FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EuroBonus to merge into FlyingBlue? [Unconfirmed]
Old Nov 10, 2023, 3:14 am
bduperrin

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)
Originally Posted by Matin
After further investigation, I have to correct my previous statements as it turns-out earning FB Gold, from scratch with zero XPs in the account, is not easy at all!

I was under the impression that,

36 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 180XP (FB Gold)

However, I have found out that with each tier earned via XPs, your qualification counter zeros out and you have to earn the needed XPs for the following tier,

20 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 100XP (FB Silver)

+

36 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 180XP (FB Gold)

+

60 (intra-Europe basic economy) x 5XP= 300XP (FB Platinum)

To further clarify, If I were to be given FB Platinum given in-exchange of EB Diamond after EB closure, as I do not have any XPs in FlyingBlue, I would need to accrue staggering 580XPs/(116 intra-Europe basic economy segments) to re-qualify for Platinum!

Ofc you can reduce your flown legs by flying business/long-haul+XPs via credit-cards.

Unless I’m off somewhere in my calculations, FlyingBlue is the least attractive and most expensive program and I would definitely NOT chase any status since the benefits are ridiculously out of touch with the amount of effort one has to put into achieving the status!

For example,

Priority Boarding: Zone 1 is reserved for FB Gold/Plat only when travelling Business! Otherwise they’re Zone 2.

Seat selection: Only FB Plat has free opportunity for all seat types. FB Gold only 72h prior to departure!

No free WiFi!

No published Lounge on Arrival.

Only one free checked luggage!

And the list goes on….

And I thought AY+ is out of touch
Being Platinum for Life on FB and EB Diamond I can confirm that SK statuses are much more easier to achieve, especially when you start from scratch. Plus, FB will introduce restrictions to XP rollover for platinum members in 2024.

I don't know if they will do the same partnership with Amex in Scandinavia that they have in France but the Amex AF platinum earns 60 XP each year.

My guess at this point is that FB and EB won't merge because it would be too painful for EB members. But both programs will use the same currency for award tickets, a bit like QR, AY, IB having their own program but using avios. After all what matters for FB is to sell miles to EB, status management is not what's key.