Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Go Intercontinental [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Go Intercontinental [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Furry
Actually now that I opened the page again (had still old tab open for it before) it remembers seats I picked and shows "Purchased" and I'm not able to change them anymore.

So I guess your booking date doesn't really matter, it's for all reservations starting maybe from July 1. I'm glad I did select seats before that, now have a nice two-seater on both journeys for "free". I booked directly from SAS as they accept Amex with no extra cost.

Not too happy to see their service concept going down, especially in long-haul.. I remember not too long ago when they spent tons of money advertising at least in Finland (outdoor adds in cities etc.) with slogan "Always with SAS" which basically said that they have "everything" included in the base price. I guess the price war between LCCs has a price tag too.
A lot of Swedish travel agencies take AMEX -the funny thing is that even add the card fees on the final price is still lower than SAS

Yes SAS is almost like a LCC - put it this way, I only fly with them because they are cheap and 100% mileage.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:11 am

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Are you sure it works? Have you tried?

TIA
Yes. Did it all the time before I became EBG and later EBD. Did it in june as well on my iPad for a MR, just for fun to get an early SEQ.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by kandtq
Can you download the app in the United States through itunes? I can't find it. Thanks for the advice!
No you can't at this time. I have a US iTunes and a Swedish iTunes. I could only get the SAS app through Swedish.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you download the app in the United States through itunes? I can't find it. Thanks for the advice!
you need to change your itune country to Sweden, then you can download it. Mr. has an iphone 5 from work and he does that to get apps from different countries.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Will it cause any problems with my itunes account or my phone if I change the county to Sweden?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will it cause any problems with my itunes account or my phone if I change the county to Sweden?
Not that I know - you only change the itune market, get the app and then change it back immediately.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: Hertz Gold PC,Virgin Atlantic Silver,SAS Eurobonus Silver
I noticed that SAS changed the wording on the seat selection too. I booked a flight from Stockholm to Chicago, and part of my flight is on a SAS Saver Plus and after booking, the seat selction message had turned to 'Want a specific seat? Pay and reserve it now (free for EBG/EBD).' with 'Book Seats' button rather then a select your seats message with 'Select Seat' button.

When I saw this I thought, that I would have to pay for seats. I flew with SAS just last month on the same route with basically the same itinerary and could choose my seats in advance for free (apart from the front Go seats which did cost about 28.50 uk pouunds). Clicking the 'Book Now' button did allow me to choose my seats and for free so no waiting until I check in to select the seats but it seems a bit underhanded.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:28 am

SAS Go Long Haul, recommendations?

I was advised by #Adam1222 to move my question regarding suggestions on travelling with SAS to this subforum.

I have booked with them on the SAS Go option and have been reading 50/50 opinions on how the things went... I published this message on the Information Desk

Originally Posted by Foster Martell
Hello fellow members...

I have a scheduled flight from Helsingfors (HEL Finland) to Houston (IAH Texas) and back, with two stops in Stockholm (ARN Sverige) and Chicago (ORD Illinois)... Unfortunately for me, I didn't check in forums like this before booking, and now only after I have done it, kind of realised that wasn't the best move.

Yes, it was the cheapest flight I found, so I was kind of preparing myself before reading anything that it wouldn't be something fancy... However now I have been growing anxious at the perspective of flying with them, so I would kindly appreciate comments and recommendations for when the day comes.

Two things that I have already prepared myself is the fact that the seats will be uncomfortable (even tho I did paid extra to be able to select my seat [right behind of the extra leg room]) and that after passing security and before boarding, I should take some meal replacement bars due to how poor the service is (only one tray for PLUS and Go classes). However, just recently was checking one other review site and SAS gets an even share of bad and good reviews... so please, leave a comment if you have travel long haul with SAS (even more if you have travel to some of my stops with them)...

I was reading just yesterday that in every stop, I should get my checked baggage by myself, since they don't transport them from one flight to the other... any of you know if this is true?

Sorry for the long post and hope someone will reply!

Cheers!
So, if you haven't bothered in reading it, I was just wondering if any of you here have had any experience flying long haul with SAS in the SAS Go option, what were your general impresions?

I am really worried to having to carry my own luggage at every stop... altho #LondonElite said this would only be needed in Chicago... But is there anyone with insights of travelling with them from Stockholm to Chicago? I am travelling from Helsingfors (HEL Finland), but that commute is only one hour... I am really worried about the longer part of the journey.

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:09 am

you'll recheck your luggage in ORD only on the outbound as you'll clear US customs at point of entry, and not at all on the return.

I flew DCA-ORD-ARN last month, the A330 operating the route with either be brand new (in my case) or with a refurbished interior which is pretty nice too. Enjoy the flight
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
From ARN to ORD you're pretty much guaranteed to fly the new cabin which is a major upgrade from the old one. The new timing of the flight also makes immigration a breeze. In general service on SK is terrible, but it is highly crew dependent. The higher the average age of the FA's the worse the service to the point of being ignored and insulted (this is a fact, not a joke).

Since your profile doesn't list a location I can't tell wether you're Scandinavian/Finnish. If you are, then the only thing to keep in mind is that the IFE is of good quality but with a very limited inventory and if you watch movies on a regular basis you'll probably want to bring some entertainment yourself. Also if you're Scandinavian/Finnish you can probably tolerate the horrible food SK tends to serve in the outbound direction. If not, have something to eat at the airport before your flight, just in case.

I do a considerable amount of longhaul flying with SK, the pro's are the new cabin and general product, the fact the flights are generally on time and the very small amount of administrative/ticketing bs I encounter with them. The conns are the food, lack of service and limited IFE. While disappointing I can mitigate the last item, the first two are for SK to fix.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
If you are worried about the seats in Go, look into upgrade possibilities using Optiontown: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...rades-sas.html

Heading to the US in Go is not a big problem as you likely won't want to sleep much. Heading back is another story, so you could try and upgrade the ORD-ARN segment.

As for luggage, I don't really see the concern. Yes, you have to recheck your baggage when travelling to the US...but that is always the case with checked in luggage when connecting in the US. You simply move the bags 50m to a new location, so it is not a big deal. I imagine that you will not have problems checking the bags IAH-HEL, especially if you are using United to connect. You should not have to touch the luggage after you check-in at IAH...at least until you arrive at HEL.

Others have covered the food and drink aspects. Contrary to FlyingMoose's experience, I tend to be ignored as opposed to insulted. The new cabin is nice and some of the staff are actually friendly...but don't get your hopes up.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:47 am

I would not be too concerned.
1) Your luggage will be checked through - you just have to carry it through customs at ORD and then hand it over straight after at the re-check counter (to the right just after you exit the first set of doors after customs)
2) Row 30 (in the new cabin, right behind the Plus section) has plenty of leg space. Be sure to have in either side - not the center section.
3) You will get 2 meals on board. A hot meal after take off (salad, main course, cheese, desert) and small cold meal prior to landing (usually a sandwhich). The food have certainly been sub-par for some years. I do however have to say that for the last 6 months food out of CPH have improved considerably - and has been quite OK. The second meal is nothing to write home about. I can not comment on meals from US to Europe as I always eat in the airport and try to sleep/rest once in the seat
4) IFE is On Demand with 50 or so movie titles + the usual TV shows and games + at lot of info/camera etc. on decent size TV screen. You will also have WIFI available
Old Dec 8, 2015, 4:29 am
Suspended

Easy there. SAS is IMHO far, far better than any American legacy carrier - also in terms of service, which is appalling across the board on any American airline. The flight will also be cleaner. I very rarely have any problems with crews, but I'm (surprisingly, perhaps) good with people in general.

If you approach the experience with the expectation you'll be treated badly and starve, you'll be treated badly and not like the food.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My 2 cents (I never fly C):

Tried UA LHR-LAX - it was (much) better than my SK CPH-IAD. Perhaps we got E+ upgrade on our UA flight as UA S. Food was much better than SK's - they even had ice-cream as snack on UA! You can have as much soda/juice as you like on UA, not SK, you get 1 bottle of water and 1 drink with the first meal - that is. Of course you can always get a free tea/coffee.

The food on LH even CX is not much better either - don't expect nice Y food unless you fly TK.

It was ridiculous that we got 4 meals and they are not all the same (it was ordinary meals but we got something that's not announced).

Don't take the seats at the back. On my way back from IAD - the crews were talking the whole way and I could hear everything they said except when someone flushed the toilet which located right behind my seat.

If you don't have lounge access - eat and drink before getting on, use the journey to sleep.

Plus is definitely much better but I'm not sure I want to pay the extra for it. Even with the very low fare from friends and family offer I'm not interested in flying SK GO (unless the price for a long haul return ticket is below SEK 3000).
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
You might also want to know that HEL is referred to as Helsinki in all other languages, but swedish/norwegian.

- UA CA: "..and I can check your baggage all the way to Helsinki"
- OP: "But I'm going to Helsingfors!"

(I usually only get the "have a nice trip to HELll....." and have to add the "...sinki" to let the checkin agent out of trouble)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.