Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

40 minutes in Stockholm - will I make it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I am using my united miles to get a *A flight from VIE to MSP and this is the only flight they could find for the date I needed:

Vienna, Austria (VIE) to Stockholm, Sweden (ARN)
Austrian Airlines 0311
Operated by TYROLEAN AIRWAYS
May 26 07:10 AM depart VIE
May 26 09:35 AM arrival ARN

Stockholm, Sweden (ARN) to Chicago, IL (ORD)
SAS 0945
May 26 10:15 AM depart ARN
May 26 12:20 PM arrival ORD

Chicago, IL (ORD) to Minneapolis, MN (MSP)
United Airlines 0385
May 26 03:07 PM depart ORD
May 26 04:31 PM arrival MSP

What I'm concerned about is that I only have 40 minutes in Stockholm to make that international connection. That's a very small amount of time.

What do you guys think? I kinda have to take the flight, as I need to make it to a friend's graduation that's on Sunday.

What will be my options if I don't make the connection?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

It's exactly the same connection time I have when I connect from OSL. I have done the route 50+ times and I have missed the connection once.

If you land on time, you will have absolutely no issue, but if you get in 25 minutes late, there will be a problem

SAS will re-route you through CPH if you miss the flight. You will land at ORD 5 1/2 hours later than your original plan. There are plenty of flights to MSP for you to rebook to that evening (on both UA and AA)
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:21 pm

Usually, 40min conn. time should suffice - have done it many times in that airport. I do not know what they'd do if you missed your connection, but I imagine that SAS would reroute you via CPH, where it should be possible for you to get onwards. I've on other occasions had short connections, and SAS seems to go out of their way to be helpful in their home airport(s)....

In other words: I wouldn't worry.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tommy777
It's exactly the same connection time I have when I connect from OSL. I have done the route 50+ times and I have missed the connection once.

If you land on time, you will have absolutely no issue, but if you get in 25 minutes late, there will be a problem

SAS will re-route you through CPH if you miss the flight. You will land at ORD 5 1/2 hours later than your original plan. There are plenty of flights to MSP for you to rebook to that evening (on both UA and AA)
Couldn't have said it better myself and gels perfectly with my own experiences.

And for getting to MSP, if by some off chance the connection is missed, ask to be reaccomodated -- perhaps by KL/NW to MSP or DTW+MSP via AMS if wanting SkyTeam carriers; perhaps via ___(LHR, FRA, etc.)+ORD for Star Alliance or OneWorld carriers.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your input - I feel much better about the connection! I hope everything goes ok and that it will be a nice sunny day with no delays
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I think his problem might be that a Tyrolean RJ might get a bus gate, so this causes additional delay. However, the bus brings you to the edge of the F terminal, so you save maybe 3-5 min of walking.

I would check the history of this Tyrolean flight; where it arrives and on time record. If it's on time then you are ok, but margins are minimal if you are delayed and have to wait to load a bus on arrival.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
I think his problem might be that a Tyrolean RJ might get a bus gate, so this causes additional delay. However, the bus brings you to the edge of the F terminal, so you save maybe 3-5 min of walking.

I would check the history of this Tyrolean flight; where it arrives and on time record. If it's on time then you are ok, but margins are minimal if you are delayed and have to wait to load a bus on arrival.
gnaget - could you please show me where I could check the history of this flight? I'm trying to look up any history info on austrian airlines' website - but I am not having any luck.

EDIT: I found that I could check in arrival/departures, but I can only go 1 day back.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:07 pm

Programs: SK*G
To check historical data, I use www.flightstats.com. Here's the link for your particular flight: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=311

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.