Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity Sightings on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:02 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by livious
Reviving an old thread, but figured it belonged here. One of the Scandinavian royals was on SK610 last night with an entourage, likely coming back from Davos. The entourage had VIP service to the plane and tried to board late, which failed as boarding was not complete and a few of us were still in the jet bridge. Rumor has it that it was a few members of the Norwegian royalty, but I honestly cannot say despite standing next to them for a few minutes.

I found it very un-Scandinavian that flight crew had to start every announcement with "Your highnesses, ladies and gentlemen...". I get the first time, but near the end it felt like the crew was making announcements just for the sake that the could address royalty. In the end they made it into more of a spectacle than an honor. People were using the forward lav just to take a look at them and quite a few photos were taken when they stood up to deplane.
Do they still use the white gloves?

Originally Posted by ksu
Crown Prince Haakon BGO-OSL. You could see the flight would be a Royal flight, as the flight attendants were wearing white gloves. Is that usual across the SK system for all royalty? What about presidents?

Last edited by ksu; Jan 22, 2017 at 7:17 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:22 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Crown Prince Haakon and spouse

Originally Posted by livious
One of the Scandinavian royals was on SK610 last night with an entourage, likely coming back from Davos. The entourage had VIP service to the plane and tried to board late, which failed as boarding was not complete and a few of us were still in the jet bridge. Rumor has it that it was a few members of the Norwegian royalty, but I honestly cannot say despite standing next to them for a few minutes.

I found it very un-Scandinavian that flight crew had to start every announcement with "Your highnesses, ladies and gentlemen...".
It probably were the Norwegian Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit. They were in Davos, and you weren't the only one not recognizing them. A Turkish (?) journalist taking illustration photos described Crown Prince Haakon just as "a man" in a photo distributed through the agencies, a fact causing some merriment in the Norwegian press.

http://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/kjen...davos/66705694

Proper in-flight announcement etiquette wouldn't be "Your Highnesses", though. It would be "Your Royal Highnesses". It doesn't feel un-Scandinavian at all, though. The Scandinavian countries have always been monarchies, so this is the way it always has been for us.
VRFast likes this.

Last edited by ksu; Jan 22, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Twenty four off topic posts gave been moved to the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...orum-kafe.html thread.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Well, that was effective...did not see the question in the clutter

Originally Posted by ksu
Do they still use the white gloves?
I did not see any white gloves, unless they removed them before working the rest of the cabin. It is quite silly if they royals are treated this way, although my guess is that they could care less.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 5:51 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Reviving this old thread as I just sat across from her highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden on SK1420 from Copenhagen to Stockholm.

I was sat in 1F while she and her entourage were sat in 1A through 1D. The person sat in 1C looked like she could be a member as well, but I could not identify her. There was a woman naval officer travelling with them as well. I am unaccustomed with Scandinavian royal protocols, so I am unaware if this is normal. I did, however notice the very obvious (empty) holster the gentleman in 1D was wearing.

I suppose they were returning from the 18th birthday dinner of Prince Christian of Denmark.

And I was wondering why 1A was already reserved, even though I booked so far in advance. :P
SanDiego1K and remymartin like this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:53 am

Don't know what they say when Swedish royalty is on, but I like how they always announce with "welcome onboard, your royal highness(es), ladies and gentlemen..." (at least with Norwegian royalty). The times I've share flights with the royal family, they seem to have booked out the first rows, unless of course flights just haven't been full and they've given them the space upfront.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:31 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
The announcements did always include a specific address in the form of "Your Highness".

As far as I could tell the flight was very full, with only approx 5 seats remaining empty in Go and 2 in Plus.
1E was empty until a couple of hours before the flight, but ended up occupied.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Reviving this old thread as I just sat across from her highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden on SK1420 from Copenhagen to Stockholm.

I was sat in 1F while she and her entourage were sat in 1A through 1D. The person sat in 1C looked like she could be a member as well, but I could not identify her. There was a woman naval officer travelling with them as well. I am unaccustomed with Scandinavian royal protocols, so I am unaware if this is normal. I did, however notice the very obvious (empty) holster the gentleman in 1D was wearing.

I suppose they were returning from the 18th birthday dinner of Prince Christian of Denmark.

And I was wondering why 1A was already reserved, even though I booked so far in advance. :P
Check out Svenska Dam or something like that to get to know who was in 1C.

She also had accompanying security in DC back when she was around for a seasonal work stay stint for the Swedish embassy 24 years ago. She preferred NYC, like her sister later would too. Both were running around with SAS Gold bag tags for a while.

1A-1C are taken like this, as they don’t really push for comfort over security in taking those seats.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
My brother is scheduled for Friday's SFO-CPH, just when the winds are high in Denmark. 👀
Old Oct 19, 2023, 4:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vanillabean
My brother is scheduled for Friday's SFO-CPH, just when the winds are high in Denmark. 👀
So CPH celebrity sighting on Saturday afternoon? . Flying in the first row also minimizes the chances of being hit upfor selfies, autographs or hand shakes by as many people. But that’s for flights when boarding and disembarking is done from the door closest to the first row.

The winds around CPH have been pretty hard all week ever since I got back this week. Fortunately, they haven’t yet been high enough speeds to cut the train traffic across the bridge this month.
vanillabean and Leon01 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.