Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Plus Intercontinental [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Plus Intercontinental [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'd like to see the A340/A330 that fits 3-4-3 or 3-3-3 seating anywhere in the cabin.

The seats in Plus long haul are 2-3-2 as compared to 2-4-2 in Go. Unless of course you were on the unfortunate LN-RPK (ex Lan Chile A340) where there truly is only a bit of extra leg room in Plus. But apart from LN-RPK, the seat is actually one of the better points of long haul Plus.

It is new to me that SK would.charge for anything in Plus. The inflight shopping catalogue has the Go menu as well, but as the duty free shopping catalogue that is why it is placed in Plus. Not exactly logical but there you go. Normally the text is quite clear about this being for Go only.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Anyone know if there's going to be an improved hard product in Plus on the new planes next year?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:50 am

As all seats are swapped out

Go:

Plus:

Business:
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

I went on Plus for CPH-SFO and didn't at all share the same experience as thread starter?

The config was 2-3-2, had an aisle seat in the middle and it was very comfortable.

fassy, I'm going CPH-EWR return in December on Plus or Business - have these new seats already been installed, do you know? They weren't the Plus seats from my CPH-SFO return in May.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by CKCPH
fassy, I'm going CPH-EWR return in December on Plus or Business - have these new seats already been installed, do you know? They weren't the Plus seats from my CPH-SFO return in May.
Unfortunately most probably you won't be able to enjoy a new seat. As far as I know the first birds are due for the D check (which is also the time for the retrofit of the new cabin) early next year.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
LO premium class seems to often have good prices TATL via WAW. Seats are much better than SK. People are usually happy about it. Food is never great on LO, but probably not worse than SK economy food. Unfortunately the choice of destinations is narrow (EWR, ORD and YYZ) and you still earn no EB points in the premium Y classes.

EDIT: I just realized that the R class with LO actually now earns 100% on EB, which is about the only good thing I have noticed in the new earning tables.

Last edited by SK2751; Sep 18, 2014 at 3:06 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by wazow
LO premium class seems to often have good prices TATL via WAW. Seats are much better than SK. People are usually happy about it. Food is never great on LO, but probably not worse than SK economy food. Unfortunately the choice of destinations is narrow (EWR, ORD and YYZ) and you still earn no EB points in the premium Y classes.

EDIT: I just realized that the R class with LO actually now earns 100% on EB, which is about the only good thing I have noticed in the new earning tables.

Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Both AF and BA have a proper Y+ for TATL. They are both very good for day flights, the AF one is horrendous for night flights due to the seat. They are in a separate cabin, with a wider seat and more legroom. The BA seat is comfortable and has a really good recline, with a pitch at 38''. The AF seat has the same pitch, but does not recline at all and is very rigid.
I did consider both BA and AF (along with VS), and the priority services almost got me to fly AF. Once LH & AC PY installations are complete, I might try them.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I'd like to see the A340/A330 that fits 3-4-3 or 3-3-3 seating anywhere in the cabin.

The seats in Plus long haul are 2-3-2 as compared to 2-4-2 in Go.... the seat is actually one of the better points of long haul Plus.
Originally Posted by CKCPH
I went on Plus for CPH-SFO and didn't at all share the same experience as thread starter?

The config was 2-3-2, had an aisle seat in the middle and it was very comfortable.
I was on a regular bird (thankfully) for both TATL segments, so yes, it was 2-3-2. I wasn't impressed with the seat when my rear end started hurting during beverage service. The only thing that made the seat cushion comfortable was the added padding of the blanket. Maybe the other features do make it a comfortable seat, but those seat cushions (and armrests) soured my experience. I think the 738 seats were more comfortable, since I was fine on the 2+ hour legs.

CPH-Flyer, perhaps A340 series aircraft can handle 9 across? IIRC, some LCCs have 2-4-2 on B767s, which I find incredible.

It is new to me that SK would.charge for anything in Plus. The inflight shopping catalogue has the Go menu as well, but as the duty free shopping catalogue that is why it is placed in Plus. Not exactly logical but there you go. Normally the text is quite clear about this being for Go only.
I specifically asked if SAS Plus pax (BP in hand) had to pay for the aforementioned stuff. They told me that drinks (aside from smoothies) were free, but snacks weren't included. Ridiculous. That's one way to lose customers - have them pay a premium and charge them more onboard.

Actually, I think the menu for long-haul flights only mentions the free drinks, whereas the European menu definitely says "All Included."
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
I cannot believe that smoothie is not free in PLUS. It is free in all intra-European and Scandinavian PLUS flights.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tennen

CPH-Flyer, perhaps A340 series aircraft can handle 9 across? IIRC, some LCCs have 2-4-2 on B767s, which I find incredible.

I specifically asked if SAS Plus pax (BP in hand) had to pay for the aforementioned stuff. They told me that drinks (aside from smoothies) were free, but snacks weren't included. Ridiculous. That's one way to lose customers - have them pay a premium and charge them more onboard.

Actually, I think the menu for long-haul flights only mentions the free drinks, whereas the European menu definitely says "All Included."
Looking at the latest menu, it seems you are right there has been a serious cut here. Looking at the web site (ony checked the Danish) snacks between meals are still included. A lack of clarity for sure...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Thanks for providing pics fassy!

The Plus seats actually look very comfy! I might take a connection in CPH with SAS just to try them when they are installed.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
There are some A330/A340 in 3-3-3 configuration, which after row 43 will usually change to 2-3-2.

I know for example that Air Asia X uses this configuration.

At least better than 3-4-3 on a triple 7.

Last edited by fassy; Sep 19, 2014 at 4:27 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Abducted Alien
I cannot believe that smoothie is not free in PLUS. It is free in all intra-European and Scandinavian PLUS flights.
A reason for this may be to increase the value of Plus intra-Europe to EBG/EBD members who already get Fasttrack/Lounge with their status.

I mean, you certainly don't *feel* very Plus-y when you're cramped into 9E in a regular Economy seat with no legroom and people on both sides. Oh, how I wish they'd simply do a Plus-only flight on the 7.45 CPH-LHR and charge a bit more - it's sometimes 20 rows of Plus anyway (all people whose work pay for it, and who would be able to expense the more expensive Plus ticket anyway if Plus was the only option on the 7.45 flight).
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fassy
There are some A330/A340 in 3-3-3 configuration, which after row 43 will usually change to 2-3-2.

I know for example that Air Asia X uses this configuration.

At least better than 3-4-3 on a triple 7.
It does not look better than 3-4-3 on a 777, but I did not do the math. What happened to Airbus' yaki di yak about passenger friendly cabins?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:17 am

In general I would always take x-3-x over x-4-x or x-5-x (could be an option for A380 or 748 as far as I know) since in the worst case only one guy is climbing over you.

Had a couple of flights on LH380 on seat <whatever>D while the pax in <whatever>G was sleeping (or at least pretended to be) the pax in E and F always opted to move out through my side... of course never at the same time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.