Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

FCO-CPH-ORD-LAX - is 1:50 enough time to transfer in ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott

I have never flown SAS before and I am a bit leery of our layover times. Normally I would be thrilled to have such short layovers, but I would love to get some seasoned traveler's input.

We depart FCO (11:20 am) to CPH (1:55 pm), then from CPH (3:40 pm) to ORD (5:45 pm). Here is the issue--we only have 1:50 minute layover in ORD before our connecting flight out of ORD @ 7:35 pm. We do not have Clear or TSA. My agent is telling me not to worry, but I am pretty sure we'll have to collect our luggage and go through security again and I have been to Chicago before and it's a zoo.

Can anyone shed any light on if there is even a remote possibility that we can make this connecting flight to LAX from ORD with less than 2 hours? I can make a hotel reservation just in case, but I will not be able to get a refund. But maybe it's worth it just to not have to find a hotel on the go if we don't make it. I highly doubt SAS will pay for anything.

Our last leg is LAX to SMF with only a 56 minute layer, which I don't think we'll make that either. But I figured we'd likely not make the CPH to ORD so I wasn't too concerned about the last leg (LAX to SMF).

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Dawn
Old Sep 25, 2023, 4:19 pm

I would say ORD with SAS has been pretty quick recently. CBP typically less than 30 minutes and security about the same as well. Bags typically on the band when through customs. Train between terminals depart with minutes apart and are fast. Like you point out though, it is not a lot of margin for error.

I should say my final destination gas been ORD, but the only difference then would be the check in of luggage. Do you have status at the final leg?
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Final leg?

Yes....when we land in ORD on SAS 943, we then switch to United 1641 @ 7:35 pm, landing in LAX at 10:00 pm. I've been to LAX many times and if we are able to make it to United 5241 departing LAX @ 10:56 pm, I will be SHOCKED!

Thank you.

Dawn
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
1h 50m is very tight entering the US without global entry. In many cases it can be possible, but in many cases you also end up standing in line for 1h or more at the immigration area. I don't know if ORD has short connection counters, some US entry points do. But I would certainly book a longer connection.

56 minutes domestic to domestic is usually not a problem in the US.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I'm ORD flyer, your arrival time coincides with several int'l arrivals from HEL, IST, CUN, BCN, MTY. Lines will be long, are you arriving on Bus or Premium economy to at least be one of the first to get off? If not, it will be a tight connection, hopefully by the time you clear immigration, your luggage is already waiting for you at the carousel, and you just checked it at the UA counter. From there you will take the train shuttle from terminal 5 to terminal 1, and go through security again, Terminal 1 is rather large, by that time security lines are not bad, but certainly not empty. Todays UA1641, I'm presuming you are flying UA as this is the one that fits in your time frame, was delayed y 42 minutes, that might be ideal for you. There's UA 2705 with a 9pm departure that might be more suitable for you. Is this all on one ticket, or separate tickets. SK and UA are Star Alliance partners, so they will try to protect you, but I will at least call and double check on that. Your SMF flight is certainly not possible if you do not make the original schedule. Most likely you will get stuck in LAX over ORD. Any possibility that you do not need to check luggage?

Good luck.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:24 am

It's hard to tell with ORD immigration, sometimes it's a breeze and other times it can be hell on earth for those of us without Global Entry. I arrived into ORD in August on SK but on the earlier flight from ARN and we only spent 20 minutes waiting so I was happy. I have spent 75 minutes before at times.

As long as you are on a single ticket United will re-book you if you miss the connection, but I would rather try to aim for the direct CPH-LAX if that is a possibility. If you are rebooked on a later flight it makes for a looong day of travel.

You can also check online recent statistics, on the 24th of Sept the wait times recorded at T5 at 17-18 were between 23 and 53 minutes for non US citizens. Have a look: https://awt.cbp.gov/

Keep in mind, after you re-check bags after immigration at T5, you need to schlep over to United and get in line for security again at their terminal, which can also eat into your time.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: SKD, *A Gold
A couple of weeks ago I flew Stockholm - ORD on SAS, followed by ORD - Minneapolis on United. Time in ORD for the transfer was 1h 52min. The SAS flight was about 30 mins late. I was in J and virtually first off the plane. But in immigration, the lines were long due to passengers from other flights, and there was no way to shortcut the line for a short connection. I had no checked bags. I transferred terminals and was let in front at security by other kind passengers (priority security at ORD for 1st class is a joke) and made it to the gate for the next flight just before they closed the gate.

As others have pointed out, you have VERY little margin for error with 1h50 for your transfer.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When on 1 ticket there is nothing to worry about; you will be protected/UA will rebook you.

Def. do not prebook any hotel. If you misconnect at ORD and UA can't rebook you same day, you ask UA for a hotel voucher and if denied, then you book a hotel on your own and claim reimbursement from SAS (if SK943 was delayed) or your travel insurance afterwards.

If SK943 is on time there is a good chance that you will make to the gate of UA1641 in time/before the gate closes. But as already stated above it really depends on the lines for US immigration. When you reach the immigration lines try to get the attention of the staff walking around assisting the passengers in the lines to explain that you have a short connection. If you are lucky staff will lead you to the front for expedited immigration clearance.

Good luck! I wouldn't bee too concerned if I was you.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you!

Originally Posted by arollins
I'm ORD flyer, your arrival time coincides with several int'l arrivals from HEL, IST, CUN, BCN, MTY. Lines will be long, are you arriving on Bus or Premium economy to at least be one of the first to get off? If not, it will be a tight connection, hopefully by the time you clear immigration, your luggage is already waiting for you at the carousel, and you just checked it at the UA counter. From there you will take the train shuttle from terminal 5 to terminal 1, and go through security again, Terminal 1 is rather large, by that time security lines are not bad, but certainly not empty. Todays UA1641, I'm presuming you are flying UA as this is the one that fits in your time frame, was delayed y 42 minutes, that might be ideal for you. There's UA 2705 with a 9pm departure that might be more suitable for you. Is this all on one ticket, or separate tickets. SK and UA are Star Alliance partners, so they will try to protect you, but I will at least call and double check on that. Your SMF flight is certainly not possible if you do not make the original schedule. Most likely you will get stuck in LAX over ORD. Any possibility that you do not need to check luggage?

Good luck.
I really appreciate the terminal information! We are flying Biz Class and it's just one ticket with all the connections. I think I'd rather get stuck at LAX than I would ORD because we are almost home at LAX and can easily catch a flight home the next am. And there is no way we can just pack carry on. We will be gone for 15 days.

Thank you again. This is super helpful.

Dawn
Old Sep 26, 2023, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thank you!

Originally Posted by SK AAR
When on 1 ticket there is nothing to worry about; you will be protected/UA will rebook you.

Def. do not prebook any hotel. If you misconnect at ORD and UA can't rebook you same day, you ask UA for a hotel voucher and if denied, then you book a hotel on your own and claim reimbursement from SAS (if SK943 was delayed) or your travel insurance afterwards.

If SK943 is on time there is a good chance that you will make to the gate of UA1641 in time/before the gate closes. But as already stated above it really depends on the lines for US immigration. When you reach the immigration lines try to get the attention of the staff walking around assisting the passengers in the lines to explain that you have a short connection. If you are lucky staff will lead you to the front for expedited immigration clearance.

Good luck! I wouldn't bee too concerned if I was you.
Thank you very much! I appreciate this information! I think I just need to assume we will likely get stuck somewhere along the way and if we don't, we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dawn
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kymbakitty
I really appreciate the terminal information! We are flying Biz Class and it's just one ticket with all the connections. I think I'd rather get stuck at LAX than I would ORD because we are almost home at LAX and can easily catch a flight home the next am. And there is no way we can just pack carry on. We will be gone for 15 days.

Thank you again. This is super helpful.

Dawn
If you miss your UA flight ORD-LAX, UA might be able to re-accommodate you on later ORD-SMF/RNO/SFO nonstops, if they exist and have space.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you miss your UA flight ORD-LAX, UA might be able to re-accommodate you on later ORD-SMF/RNO/SFO nonstops, if they exist and have space.
@kymbakitty, UA 572, ORD-SMF, 8:55PM departure, 11:30PM arrival is certainly doable. Strongly suggest if you can change ticket to this, or as mentioned before CPH-LAX.
Are your UA domestic transfer in BUS as well or economy? Reason I ask is that if UA needs to accommodate on a later flight, BUS seats might not be available and you'll have to fly economy, and the seat selections might not be desirable.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
It's a total crapshoot. Once my connection at ORD took two hours, with no unusual crowding going on. The latest time, PHX-ORD-MUC, my connection was just two United gates away.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 1:27 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I do ORD immigration once a month with Global Entry and TSA Pre for connecting. With Global Entry, immigration is on average less than 5 minutes. If you don't have it, even for 1 flight its worth signing up. Classic immigration at ORD can take anywhere between 10 minutes and 2,5 hours.

There are short connection agents and queues at ORD but they are not reliable and require the airline to organize this for you.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 6:37 am

Keep in mind the need to pick up checked bags. That part may occasionally take longer than expected, further reducing available connection time (unless, of course, you are traveling carry on only). I would not bank on bags being ready by the time you pass immigration (not "customs" - customs is what happens after you pick up the bags).

Personally, even though I have GE, I would prefer at least 3 hours at a US airport on intl-domestic connection. But then, as most above noted, UA will reaccommodate you if you miss the connection, they are quite good about it, normally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.