Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Dozens of CPH cancellations due to wildcat strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dozens of CPH cancellations due to wildcat strike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:35 am

According to the SAS person I just spoke to, there are negotiations today at 1400, and they are hopeful to get it resolved then.
So there will be new news after that meeting, and hopefully they will go back to work after that!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Henry,

None of us have seen their current vacation agreement-- it may be crap, or not...we don't know.. But either way, it is unfair to everybody to strike unanounced. It is not in the worker's own interest, as such tactics and emotions simply force everybody further to their corner.

I frankly see this as the begining of the end for an independent SAS. I really thought that they had made it through the woods. But i see this as costing simply too much money and too much reputation. My prediction is that this one gets very ugly, and becomes the first step towards SAS takeover.

I find the whole thing quite sad. Thinking ahead a bit, I hope LH leaves the screens in the econ seatbacks.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:04 am

Programs: SK*G, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 Gold
Isn't this an excellent opportunity to get rid of all these old Danish FA's and get a fresh new start.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:13 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by DeninDK
I find the whole thing quite sad. Thinking ahead a bit, I hope LH leaves the screens in the econ seatbacks.
It would be too expensive to remove those so I think LH will leave those in place

Originally Posted by Bjornstrom
Isn't this an excellent opportunity to get rid of all these old Danish FA's and get a fresh new start.
Exactly my thoughts. Roll-in the new cabin crew.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: SK *B (?)
None of us have seen their current vacation agreement-- it may be crap, or not...we don't know.. But either way, it is unfair to everybody to strike unanounced.
Exactly. There are other, legal, ways for them to pressure SAS, up to and including lawful strikes. Acting this way is childish, rude and just plain stupid.

I expect some... tension between cabin crew and rebooked passengers when the flights start up again.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:19 am

I frankly see this as the begining of the end for an independent SAS. I really thought that they had made it through the woods. But i see this as costing simply too much money and too much reputation. My prediction is that this one gets very ugly, and becomes the first step towards SAS takeover.
I think it may even have the opposite effect - who would want to buy SAS and have to deal with all these unions?! Would frighten me away anyway!
They may be interested in SK BU and SK SE, but SK DK?!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
I think it may even have the opposite effect - who would want to buy SAS and have to deal with all these unions?! Would frighten me away anyway!
They may be interested in SK BU and SK SE, but SK DK?!
Don't buy the company, buy the equipment, routes and customer base (FF databases and corporate contracts). Run the rest of the company into the bankruptcy. I don't know how would that actually work ... maybe you cannot actually do that ...

If this scares everyone off the SAS then it means that SAS will always stay as a small player ... I was just reading Flying Blue newsletter today how Air France - KLM operate 92 weekly nonstop flights to China. SAS is very small compared to some big ones in Europe. Cannot believe that when you read through SAS historic pages and what they have been in the past.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
I hope someone will post the decision by FAs whether or not to go back to work here. My partner's flight was cancelled this morning, but as it was only CPH-ARN there was a "Swedish" flight leaving just an hour later which SK rebooked automatically (and offered 100 DKK compensation). My only worry is that my partner has to fly ARN-CPH-FCO on Saturday (on two separate tickets to boot). There's a direct flight on Sunday, but I wonder how keen SK would be on rebooking two tickets into one (the CPH-FCO leg is in C). Anyway let's hope the strike is over before the w/end.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
... it is unfair to everybody to strike unanounced. It is not in the worker's own interest ...
Unfortunately for the passengers (and I too am booked on an SK CPH flight in less than 48 hours from now), action like this is about the only effective choice the workers have. What are they supposed to do? 'Hello, Management? Hi. You know, we're not happy here! So we're thinking of going on strike! Let's see ... how about Saturday afternoon, the 2nd of June? Would that be OK with you? Make sure you get everybody re-routed by then, so that no-one is inconvenienced and, most importantly, so that the Company doesn't lose any money!'

This is a desperate situation for everyone involved. I realise that mine is not a popular viewpoint here, what with most frequent flyers being businessmen. But I can't just sit back and watch everyone dump on the staff when 50% of the responsibility ('two to tango' and all that) lies with the company.

The FAs have taken this drastic step, fully aware of the consequences that might result. That by itself should be a signal as to how serious they think the situation is.

cheers,

Henry
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:29 am

According to Finnish newspaper SAS has demanded that DK cabin crew will return their uniforms and ID badges. The newspaper was referring to Swedish TV4 and their webpage but they didn't provide the link.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by miikka
According to Finnish newspaper SAS has demanded that DK cabin crew will return their uniforms and ID badges. The newspaper was referring to Swedish TV4 and their webpage but they didn't provide the link.
I saw it here:
http://www.svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink....22620&a=814980

Good SAS! I think we'll see them going back to work later tonight!

Edited to add: Also here: http://www.tv4.se/nyheter/545144.html

Last edited by Point_Chaser; Apr 26, 2007 at 6:54 am
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:52 am

(deleted - double post because of the timeout)

Last edited by miikka; Apr 26, 2007 at 7:15 am

Originally Posted by miikka
This has just been confirmed. Uniforms, badges, and parking permits to be returned to SAS. I have a US flight this weekend. Guess I have to go BA now... though I hate LHR connections... Very hard to understand this strike... The payrise offered seemed very generous to me. And if you work in the transport sector it cannot really be much of a surprise that not everyone can go on vacation in july and august....

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Originally Posted by henry999
[What are they supposed to do? 'Hello, Management? Hi. You know, we're not happy here! So we're thinking of going on strike! Let's see ... how about Saturday afternoon, the 2nd of June? Would that be OK with you?!'
Now you are just being silly. In fact this is how effective strikes work. The union sets a deadline and then there are talks beforehand. This leads to real negotiation and if not, a strike. It is called conflict resolution. Of course the more emotional approach to negotiation that you seem to favor is certainly also used.. it is in fact the standard approach used in for example the Middle East or the Bush White house. Personally, I think better outcomes for workers come from the other approach. To each his own, I guess. I'll leave it at that.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Point_Chaser
Edited to add: Also here: http://www.tv4.se/nyheter/545144.html
Interesting part in this article:

Fortsätter personalen att strejka kommer det med all säkerhet att bli dyrare. Nu betalar personalen 30 kronor för varje strejkad timme i böter men det kommer att höjas till 70 kronor per timme. Även facket riskerar att få böter.
- Om arbetsdomstolen anser att inte facket försökt tillräkligt hårt för att få personalen att gå tillbaka till jobbet kommer de att bötas för det, säger Ola Christensen.
SAS och fackförbundet träffas just nu, 14:30 i arbetsdomstolen.
Quickly for those that don't understand Swedish:
Right now the CA's on strike are paying 30kr/hour when they are on strike in a fine, although it will be increased to 70kr/hour.
CAU may also be liable to a fine if they are found not having done enough to try to get their members back in service.

SAS and CAU are in a meeting with the labour court now at 1430. Let's see what unfolds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.