Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Some person
Nærings- og fiskeridepartementet sold their shares, but doesn't Norges Bank still have some shares?
Not as far as I know, and it wouldn't be normal that more than one ministry had shares in a former state owned company.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Or once your flight is canceled, contact SAS and offer to stay another week on own expenses if they book you on biz for the return flight a week later. I wouldn't be surprised if they agree to that. End of the day. You can't really do much until your flight is canceled.

Thank you! This worked! We flew LAX-ARN in biz this week, despite being booked in Plus on the May 3rd cancelled flight.
highupinthesky likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: SK EBD, AY Plat, Member TG,LH,UA,AC
One week has gone; I hope that everyone has passed all different kinds of flight disruption nicely.
I will remember this trip as the great disruption ever after the first time back in 2008 that TG axed NYC Express.

Just a note: in my case, I had SAS Plus award ticket GOT-AMS v.v.
Outbound was rebooked with revenue Y-class with LH (Economy; Downgrade compensation paid €150)
Inbound was rebooked with award allocation I-class with KL (EuroBusiness; I was happy to experience Skyteam for the first time ^^'')

Thank you all for your words and support.

PS. The last thing, wait and see about EU261 patiently :P
Old May 10, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Neither are going to happen. There will be no lobbying on this from SK, and no change of the laws.
Its a matter of time before governments in Scandinavia figured out how their tier 3 airports and striking airlines aren't doing their economies any good. Having a LLC and a sub-par airline on the verge of bankruptcy that isn't reliable and has terrible service as the main transport to your region while your overpaid bus drivers expect a hilarious 10%+ raise will not do wonders for your reputation either. Hopefully the correlation between strong economies and those being well served with direct routes globally will eventually trigger a wake up. It would be appalling if SAS didn't even at least try in an attempt to securing its future.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given at least the Danish (pre or post election this year) and Swedish governments, that would be a wasted effort and go nowhere fast.
Seeing how well Sweden and the Swedish Crown are doing at the moment, I doubt the current left wing imbeciles have a future.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Seeing how well Sweden and the Swedish Crown are doing at the moment, I doubt the current left wing imbeciles have a future.
Left, right, or center, the mentioned governments in the area, now or later, aren’t going to gut the powers of the unions as a favor to airlines any time soon.

The SEK used to be considerably weaker against the US dollar than the SEK is this year; and a weak SEK is good for Swedish exports in the goods and services sector. Will the FAs use the weak SEK as an excuse for a bigger pay raise and other benefits? Did the pilots do so?
Old May 10, 2019, 3:21 am

Here's a 10 year chart for USD/SEK exchange. SEK has never been lower during the past decade. NOK is a little bit better, and DKK even better than NOK. But all three currencies are pretty low compared to the dollar.

Since a lot of expenses are paid in dollars (fuel, aircraft), and since most SAS income is on SEK, NOK and DKK, the weak Scandinavian currencies (and especially the SEK) is a huge problem for SAS. I don't think that anybody at SAS can use the weak currency as a bargaining point for higher salaries.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Left, right, or center, the mentioned governments in the area, now or later, aren’t going to gut the powers of the unions as a favor to airlines any time soon.

The SEK used to be considerably weaker against the US dollar than the SEK is this year; and a weak SEK is good for Swedish exports in the goods and services sector. Will the FAs use the weak SEK as an excuse for a bigger pay raise and other benefits? Did the pilots do so?
I don't think the Swedish government is aiming to bring down SEK to this low - yes a weak SEK can help Swedish exports but this article said it's not as simple:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hitting-sweden

Labour cost is just high in Sweden - don't know how much they are paid but for example it's a lot more expensive to build a house in Sweden compared to Denmark. The economy is just messed up here - a overheated housing market, very few supplies...... in case big companies here fire people in large scale, I have no idea how the country is going to deal with it.

The government is not going put up the interest rate because there's not enough inflation. Fuel prices is insane - saw people posting on a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1171593203022193/ - a litre of petrol costs 18 SEK in Stockholm, which is insane. Fortunately here we are close to Denmark so the prices are not as bad, only SEK 16/l.

With the weak SEK we ought to see higher prices for everything imported and that's inflation.

Economics theories just don't make sense in this situation, the variables are just simply too varied.
Old May 10, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Labour cost is just high in Sweden - don't know how much they are paid but for example it's a lot more expensive to build a house in Sweden compared to Denmark. The economy is just messed up here - a overheated housing market, very few supplies...... in case big companies here fire people in large scale, I have no idea how the country is going to deal with it.
The cost of uneducated and unskilled labour is high in Sweden. The cost of educated and equivalent high paying jobs in other countries get paid poorly here.

It is largely due to a complete misprioritisation of the government, when economic growth, infrastructure and reducing the excessive cost of living and tax burden are completely ignored while chasing fantasy ideals around immigration and social system, this is where you end up.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedChili
Here's a 10 year chart for USD/SEK exchange. SEK has never been lower during the past decade. NOK is a little bit better, and DKK even better than NOK. But all three currencies are pretty low compared to the dollar.

Since a lot of expenses are paid in dollars (fuel, aircraft), and since most SAS income is on SEK, NOK and DKK, the weak Scandinavian currencies (and especially the SEK) is a huge problem for SAS. I don't think that anybody at SAS can use the weak currency as a bargaining point for higher salaries.
Use a 20 year chart and it becomes clear that the SEK has been considerably weaker against the USD than it is now. Within the era of FT, and less than 20 years ago, the SEK even hit 11 SEK/USD.

I wasn’t being serious about the weak SEK being a good excuse for a salary or other benefits hike for airline employees. Rather it was meant to be an example of the possibility of using anything, everything or nothing at all as an excuse for whatever demand someone may have.

SAS is a struggling airline, and yet its employees push for better compensation packages for the work. Any excuse, every excuse, or no excuse, the demands were still there.

Scandinavian countries have a lot of income comprehension, at least on a post-tax basis; and with that and otherwise, labor costs for less skilled work tend to be a lot closer to labor costs for high skilled work than they would be in most of the world. This is why it’s not uncommon to see SAS flight attendants more likely to live in better neighborhoods than would tend to be the case for FAs in say the US, the long-haul market on which SAS seemed to have bet its future.

I can only hope that the weak SEK means lower costs for me to use SAS, with or without SAS FAs getting the same kind of salary hike as its pilots by way of a strike.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 10, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old May 10, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Maybe the staff as SAS know that SAS is not going to survive long term, hence the milk while possible strategy.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Maybe the staff as SAS know that SAS is not going to survive long term, hence the milk while possible strategy.
Take while the taking is still possible? That’s possible.

Each employee has to watch out for herself/himself as much as possible while possible, because the employers really won’t. Employers know we are all replaceable, just a matter of at what cost.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:15 pm

When their alternative option for employment ends up being DY, I'm sure they'll regret it.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
When their alternative option for employment ends up being DY, I'm sure they'll regret it.
DY may go under faster than SK. And regardless of when one or both of these carriers go under in a way, the demand for air travel will still be there; and then some other carrier, new or otherwise, will probably be entering the scene thereafter and be needing employees.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:24 pm

DY may go under faster than SK. And regardless of when one or both of these carriers go under in a way, the demand for air travel will still be there; and then some other carrier, new or otherwise, will probably be entering the scene thereafter and be needing employees.
Yea, I won't rule out DY going under before SK though the transition for cabin crew to a new employer will net lower perks than whatever legacy contract they have with SK and that downgrade will be self imposed if you bankrupt your employer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.