Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX moves from ARN to CPH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should be able to connect at CPH for 9:35 departure to LAX from many European SK destinations (except the UK and Ireland) and most Scandinavian destinations.
Well, at least not for FRA (9:00), LHR (9:45).

Just checked and seems the flights from CPH are not yet loaded. Still shows ARN-LAX, LAX-ARN for random dates April.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
Originally Posted by fassy
Especially comparing it to ARN with the ridiculous T4-T5 setup without a decent airside transfer (the bus stinks!) for domestic-international connections.
Agree. Being a basically one terminal airport, CPH works fine for transit. ARN does not.

Not only int.-domestic as mentioned (I hate that long walk and extra security) but also intercontinental-European. Last November I lost a bottle of gin bought onboard LAX-ARN when transferring to CPH. Never forgive SAS and ARN! It is really annoying with this extra security, which you don’t have at CPH.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Read a Danish newspaper article that explained that a major reason for moving the HKG (I believe) flight from Arn to CPH was the Swedish environmental tax. By routing passengers through CPH they'd avoid this. Denmark is one of the few countries in Northern Europe not to impose such a tax yet.
Perhaps that is what happened to this route also?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Last year they moved the HKG route from daytime ARN to nighttime CPH. The major reason was that, if I read it correctly, was that daytime flight was not financially viable and there is curfew at ARN so CPH is the only option to operate a nighttime flight.

For me this means I am forced to take a transfer to Sweden from Hong Kong as the only non-stop has gone, and SK is out of consideration because the bad timing (night flight vs daytime flights of AY or SU) and the fact that CPH is on the west of ARN. Congratulations they have pissed off all us visiting Sweden! (I have a lot of orienteering friends visiting Sweden every year)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:12 pm

Danish Airlines. Nailed it. I'm personally bitter about this one. I fly flew this route 2-4 times a year.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
Danish Airlines. Nailed it. I'm personally bitter about this one. I fly flew this route 2-4 times a year.
You do realise that a large part of the heavy populated southern Sweden use CPH as their primary airport?

So I read up on it. Multiple pages online say
​​​Sweden introduced an extra tax of SEK 400 per person for intercontinental flights to/from Swedish airports. I assume that could have been a very important part of making this decision.
copperred likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Goaguy
You do realise that a large part of the heavy populated southern Sweden use CPH as their primary airport?

​​​Sweden introduced an extra tax of SEK 400 per person for intercontinental flights to/from Swedish airports. I assume that could have been a very important part of making this decision.
CPH is probably the second most commonly used O&D airport for Swedes. A large proportion of the ground workforce at CPH is Swedish or residing in Sweden. Even the airline security contractors used by say US airlines at CPH are often Swedish and/or residing in Sweden. The Sound-crossing bridge and train connections to/from/within Sweden were built with CPH’s Swedish airport passengers in mind. Without Sweden, CPH airport would be a far wimpier airport.

CPH-LAX seems to make more sense for many Swedes than ARN-LAX, and at least it seems to make more sense for SAS given SAS is doing this to maximize its business.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by miklcct
Last year they moved the HKG route from daytime ARN to nighttime CPH. The major reason was that, if I read it correctly, was that daytime flight was not financially viable and there is curfew at ARN so CPH is the only option to operate a nighttime flight.

For me this means I am forced to take a transfer to Sweden from Hong Kong as the only non-stop has gone, and SK is out of consideration because the bad timing (night flight vs daytime flights of AY or SU) and the fact that CPH is on the west of ARN. Congratulations they have pissed off all us visiting Sweden! (I have a lot of orienteering friends visiting Sweden every year)
You've got this all wrong (well, first of all off-topic since this is the LAX not the HKG thread), the nightflight is a huge improvement which means you can skip that unnecessary and expensive last hotel night to depart early in the morning as well as not wasting an entire day on a plane. Yields are up because of this major improvement, you seem to be in the minority here.
SK AAR likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by view
You've got this all wrong (well, first of all off-topic since this is the LAX not the HKG thread), the nightflight is a huge improvement which means you can skip that unnecessary and expensive last hotel night to depart early in the morning as well as not wasting an entire day on a plane. Yields are up because of this major improvement, you seem to be in the minority here.

For me, taking daytime flight is better for my sports performance because it avoid disrupting my sleep schedule. (My usual practice is to take a Friday daytime flight for a weekend competition) I'm glad that they are still keeping the CPH-LAX flight at daytime, not moving it to overnight.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: More than one
For me, taking daytime flight is better for my sports performance because it avoid disrupting my sleep schedule. (My usual practice is to take a Friday daytime flight for a weekend competition) I'm glad that they are still keeping the CPH-LAX flight at daytime, not moving it to overnight.
I agree with View. You are a minority. There is a had fight between the airlines to get the night departure slots at HKG, and to be allowed to have the bird on the ground for around 12 hours so it can be night flight in and night fly out.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:47 am

Just checked and seems the flights from CPH are not yet loaded. Still shows ARN-LAX, LAX-ARN for random dates April.
Flights seem to be loaded now but... shows both CPH-LAX and ARN-LAX now, e.g. looking for outbound 13th April CPH-LAX I get both options either CPH-LAX or CPH-ARN-LAX.

Same for the return 20th April. Funny enough, going through ARN is SEK 350 more expensive
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
CPH-LAX is not possible to do overnight. The time difference is so significant that you would end up arriving in the middle of night in LAX even with a late evening departure from CPH. I dont know any airline that fly Europe to the US overnight. LY TLV to the US is overnight as I recall it but it makes sense as the travel time is significantly longer.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:27 am

Same for the return 20th April. Funny enough, going through ARN is SEK 350 more expensive
Fit's the difference in flight tax between DK and SE.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Goaguy
I wasn't being logical dude, I said I was personally bitter about this, because it's a very useful route for me and my family. I guess I'll be hating life in the rednose x-c2 for the next few years (can't do it overnight)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
I wasn't being logical dude, I said I was personally bitter about this, because it's a very useful route for me and my family. I guess I'll be hating life in the rednose x-c2 for the next few years (can't do it overnight)
Are they still flying ARN-LAX? As far as I know they are moving all the US bound routes from CPH to Gatwick when the winter program starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.