Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage insurance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Baggage insurance

Hi, I'm new so apologies if it's the wrong place to post

I'm flying MXP - EWR through CPH and OSL all on SAS. I only have ~50 mins in CPH and my incoming flight from MXP appears to be often late

Is baggage insurance necessary to be reimbursed if SAS doesn't deliver my luggage on time/loses it or will it be enough to appeal to some sort of passenger rights convention like Montreal etc?

Thanks!
Anna
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: SK-EBD
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

I wouldn't worry about the 50 minutes - unless it is VERY important than you AND your luggage arrives in EWR the planned day.

No insurance necessary. SAS will deliver sooner or later, should it get stucked on the way. For a complete loss, SAS will cover as well, though there is a limit (which I don’t know). So if you have very valuable things checked in, it could be worth checking the limit.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you can make your connection, your bag almost certainly will. Thus, it is the least of your worries.

In the event that your bag is delayed, SK will be responsible for your interim reasonable necessities up to a maximum of EUR 1,150. If the bag is lost, after 20 days, the fair market value of the losses less any interim payments.

Baggage insurance is most often included in more comprehensive policies and can be worthwhile because it may pay out more easily and in greater amounts (if you have expensive clothing which is hard to replace).

As always, it makes sense to travel with your first 3-4 days of clothing given the generous carry-on allowances and stress-reducing impact of not having to run around shopping.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: More than one
Out of curiosity. What is your flight schedule? The EWR flight from CPH leaves around 10:25. From OSL it's 11:10 and from ARN it's 12:25. MXP-OSL is a 5 hour trip with a layover of about 1 hour in CPH and OSL. So to make the 11:10 flight in OSL you will have to leave at 6am from MXP and to my knowledge SK do not have such an early flight from MXP.
The other option MXP-OSL-CPH-EWR with the late CPH-EWR flight doesn't work either as far as I know.

But as Tango Alpha wrote. I won't worry about the luggage unless you have something real valuable in it or really need it when you arrive at EWR.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tango Alpha
Welcome to Flyer Talk!

I wouldn't worry about the 50 minutes - unless it is VERY important than you AND your luggage arrives in EWR the planned day.

No insurance necessary. SAS will deliver sooner or later, should it get stucked on the way. For a complete loss, SAS will cover as well, though there is a limit (which I don’t know). So if you have very valuable things checked in, it could be worth checking the limit.
The limitation on airline liability for checked luggage is 1131 SDR, or about 1400 EUR on today's rate.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Make sure you pack everything absolutely essential in your hand luggage. So far I have good experience with SAS luggage forwarding services - they usually get it delivered within 48 hours.

It took me 20 days to get my bag back with EW which they found 72 hours after my arrival, and I couldn't even recognize my bag when I got it back and it was more than a month ago and still haven't heard back from them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.