LAX moves from ARN to CPH

Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK-EBD
LAX moves from ARN to CPH

From SAS press release:

https://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-anno...om-copenhagen/

https://www.sasgroup.net/en/sas-abne...fra-kobenhavn/

Last edited by Tango Alpha; Sep 3, 2019 at 6:12 am Reason: Now link to English version.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:02 am

Ah, great news! (for me )

EDIT:// well, the timing ex-CPH is mean! ...? Why not 11am or so that people from NO or SE have a realistic chance to get to CPH in time? Might work from OSL and ARN but if you have to connect from a smaller regional airport, no chance. Arriving around noon in LAX is not bad, but I wouldn't see any issue arriving 2pm. Probably slot restrictions in LAX but still.... that makes no sense.
Gnopps and Tango Alpha like this.

Last edited by fassy; Sep 3, 2019 at 4:22 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: More than one
Payback? For years, us in DK and NO have had to live with the 9:55am takeoff in ARN.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
So its officially Danish Airlines then with Stockholm's last useful route disappearing? Final nail in the coffin and middle finger to their Swedish passengers.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
So its officially Danish Airlines then with Stockholm's last useful route disappearing? Final nail in the coffin and middle finger to their Swedish passengers.
What do you expect with the way the number of PAX's are dropping in the SE airports. It's affecting the international flights too now. CPH have had raising number of PAX's despite the bankruptcy of 2 airlines, the SK strike and DY dropping a number of US routes out of CPH. Any airline who move routes to ARN are insane.
James91 likes this.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Sep 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Great news for CPH - and just shows that demand is simply not there ex-ARN.

They must be confident that they will not be cannibalising yield on the SFO route by having both that and LAX from CPH, though.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A logical step would be to move the Asian routes to ARN and keep all the west bound longhauls in CPH. The early LAX slot ex ARN meant that they had no feeder traffic whatsoever.
Daner likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Great news for CPH - and just shows that demand is simply not there ex-ARN.
I fly this route 8-9x a year and this flight is always packed. I would really not believe a demand issue. Separately SAS doesn't market anything it does from ARN very well either and doesn't have overnight connections like other airlines would.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
A logical step would be to move the Asian routes to ARN and keep all the west bound longhauls in CPH. The early LAX slot ex ARN meant that they had no feeder traffic whatsoever.
I don't see that as a logical move whatsoever. SAS needs to focus on locations that matter for Swedish longhaul travelers. I never understood ARN-LAX but its the one SAS longhaul destination that matters to me as its a place I actually need to go to. It would have been better had they flown to SFO/SEA/YVR. The HKG flight was very valuable but they removed that to. SIN I'll do on SQ, it would be great if they could add JNB or GRU instead. Not having a west-coast connection from ARN makes no sense however. Perhaps it takes more Swedes to vote with their wallet and avoid ...... connection in EWR and ORD with 4-5 hour domestic legs.

If I need to connect in Europe then I'll fly to a real airport and not the awful CPH.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Being packed and being profitable are two very different things...

Every time a route out of ARN is launched and subsequently fails the Swedes scream and shout, but perhaps realising why they fail should be given a thought.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:51 am

If I need to connect in Europe then I'll fly to a real airport and not the awful CPH.
I can understand your frustration, but what is wrong about CPH??? Not considering the route network, just the setup of the airport, i think it is one of the best airports in Europe to connect while having a decent size to go places...

Im mostly frustrated that SK just does not consider connecting traffic. Neither in ARN, nor in CPH.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite

...then I'll fly to a real airport and not the awful CPH.
?? What an odd and absurd statement.
copperred and highupinthesky like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
?? What an odd and absurd statement.
Especially comparing it to ARN with the ridiculous T4-T5 setup without a decent airside transfer (the bus stinks!) for domestic-international connections.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:00 am

I fly this route 8-9x a year and this flight is always packed. I would really not believe a demand issue.
But do you know whether it's packed with pax from SE, CPH or OSL? The 9:55 am is late enough for pax from CPH and OSL to use it.

Separately SAS doesn't market anything it does from ARN very well either and doesn't have overnight connections like other airlines would.
And you believe they do that with flights out of CPH or OSL?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:12 am

Makes perfect sense to move this to CPH as obviously ARN could not sustain the route these days. ARN is not really connected to Europe the same way CPH is, now in CPH there will be outbound connections on a whole different level from all over Germany, Poland, Baltics, Benelux as well as the Nordics. The real losers I guess are all secondary cities in Sweden that was able to catch the early ex-ARN flight and now will not make the CPH departure, but that is life in the periphery.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should be able to connect at CPH for 9:35 departure to LAX from many European SK destinations (except the UK and Ireland) and most Scandinavian destinations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.