Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

FCO-CPH-ORD-LAX - is 1:50 enough time to transfer in ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCO-CPH-ORD-LAX - is 1:50 enough time to transfer in ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Biz class the whole way through to SMF

Originally Posted by arollins
@kymbakitty, UA 572, ORD-SMF, 8:55PM departure, 11:30PM arrival is certainly doable. Strongly suggest if you can change ticket to this, or as mentioned before CPH-LAX.
Are your UA domestic transfer in BUS as well or economy? Reason I ask is that if UA needs to accommodate on a later flight, BUS seats might not be available and you'll have to fly economy, and the seat selections might not be desirable.
We are Biz Class the entire way (actually end in SMF once we board United #5241 from LAX). But I know the "Biz" class on United #1641 and United #5241 is not anything special.

So if we do have to fly economy, we'll just be thrilled to make it home after midnight since flying from Rome earlier that morning.

We can't change our ticket at this point so I will just have to see how this all plays out.

Thank you all for really great information. I need to find out about lounge access at SFO for SAS. This is really the only place we'll have time to enjoy a lounge. I have read conflicting information - some say Terminal #3 and some say IN Terminal. There is probably a sticky on lounges throughout.

Dawn
Old Sep 27, 2023, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even with GE, I’ve missed multiple connections at ORD this quarter when flying CPH-ORD-onward. More misses when having checked luggage to claim at ORD than when traveling without checked-in luggage on this SK flight. Sometimes the passport control area is a zoo when coming off this flight, sometimes the baggage claim and baggage claim area is a zoo when coming off this flight, and sometimes it’s a zoo across the board until getting to T1/2/3. But a majority of c. 2 hour connections off this flight have been working out for me and others whose travels are handled by us this year when moving fast.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I need to find out about lounge access at SFO for SAS. This is really the only place we'll have time to enjoy a lounge. I have read conflicting information - some say Terminal #3 and some say IN Terminal. There is probably a sticky on lounges throughout.
I'm assuming SFO is your outbound? So, SMF-SFO-CPH? As an SAS Business pax, you have a couple of options. All are connected airside, post-security.
  • United Polaris Lounge (Right after International G Gate security)
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge (Terminal 2 D Gates)
  • United Club (multiple locations in Terminal 3 E & F Gates and International G)
The Polaris Lounge is probably the best (and most convenient), but they have major wear and tear and deferred maintenance issues. The AC MLL has an outdoor deck and is the newest (and smallest?), but it's a bit of a walk (10-15 min?) from the G Gates. If you have a long connection from SMF, it might be worth a look, but it's probably not necessary otherwise.

On your return, if you do get stranded in ORD or LAX and have a longer layover (or overnight), you won't have lounge access without *G. (Maybe access to the LAX MLL or *A Lounge with a domestic UA F ticket, but I'm not sure.)

We are Biz Class the entire way (actually end in SMF once we board United #5241 from LAX). But I know the "Biz" class on United #1641 and United #5241 is not anything special.
Well, the seat will be much better than the intra-Europe segments you might have
Old Oct 3, 2023, 4:40 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I don't recall that the SFO Int Polaris lounge has major wear and tear issues post renovation. It looks really good these days, great food, by far your better choice vs the others listed. The LAX *A lounge is great as well.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I will never book any connection under 2 hours arriving from international destinations to the US. Maybe if you are an US citizen you can get through faster. You are protected and UA is obligated to rebook you. However, having to get to an UA counter and get them to rebook you is a hassle, going to a hotel is also a hassle as you need to take all your bags out (that was the case at LAX when our AA flight went MX).

Make sure you have the connections to SMF handy when you approach an UA counter because you can get them to re-route you so that you don't have to change at LAX (unless you want to).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.