Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

EuroBonus to merge into FlyingBlue? [Unconfirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2023, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various

Norwegian newspapers report that once(if) AFKLM gets a controlling interest in SAS the intention is to merge Eurobonus and Flying Blue.

https://dinside.dagbladet.no/reise/dette-skjer/80471240
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Norwegian newspapers report that once(if) AFKLM gets a controlling interest in SAS the intention is to merge Eurobonus and Flying Blue.

https://dinside.dagbladet.no/reise/dette-skjer/80471240
Merger of EB into FlyingBlue has also been undersigned in the recent investment contract.

AFKLM has to own more than 50% of shares which would happen sometime in 2025 at the earliest considering all the hurdles ahead of SAS such as bankruptcy procedures, regulatory approvals, etc.

I believe it would be a devaluation for Diamond members to be matched with Platinum and lose two key benefits of Free Drinks and Lounge on Arrival. However, earning Gold/Platinum is much easier in FB compared to LH/AY and currently EuroBonus.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Also, FB is jealous of how the US airlines can generate a lot of revenue selling miles to credit card companies and is relatively aggressive in selling miles for non-flight activities- the Accor-Flying Blue partnership is tight and redeeming Accor points for Flying Blue miles is actually not a hideous exchange rate- so you can often earn more miles in FB not flying than flying.

And while eventually there will be devaluations, at least for now, you can often find good value in the FB award chart, especially with their promo awards.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Matin
I believe it would be a devaluation for Diamond members to be matched with Platinum and lose two key benefits of Free Drinks and Lounge on Arrival. However, earning Gold/Platinum is much easier in FB compared to LH/AY and currently EuroBonus.
So I guess there is no point for people to keep trying for EB Lifetime Gold since the EB programme is on life support?

In a dream scenario, they would allow those of us who have been EBD consecutively for a decade or more to become Lifetime Platnium members in Flying Blue (since that would be the equivalent status). However, I know that will never happen. But it's nice to dream 🙃
Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:17 am

Platinum for Life sounds nice but it's useless.Just like my status EBD,the only good thing about is it the free rebooking on an earlier or later flight.

Flying Blue is a weak programme,i've been Gold and Platinum at FB,there was no difference.Even some high rollers here on FT that are FB Ultimates say so and some of them have actually shifted their business towards the LHG and become a Hon Circle member.

I certainly won't be jumpin' for joy if and when my EBD Status will be matched to FB Platinum.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
So I guess there is no point for people to keep trying for EB Lifetime Gold since the EB programme is on life support?

In a dream scenario, they would allow those of us who have been EBD consecutively for a decade or more to become Lifetime Platnium members in Flying Blue (since that would be the equivalent status). However, I know that will never happen. But it's nice to dream 🙃
It all depends on AFKLM approach towards EB elites! If they want to keep the customers then they should give Platinum for life to those LTG members and count the years for those on their way to Gold for Platinum.

Personally I’m already regretting planning some mileage runs to keep my Diamond for another year since the prospect of being given FB Platinum instead of Diamond with Zero additional benefits compared to Gold is depressing.

The only silver lining out of all this is to have the merger in 2025 and also being offered status match opportunities by BA or A3 to have a chance at a relatively valuable status somewhere else.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:04 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Having looked into the FlyingBlue program recently, I really don't see how this will end well for us EuroBonus members.

Matching the program in the most obvious way (EB Member -> FB Explorer; EB Silver -> FB Silver; EB Gold -> FB Gold; EB Diamond -> FB Platinum; EB Pandion -> FB Ultimate), would result in a huge downgrade of benefits for EuroBonus members, especially status holders. In my humble opinion, current EuroBonus Gold is closer to FB Platinum than FB Gold in terms of quality of benefits and achieve-ability. Furthermore, losing all of the EB-specific benefits would be a huge loss.

While it does seem like pretty bleak prospects, we do not have any details of the transition yet, so not all hope is lost. The agreement, as far as I understand it, does only call for the preparation of the merger once AF-KLM has become a controlling party.

SAS did make it pretty clear that they intend to take care of their own Elites (I can't really see how they would manage that, unless they match EB Gold -> Platinum and EB Diamond -> Ultimate and somehow manage to keep some of the EuroBonus internal benefits, including matching Lifetime Gold to Flying Blue Platinum for life).
I fear we shall see a repeat of the situation of when KLMs program was merged into FlyingBlue or when SWISS Travelclub was merged into Miles and More. Perhaps we could also see a repeat of the situation of SWISS in 2004, where they were supposed to join OneWorld and merge their program into BA Executive Club, a move which ultimately got cancelled due to SWISS thinking the relationship was one-sided (only to be then bought by LHG...). While SAS might want to retain value and benefits for their elites, I fear the corporate overlords will have the last say in this matter, especially if EB ceases to exists.

Last edited by Nick Art; Nov 8, 2023 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:14 am

One thing EB/G/D/P flying SK has to consider are the fact that AF/KL-FB offers lounges at outstations for elites and fast track a lot of places for their own elites flying Y.
If SK will have to align, it's not all bad.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Having looked into the FlyingBlue program recently, I really don't see how this will end well for us EuroBonus members.

Matching the program in the most obvious way (EB Member -> FB Explorer; EB Silver -> FB Silver; EB Gold -> FB Gold; EB Diamond -> FB Platinum; EB Pandion -> FB Ultimate), would result in a huge downgrade of benefits for EuroBonus members, especially status holders. In my humble opinion, current EuroBonus Gold is closer to FB Platinum than FB Gold in terms of quality of benefits and achieve-ability. Furthermore, losing all of the EB-specific benefits would be a huge loss.

While it does seem like pretty bleak prospects, but as we do not have any details of the transition yet and not all hope is lost.
SAS did make it pretty clear that they intend to take care of their own Elites (I can't really see how they would manage that, unless they match EB Gold -> Platinum and EB Diamond -> Ultimate and somehow manage to keep some of the EuroBonus internal benefits, including matching Lifetime Gold to Flying Blue Platinum for life).
I fear we shall see a repeat of the situation of when KLMs program was merged into FlyingBlue or when SWISS Travelclub was merged into Miles and More. Perhaps we could also see a repeat of the situation of SWISS in 2004, where they were supposed to join OneWorld and merge their program into BA Executive Club, a move which ultimately got cancelled due to Swiss thinking the relationship was one-sided (only to be then bought by LHG...).
Based on an excerpt from the filed court documents, AFKLM is considering the merger when they’re in charge (50%+ in shares),

Considering SAS AB delisting and loss of tens of thousands of shareholders in the process, I wouldn’t be surprised for EB elites to lose out as well!

There’s an upcoming Diamond event in Oslo on 14th of this month with Anko&co, have to see how they’re going to spin these legitimate fears EB elites have!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: SAS EBG
However, earning Gold/Platinum is much easier in FB compared to LH/AY and currently EuroBonus.
I wonder about this. My biggest fear with EB merged into FB is the transition to revenue based status point earning, which seems to be popular with the SkyTeam airlines...
I am currently able to hold on to EB Gold status by cheap SAS Plus fares and discounted SAS Business fares.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:36 am

Based on an excerpt from the filed court documents, AFKLM is considering the merger when they’re in charge (50%+ in shares),

Considering SAS AB delisting and loss of tens of thousands of shareholders in the process, I wouldn’t be surprised for EB elites to lose out as well!

There’s an upcoming Diamond event in Oslo on 14th of this month with Anko&co, have to see how they’re going to spin these legitimate fears EB elites have!
Anko is a nice bloke but what more can he do than talk like a politician and say everything will be fine..

We all know that won't be the case.
Time to burn the miles quickly!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
…I believe it would be a devaluation for Diamond members to be matched with Platinum and lose two key benefits of Free Drinks and Lounge on Arrival.
Lounge access on arrival is a benefit for FB plats in AMS.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by malloc
I wonder about this. My biggest fear with EB merged into FB is the transition to revenue based status point earning, which seems to be popular with the SkyTeam airlines...
I am currently able to hold on to EB Gold status by cheap SAS Plus fares and discounted SAS Business fares.
At the moment FB Gold needs 180XP and European routes in Economy regardless of fare earn 5XP which if one mostly flies economy intra-europe would need 36 segments to qualify compared to EB’s 45 segments. If flying mostly domestically, as it could be the case for a lot of EB elites flying mostly intra Norway-Sweden, then they would only earn 2XP per segment in economy which would need much much more segments to qualify for Gold!
Old Nov 8, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Arpoador
Lounge access on arrival is a benefit for FB plats in AMS.
That would be really good if that’s the case… however, I have seen on different pages emphasis on “departure”

Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by malloc
Two TATL rt. flights in J with a connection in CDG/AMS will earn one FB Gold (180XP).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.