Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS and EC261/EU261 Claims [merged Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS and EC261/EU261 Claims [merged Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There are several decisions of the CJEU which you are free to read and research.

Usually, this calculation cuts the passenger's way. By way of example, had your delay into KEF been 4+ hours, you would have been due EUR 600 for a Type 3 flight. You are due EUR 300 because your delay exceeded 3 hours on a Type 3 flight and that 50% of compensation is itself the result of CJEU precedent.

You are free to litigate to upset the precedent, but I suspect that most here are quite happy with the law as it is.
Thanks, but my point is that the definition of a type 2 vs 3 flight for a situation where it is one PNR with two flights, with the second only falling under eu261. You are accepting that it is a type 3 flight, which I dont. Unless its 'journey' or 'trip', vs 'flight' I don't see what the prior QR flight has to do with the situation. I guess i have to read cjeu verdicts.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by s115
Thanks, but my point is that the definition of a type 2 vs 3 flight for a situation where it is one PNR with two flights, with the second only falling under eu261. You are accepting that it is a type 3 flight, which I dont. Unless its 'journey' or 'trip', vs 'flight' I don't see what the prior QR flight has to do with the situation. I guess i have to read cjeu verdicts.
Your departure was DOH and the final destination was KEF — courts look at the entire PNR when calculating the distance and compensation and there are opinions clarifying the final destination issue.

As for meals I got a voucher for Eur 20 for dinner at FRA as a reference.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: More than one
Why should there be any difference whether it's the first or last leg which causes the delay. You are booking a trip from a to b, with an airline change in the middle. Off course the delay should be calculated based on the whole trip and not just the leg which caused the delay.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:51 pm

It was a Qatar airways PNR. DOH > CPH on Qatar, CPH > KEF on SAS.
Qatar Airways isn't an EU airline so EU 261 wouldn't seem to cover that leg, so aren't you supposed to use the CPH-KEF distance instead of the DOH-KEF distance?

For a trip from outside the EEA to the EEA on non-EEA carrier, isn't the starting point the first EU layover airport?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
Qatar Airways isn't an EU airline so EU 261 wouldn't seem to cover that leg, so aren't you supposed to use the CPH-KEF distance instead of the DOH-KEF distance?

For a trip from outside the EEA to the EEA on non-EEA carrier, isn't the starting point the first EU layover airport?
What with the situation where you fly from a to d on one PNR with flight changes at b and c. The leg b to c is just 1 hour and you have a 6 hour layover in c. By coincident the flight b to c gets canceled and you are rebooked on another flight which will bring you to c with a 5 hour delay, which means you will still be able to catch your last flight and arrive at your final destination on time. Do you think it would be fair to claim compensation for the delay on the b to c leg?

This is not a theoretic example. It happened to me a couple of years ago, and no I didn't bother claiming compensation.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
What with the situation where you fly from a to d on one PNR with flight changes at b and c. The leg b to c is just 1 hour and you have a 6 hour layover in c. By coincident the flight b to c gets canceled and you are rebooked on another flight which will bring you to c with a 5 hour delay, which means you will still be able to catch your last flight and arrive at your final destination on time. Do you think it would be fair to claim compensation for the delay on the b to c leg?

This is not a theoretic example. It happened to me a couple of years ago, and no I didn't bother claiming compensation.
Please explain how your example is irrelevant to @Some persons post specifically. I agreed with what @Some persons is saying and can't find anywhere, least of all in this thread where someone has pointed to anything different, except some vague - go and read EUCJ rulings.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Funnily enough, doing some research, in fact this is not a delay situation - its a cancellation situation! Second last one.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...judgements.pdf

Flight that returns to the airport of departure The concept of "cancellation" also covers the case in which the aircraft took off but, for whatever reason, was subsequently forced to return to the airport of departure where the passengers of the said aircraft were transferred to other flights. Case C-83/10 (Sousa Rodríguez): CURIA - Documents 0&doclang=EN&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=12 2758

Article 5
(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

Therefore, 400 EUR is due and the original Qatar Airways flight is completely irrelevant to this situation.
(b) EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres;
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:20 am

As far as I understand it, it is only a cancellation if the flight which returned back to the gate was subsequently canceled. If the same flight (i.e. the flight number) in a new or repaired plane took place, it is not a cancellation. so, when they finally departed, what was the flight number? The same as before or a new one?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
Funnily enough, doing some research, in fact this is not a delay situation - its a cancellation situation! Second last one.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites...judgements.pdf

Flight that returns to the airport of departure The concept of "cancellation" also covers the case in which the aircraft took off but, for whatever reason, was subsequently forced to return to the airport of departure where the passengers of the said aircraft were transferred to other flights. Case C-83/10 (Sousa Rodríguez): CURIA - Documents 0&doclang=EN&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=12 2758
Bolded the important words... As Fassy has said: was it the same flight (same flight number) or a different one? It seems that you did not get a new boarding pass? That would indicate same flight, so no cancellation.

You are arguing with the wrong people here. We do not influence SAS' compensation decision. If you think that SAS is in the wrong, decline the compensation and get a lawyer involved.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

If you read the full decision, it covers my exact situation. Yes, we turned back and were 'canceled'. We were reassigned a new plane, same flight number, but its irrelevant. That only stops us getting a full refund.
I'm not arguing with anyone, I thought you all may find this extremely interesting as it probably happens occasionally.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:52 am

Please explain how your example is irrelevant to @Some persons post specifically. I agreed with what @Some persons is saying and can't find anywhere, least of all in this thread where someone has pointed to anything different, except some vague - go and read EUCJ rulings.
It's relevant in the context that it shows why you shouldn't be compensated for individual leg on a trip, but for the whole delay for the whole trip. Anyone who believe I should have been compensated in my example is out of their mind.
Nick Art likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:04 am
Original Poster

It's completely irrelevant as it's a completely separate situation - with the first carrier being non eu, from a non eu airport.

Last edited by s115; Sep 23, 2018 at 3:55 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: EB*D, M&M, IHG, Hilton Hhonors
If you read the full decision, it covers my exact situation. Yes, we turned back and were 'canceled'. We were reassigned a new plane, same flight number, but its irrelevant. That only stops us getting a full refund.
I have read the full decision. It covers the return to the airport, but the subsequent handling was completely different. Getting the same flight number is not irrelevant.

In that regard, the Court has held that it is possible, as a rule, to conclude that there is a cancellation where the delayed flight for which the booking was made is ‘rolled over’ onto another flight, that is to say, where the planning for the original flight is abandoned and the passengers from that flight join passengers on a flight which was also planned but independently of the flight for which the passengers so transferred had made their bookings (Sturgeon and Others, paragraph 36).
CURIA - Documents Paragraph 30

SAS didn't abandon the planning for the flight. It made a change to the plan (new timing, new plane). But even if you count that as an abandonment, the second criteria is not fulfilled. The replacement flight was not planned independently and you didn't join other passengers.

The change of plane can't be the deciding factor as airlines swap planes frequently.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:38 am

It's completely irrelevant as it's a completely separate situation - with the first carrier being non eu, from a non eu airport, [conforming moderator edit to original quote
IMHO my example is relevant, but we disagree on the interpretation of the rules, and I doubt that will change, so I'll drop out of this tread. Good luck with you claim.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:38 am

As for the vouchers, I agree with highupinthesky.
From what I remember when claiming with an agency before, they told me that I was not bound by the amount of the voucher I was given by the airline (Lufthansa in my case). According to EU 261, you are eligible for care regardless of the reasons behind the delay (-- I am mentioning that because the right to care is completely separate from the criteria for compensation).
So, if you have your receipts you can ask for a refund for whatever your expenses were. The airline that should pay is the airline that is operating the delay/missed connection/cancellation.

I am throwing it out there because a) it sounds wild but you can get (hopefully not milk) considerably more than a voucher and b) I hope that when people visit this thread they would learn something new and very useful

SOURCE: https://skyrefund.com/en/blog/right-...inks-and-hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.