Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EuroBonus to merge into FlyingBlue? [Unconfirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EuroBonus to merge into FlyingBlue? [Unconfirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes lounge is contracted on most of their destinations.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes lounge is contracted on most of their destinations.
They have not, to your knowledge, gone down in the number of lounge offerings?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Matin

I believe it would be a devaluation for Diamond members to be matched with Platinum and lose two key benefits of Free Drinks and Lounge on Arrival. However, earning Gold/Platinum is much easier in FB compared to LH/AY and currently EuroBonus.

At the moment FB Gold needs 180XP and European routes in Economy regardless of fare earn 5XP which if one mostly flies economy intra-europe would need 36 segments to qualify compared to EB’s 45 segments. If flying mostly domestically, as it could be the case for a lot of EB elites flying mostly intra Norway-Sweden, then they would only earn 2XP per segment in economy which would need much much more segments to qualify for Gold!

After further investigation, I have to correct my previous statements as it turns-out earning FB Gold, from scratch with zero XPs in the account, is not easy at all!

I was under the impression that,

36 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 180XP (FB Gold)

However, I have found out that with each tier earned via XPs, your qualification counter zeros out and you have to earn the needed XPs for the following tier,

20 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 100XP (FB Silver)

+

+

60 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 300XP (FB Platinum)

To further clarify, If I were to be given FB Platinum given in-exchange of EB Diamond after EB closure, as I do not have any XPs in FlyingBlue, I would need to accrue staggering 580XPs/(116 intra-Europe basic economy segments) to re-qualify for Platinum!?

Ofc you can reduce your flown legs by flying business/long-haul+XPs via credit-cards.

Unless I’m off somewhere in my calculations, FlyingBlue is the least attractive and most expensive program and I would definitely NOT chase any status since the benefits are ridiculously out of touch with the amount of effort one has to put into achieving the status!

For example,

Priority Boarding: Zone 1 is reserved for FB Gold/Plat only when travelling Business! Otherwise they’re Zone 2.

Seat selection: Only FB Plat has free opportunity for all seat types. FB Gold only 72h prior to departure!

No free WiFi!

No published Lounge on Arrival.

Only one free checked luggage!

And the list goes on….

And I thought AY+ is out of touch

Last edited by Matin; Nov 10, 2023 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:06 am

👍
One has of course to qualify for silver first, I totally forgot about that... 280 XP for Gold in one year.
56 European flights in Y (- domestic)
To requalify to Gold it is 180XP and 36 European flights in Y.

One other thing is that there is a lot of issues with preferred seating for elites companions on same PNR flying Y.

​​​​​​

​​​
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:06 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
After further investigation, I have to correct my previous statements as it turns-out earning FB Gold, from scratch with zero XPs in the account, is not easy at all!

However, I have found out that with each tier earned via XPs, your qualification counter zeros out and you have to earn the needed XPs for the following tier,

+

+

To further clarify, If I were to be given FB Platinum given in-exchange of EB Diamond after EB closure, as I do not have any XPs in FlyingBlue, I would need to accrue staggering 580XPs/(116 intra-Europe basic economy segments) to re-qualify for Platinum!

Ofc you can reduce your flown legs by flying business/long-haul+XPs via credit-cards.

Unless I’m off somewhere in my calculations, FlyingBlue is the least attractive and most expensive program and I would definitely NOT chase any status since the benefits are ridiculously out of touch with the amount of effort one has to put into achieving the status!

For example,

Priority Boarding: Zone 1 is reserved for FB Gold/Plat only when travelling Business! Otherwise they’re Zone 2.

Seat selection: Only FB Plat has free opportunity for all seat types. FB Gold only 72h prior to departure!

No free WiFi!

And the list goes on….

This was how I read the Flying Blue website. It's why I am hoping that they credit years as a SK EBD member towards FB Lifetime Platinum. It's too heavy of a lift to get Platinum for relatively paltry rewards. It would be a grand gesture, but I would guess that SAS neither has the leverage or interest to push for this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)

+

+

To further clarify, If I were to be given FB Platinum given in-exchange of EB Diamond after EB closure, as I do not have any XPs in FlyingBlue, I would need to accrue staggering 580XPs/(116 intra-Europe basic economy segments) to re-qualify for Platinum!

For example,

No free WiFi!

And the list goes on….

Being Platinum for Life on FB and EB Diamond I can confirm that SK statuses are much more easier to achieve, especially when you start from scratch. Plus, FB will introduce restrictions to XP rollover for platinum members in 2024.

I don't know if they will do the same partnership with Amex in Scandinavia that they have in France but the Amex AF platinum earns 60 XP each year.

My guess at this point is that FB and EB won't merge because it would be too painful for EB members. But both programs will use the same currency for award tickets, a bit like QR, AY, IB having their own program but using avios. After all what matters for FB is to sell miles to EB, status management is not what's key.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
This was how I read the Flying Blue website. It's why I am hoping that they credit years as a SK EBD member towards FB Lifetime Platinum. It's too heavy of a lift to get Platinum for relatively paltry rewards. It would be a grand gesture, but I would guess that SAS neither has the leverage or interest to push for this.
Reality is if AFKLM were to demolish EB in favour of FB, it means they do not have any respect for members of EB and they see the programme as a burden/liability to get rid!
In that case, thinking of them courting us to FB is wishful thinking
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by bduperrin
My guess at this point is that FB and EB won't merge because it would be too painful for EB members. But both programs will use the same currency for award tickets, a bit like QR, AY, IB having their own program but using avios. After all what matters for FB is to sell miles to EB, status management is not what's key.
Fingers crossed!
Otherwise, I’m already thinking of A3 Gold or BA Silver to move to down the line considering both are costing the same as EB Gold from where I’m standing(Helsinki).
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)
Fingers crossed!
Otherwise, I’m already thinking of A3 Gold or BA Silver to move to down the line considering both are costing the same as EB Gold from where I’m standing(Helsinki).
I'm looking for a "nice" *A program but at this point none is as "sympathic" as EB and since I'm already platinum for life with AF I have no interest in the merger.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Stil
280 XP for Gold in one year.​​​
You don't have to do it within a single year. The counter resets when you hit Silver.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Your interpretation is (partially) incorrect. What you got right is that if you start at zero, you first need to earn XP for Silver, and then separately XP for Gold from the scratch, so it's harder to earn status at first. However, once you are Gold, you don't need to requalify for Silver again, you only need to requalify for Gold. In other words, when you reach Gold, your counter will reset and you have one year to either earn 180 XP (in which case your Gold will be extended by one more year at the end of that period), or 300 XP to upgade to Platinum.

Thus, if your EB Diamond will be matched to FB Platinum, you will only need 300 XP to renew it every year, not 580 XP. As a Platinum member you don't need to requalify for Silver or Gold.
Tomas E likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:23 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Being Platinum for Life on FB and EB Diamond I can confirm that SK statuses are much more easier to achieve, especially when you start from scratch.
This really depends on one's flying patterns. When I was based in Scandinavia, EBG was easy indeed easy to reach via segments. But if you rely on partner airlines a lot, it's a whole different story. This year I have around 60 segments on *A and I won't even have enough points for Silver (although I will soft land to it) because LH Group credits almost nothing (and OS often the actual nothing) on many fares, even quite expensive ones. It's a joke really.

On the other hand, over at Flying Blue, I get XP for every flight, and since the earnings are fixed per class of service (not a booking class), I can effectively qualify via segments taken on any alliance carrier. Yes, initially I'll need 56 segments - which I can spread into two years - but then I only need 36 to requalify, and I am able to earn them on any SkyTeam flight anywhere in the world, not just on one effectively regional airline with erratic schedules and frequencies like "3 times a week" to major European cities.

Of course for someone who flies longhaul regularly, it's a completely different story.
​​​​​​
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by the810
Your interpretation is (partially) incorrect. What you got right is that if you start at zero, you first need to earn XP for Silver, and then separately XP for Gold from the scratch, so it's harder to earn status at first. However, once you are Gold, you don't need to requalify for Silver again, you only need to requalify for Gold. In other words, when you reach Gold, your counter will reset and you have one year to either earn 180 XP (in which case your Gold will be extended by one more year at the end of that period), or 300 XP to upgade to Platinum.

Thus, if your EB Diamond will be matched to FB Platinum, you will only need 300 XP to renew it every year, not 580 XP. As a Platinum member you don't need to requalify for Silver or Gold.
Yes! I did emphasise there “from scratch” for my interpretation.

However, if having each tier is making you liable to qualify for that tier only, regardless of your past XP accrual, then it’s easier to stomach requirements,

EB Gold is given FB Gold which would only need 180XP to re-qualify, although the person has not earned any previous XPs.

If above is correct, then EB Diamond would have one year FB Platinum that would soft-land to FB Gold which needs 180XP within a year to be kept onwards. Considering there’s not much difference between Platinum and Gold then Gold re-qualification is more tolerable.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 4:56 am

Yes! I did emphasise there “from scratch” for my interpretation.

However, if having each tier is making you liable to qualify for that tier only, regardless of your past XP accrual, then it’s easier to stomach requirements,

EB Gold is given FB Gold which would only need 180XP to re-qualify, although the person has not earned any previous XPs.

If above is correct, then EB Diamond would have one year FB Platinum that would soft-land to FB Gold which needs 180XP within a year to be kept onwards. Considering there’s not much difference between Platinum and Gold then Gold re-qualification is more tolerable.
The only issue with that is that only Platinum can be lifetime...not gold. And I can tell you that not having to requalify is really a relief. It will become harder with the rollover restrictions but it's nice once you make it.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 5:03 am

The only issue with that is that only Platinum can be lifetime...not gold. And I can tell you that not having to requalify is really a relief. It will become harder with the rollover restrictions but it's nice once you make it.
Lifetime Platinum is an incentive, only if EB’s LTG progress transferred to FB. If I lose 5 years of LTG progress and get a FB status with zero lifetime counter, then I wouldn’t bother really!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.