for example twin farms in vermont
posts here said twin farms checkin procedure benefits from it

dont recall punta mita having secondary gates, vs papagayo
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:31 pm
Original Member

Post Ranch Inn's location is accessible only through a guarded gate through which pass only registered guests and people with lunch or dinner reservations.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 12, 2018 at 10:56 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
For a city location the Ritz London (not to be confused with a Ritz Carlton) doesn't allow non guest past the checkin desk and if you have a reservation for Tea or Dinner as a non guest you must be up to dress code which last time I was there was a jacket and tie for gentlemen. Probably not quite what you're looking for, but very exclusive none the less.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:01 am

Naladhu in the Maldives is open only to resident guests. Naladhu guests have access to the two sister islands, but the reverse is not true for guests staying at Dhigu or Veli.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Pickles
The Raffles Singapore. Except for the crappy "Long Bar" and the tourist trap shopping complex, pretty much the whole hotel is off limits to guests (and I like that). Not sure if that's going to change post-renovation.
I've dined at the Tiffin Room as a non-resident, albeit with a reservation.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Burj Arab is a good excample also it's more a zoo than a hotel.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:49 pm
Suspended

A friend of mine said he was turned away from Villa d'Este when he went for a drink. Guard at a gate with a list. When I was recently at Mayakoba (Rosewood) it seemed like you couldn't get into the complex (Fairmont, Andaz, Banyan Tree) at the gate off the road unless you had a reservation. Took them about 10 minutes as they couldn't find my name initially

It seems like there are two reasons to prohibit non guests: Privacy for guests and security concerns. I didn't think the Mayakoba golf course was limited to guests, so perhaps you just need to have reservation in advance.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:26 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Just returned from visiting all the Katikies properties across Santorini and Mykonos...they don't allow nonguests to access nor have meals at the resorts...something I really appreciated!
On the flip side, at Katikies Santorini, you would just see lots of people taking selfies by the entrance, lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.