Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The SAS | EuroBonus Forum Kafé

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Sweden prefers extending poor care to everyone as opposed to acceptable or mediocre care to its taxpayers. Combined with poor pay and no performance management for doctors its a recipe for continued disaster. With Swedes not understanding that change is required to improve things and that such change needs to happen without the kindergarten mentality of consensus, you should either maintain access to private healthcare or have healthcare options abroad. Even countries like Estonia and Poland provide far better care (including dental) than Sweden.
It will be interesting to see how in this upcoming situation Sweden will deal with its legions of healthcare workers working only 80% or so of the regular hours for full-time employees, especially the employees who use kids as the excuse for the time off but are then instead using the time to add to their “me time” without kids.
bluesaturn likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:38 am

I think it is quite hilarious that after the first week of home office, companies around said: "Well, that works! Why don't we do that more often... no reason not to trust our people to do their job at home". Now, I see on LinkedIn in my network (mostly mid to upper tier managers) everyday someone posting pics with him/her and their kids or pets, which obviously cannot manage on their own, moaning that the kids or pets are so distracting and it is hardly possible to do real work at home.

For once:
1) As employee, don't post these kind of post! They show you are not even capable of managing your own kids or pets.
2) As employeer, review the LinkedIn feeds of your managers

Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
I think it is quite hilarious that after the first week of home office, companies around said: "Well, that works! Why don't we do that more often... no reason not to trust our people to do their job at home". Now, I see on LinkedIn in my network (mostly mid to upper tier managers) everyday someone posting pics with him/her and their kids or pets, which obviously cannot manage on their own, moaning that the kids or pets are so distracting and it is hardly possible to do real work at home.

For once:
1) As employee, don't post these kind of post! They show you are not even capable of managing your own kids or pets.

They should have had someone like my grandmother as their CEO, since she managed to make everything run with a house full of young kids — even with my grandfather absent a lot — and get them all well educated and stuff without the benefit of most modern conveniences. And all done without whining about kids not being manageable and no complaining about anything else ..... other than about too many adults behaving as selfish, over-entitled ingrates.

Of course she probably had quite the firm hand too to deploy or threaten to deploy as and when she deemed appropriate.
FlyingMoose likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 26, 2020 at 7:50 am
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:57 am

I guess it is an effect of the "part-time parenting" of the last two/three decades. A lot of people are not used anymore to take essential care of their kids but push education out to the society like kindergarden and schools. So, they are only exposed to kids in their free time to organize the fun activities... which obviously collides with home office. You just cannot play "Dance Dance Revolution" and have a tender bid presentation via Skype at the same time. Well, you can... if you sell the right product
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

For once:
I find it borderline shocking that we need COVID-19 to happen for large corporations to become aware of the fact that for large groups of their office workers there is no need to come into the office and we could have been making major positive improvements to productivity, infrastructure congestion and the environment for years. Any business should be able to measure productivity and wether staff is meeting their goals regardless of their physical working location. What people post online is irrelevant to that. However in order to be productive at home outside of pandemics, there does need to be childcare, working from home doesn't mean you can be a full-time parent at the same time, that still needs to be outsourced to an affordable external party. The benefits lie within not having to commute, less distractions, no need for fossils fuels to drive cars and relaxation of overburdened infrastructure.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
They should have had someone like my grandmother as their CEO, since she managed to make everything run with a house full of young kids — even with my grandfather absent a lot — and get them all well educated and stuff without the benefit of most modern conveniences. And all done without whining about kids not being manageable and no complaining about anything else ..... other than about too many adults behaving as selfish, over-entitled ingrates.
I love this, need to keep reminding people all the time. Especially modern day 'strong independent personalities' who can barely take care of theirselves while the previous generation(s) combined full time work with educating and raising multiple children often alone as their spouse's jobs required being away a lot.
fassy likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:07 am

True, I’m home based for about 10 years and so are most of my peers. Has never been a problem. Even for those with kids.

But now, you get office warriors to stay home with kids - and they are totally overwhelmed
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
That is because disasters don't happen here. Unfortunately I'm not sure even a disaster here would wake up some people. They will be very agitated and claim it was never possible to see what happened. They will also blame those that warned...
I think they will somewhat wake up if it gets to the level Italy and Spain is now, and they will still blame each other for the deaths.

Sweden prefers extending poor care to everyone as opposed to acceptable or mediocre care to its taxpayers. Combined with poor pay and no performance management for doctors its a recipe for continued disaster. With Swedes not understanding that change is required to improve things and that such change needs to happen without the kindergarten mentality of consensus, you should either maintain access to private healthcare or have healthcare options abroad. Even countries like Estonia and Poland provide far better care (including dental) than Sweden.
Quite often a suggestion for improvement = criticism in Sweden. What I have heard a lot is, "if there's no problem, what's the problem". A guy works at the packing company "T" said that his managers blamed they can't make more money than now because of unfair competition from abroad - again the blame game.

It will be interesting to see how in this upcoming situation Sweden will deal with its legions of healthcare workers working only 80% or so of the regular hours for full-time employees, especially the employees who use kids as the excuse for the time off but are then instead using the time to add to their “me time” without kids.
Aftonbladet said 3000 health workers are already on sick leave in Skane and Skane has like 60 ICU beds for 1.4M people.

Btw, train conductors are no longer working on pagatog in Skane, and yet they are still pressuring parents to send their kids to go to school.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course she probably had quite the firm hand too to deploy or threaten to deploy as and when she deemed appropriate.
Yeah your grandmother could discipline the kids - can you imagine doing that nowadays? The parents will be reported to the police and the kids will be removed and send to foster care which run by a bunch of money makers who are more interest in the money than the children.

Plus there wasn't FT at that time

I guess it is an effect of the "part-time parenting" of the last two/three decades. A lot of people are not used anymore to take essential care of their kids but push education out to the society like kindergarden and schools. So, they are only exposed to kids in their free time to organize the fun activities... which obviously collides with home office. You just cannot play "Dance Dance Revolution" and have a tender bid presentation via Skype at the same time. Well, you can... if you sell the right product
Most parents throw their kids to all kinds of extracurricular and now they are shut down. The problem is the government makes law that take some power away from parents - we are not allowed to scold, yell at our kids. The kids know their rights because they learn that as one of the first things. At the same time, schools here don't want trouble so managements which don't want trouble will tell their staff to make the kids happy. The result is that kids can do whatever they want at schools - my kids school is like a bazaar, totally out of control at times and some teachers had to walk out or hide from the kids to get sanity. If a teacher is strict, they get complaint from parents, a mum told me that she want to strangle a teacher because he is making her kid nervous. I said, "he is strict but he got your kid to do the work, right?" She said, "yeah my kid was pretty serious in it". I said, "you see my point here - if the teacher isn't strict your kid wouldn't give a damn, so him being strict makes your kid learn".

I love this, need to keep reminding people all the time. Especially modern day 'strong independent personalities' who can barely take care of theirselves while the previous generation(s) combined full time work with educating and raising multiple children often alone as their spouse's jobs required being away a lot.
Again there was no FT back then

Our lives are more complicated than the past generations - with our phones and computers we are ON all the time, too many distractions and too many choices. Kids back then didn't have phones, computers, consoles and they are more respectful to adults because of the culture. More importantly, proper education was appreciated back then, it was a way to get a better life. Now? Especially in the West, a teacher probably makes the same $ as a VVS guy. Schools are places to dump your kids so you can achieve your carrier goals or get your sanity.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Lots of schools and classes in Sweden are indeed like zoos and have been for years. And these same zoo school occupants who are older a bit have had their schools closed down and are now being expected to follow advice to avoid non-essential travel and engage in social distancing and be good boy s and girls after years of monkeying around? Sounds like a recipe for success, eh?
Originally Posted by nacho

Aftonbladet said 3000 health workers are already on sick leave in Skane and Skane has like 60 ICU beds for 1.4M people.

Btw, train conductors are no longer working on pagatog in Skane, and yet they are still pressuring parents to send their kids to go to school.
I wonder how many of those on sick leave are at Swedish ski resorts or hanging around Stockholm or other entertainment destinations in Sweden. Hotels have been marketing “staycations” in Sweden .... perhaps knowing full well that they are marketing hotels across Sweden when doing these marketing campaigns.

Ticket checking on the Swedish ski trains has been disappearing too. And you can bet that teenagers and young adults in Sweden know how to plonka or whatever they call it when engaged in regular fare avoidance schemes/practices and the word spreads fast.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 26, 2020 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of schools and classes in Sweden are indeed like zoos and have been for years. And these same zoo school occupants who are older a bit have had their schools closed down and are now being expected to follow advice to avoid non-essential travel and engage in social distancing and be good boy s and girls after years of monkeying around? Sounds like a recipe for success, eh?

I wonder how many of those on sick leave are at Swedish ski resorts or hanging around Stockholm or other entertainment destinations in Sweden. Hotels have been marketing “staycations” in Sweden .... perhaps knowing full well that they are marketing hotels across Sweden when doing these marketing campaigns.

Ticket checking on the Swedish ski trains has been disappearing too. And you can bet that teenagers and young adults in Sweden know how to plonka or whatever they call it when engaged in regular fare avoidance schemes/practices and the word spreads fast.
Went to Malmo today - crap - no social distancing, people are lining up without distance. Sketchers and a few shops closed for business, while other reduce their opening hours in Mobilia. Supermarkets were busy as usual but anything that's cheap was gone.

I guess those who rent out train passes will not be that happy when people know they don't need to rent a pass anymore - another thing I don't understand why they allow people to rent out cards like that. You used to be able to buy a monthly pass that's not for a particular person and you pay more per month which is fair enough.

Oh and Forsakingskassan extending no doctor certificate for sick leave from 2 to 3 weeks will make their ski vacation even longer lasting.
bluesaturn likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedChili
A very interesting article from a Norwegian author who claims that one of the reasons why Italy has been hit so hard is the presence of resistant bacteria:

https://www.aftenposten.no/meninger/...k-martiniussen

For those who can't read Norwegian, what he's basically saying is that in Italy, doctors prescribe twice as much antibiotics as in Norway. Also, Italian farmers are some of the worst in Europe in feeding their animals antibiotics. (I found the numbers on a different site: 294.8 mg/kg for Italy, 2.9 mg/kg for Norway. Italian farmers use 102 times more antibiotics than Norwegian farmers. Swedish farmers use 12.1, and Danish farmers 40.8.)

This means that annually, 11,000 people die in Italy from resistent bacteria, while only 69 people die from the same cause in Norway.

And when somebody has a respiratory disease (even the regular flu or cold), they're more often infected with bacteria, and the bacteria destroy the lungs. "According to ECDC, several resistant bacteria are now endemic in Italian hospitals, which means that they more or less have colonized the hospitals permanently."

In summary, what he's bacially saying is that many of the patients that have reportedly died from covid-19 in Italy have actually died from restistant bacteria that have entered their bodies after being admitted to hospitals. When the hospitals admit the covid-19 patients and put them on respirators, they're infected with resistant bacteria that will kill them.

If true, this would provide a lot of hope that Norway will face a very different outcome from covid-19 compared to Italy, while Sweden may be a bit harder hit, and Denmark slightly more than Sweden again.
I only had time to get back to this one now, but that is a very interesting read. It can make me worried for fatality rates in the US as well, though I don't know the level of multi resistant bacteria, I do know they have a massive over consumption of antibiotics.

Thanks for posting.
SK2751 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I only had time to get back to this one now, but that is a very interesting read. It can make me worried for fatality rates in the US as well, though I don't know the level of multi resistant bacteria, I do know they have a massive over consumption of antibiotics.

Thanks for posting.
It will be American obesity and other chronic problems arising from heavy consumption of the proverbial white poisons that will be more of a factor in American deaths than pathogens allegedly being more drug-resistant (because of American levels of antibiotic use instead of Swedish levels of antibiotics use) in the US than in Sweden.

Don’t be surprised if the Swedish death count from this is much higher by this time next week than Chicago metro area’s death count. And that’s even as Chicago area people tend to still be more obese than people in Sweden, and even as Chicago first got exposed to this virus probably no later and no lighter than Stockholm initially.
nacho likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It will be American obesity and other chronic problems arising from heavy consumption of the proverbial white poisons that will be more of a factor in American deaths than pathogens allegedly being more drug-resistant (because of American levels of antibiotic use instead of Swedish levels of antibiotics use) in the US than in Sweden.

Don’t be surprised if the Swedish death count from this is much higher by this time next week than Chicago metro area’s death count. And that’s even as Chicago area people tend to still be more obese than people in Sweden, and even as Chicago first got exposed to this virus probably no later and no lighter than Stockholm initially.
There are indeed many other health reasons in the US that will add to the fatality rate. This was just a new one to add for me, I had not thought of that.

Cook County has 18 fatalities so far, so Sweden has already surpassed them.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though with Cook County being announced a potential new hot spot in the US, that may flip again..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.