Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS pilots on strike in April 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: More than one
SK are expecting to carry out 334 flights on Friday April 26 despite the strike. There is a link to the flights in this article https://check-in.dk/sas-vil-gennemfo...trods-strejke/ The article is in Danish, but the list in the link is in English.
There is no info about the days after Friday April 26 at the moment, but I assume it will be a similar number of flights which will be carried out regardless of the strike.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
SK are expecting to carry out 334 flights on Friday April 26 despite the strike. There is a link to the flights in this article https://check-in.dk/sas-vil-gennemfo...trods-strejke/ The article is in Danish, but the list in the link is in English.
There is no info about the days after Friday April 26 at the moment, but I assume it will be a similar number of flights which will be carried out regardless of the strike.
I can scroll the list to 6th of May.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:07 am

I got super confused as my flight SK966 from HKG to CPH departs at 0100 (local HK time) on Apr 26. Not sure if local time or European Time makes any difference. And I couldn't find the flight on the exemption list. Guess I would have to contact SAS directly to find out (if they know at all).
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus
Originally Posted by nastypenman
I got super confused as my flight SK966 from HKG to CPH departs at 0100 (local HK time) on Apr 26. Not sure if local time or European Time makes any difference. And I couldn't find the flight on the exemption list. Guess I would have to contact SAS directly to find out (if they know at all).
Looks like todays SK965 is cancelled due to tech so this will affect the return on Apr 26...
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by SK1989
Looks like todays SK965 is cancelled due to tech so this will affect the return on Apr 26...
You are right and seems like SK966 will be cancelled as well according to a few flight tracking site (even though the SAS website couldn't provide any info)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I can scroll the list to 6th of May.
Interesting. When I looked at it earlier today I could only see the 26th. But good to know they already now have an overview of which flights will be canceled the first 10 days in case of the strike.

Originally Posted by nastypenman
If you look at the list above, you will see all return flights on the 26 from Asia are on, so if the outbound flight today wasn't canceled the return flight would probably have happened.
It's normal practice during strikes that the return flights on the first day of strikes are still carried out. The pilots don't want to be stranded on the outbound location.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:06 pm

Interesting. When I looked at it earlier today I could only see the 26th. But good to know they already now have an overview of which flights will be canceled the first 10 days in case of the strike.
According to the Danish check-ind.dk article above, the listed flights are simply those flights which are operated by wet lease partners, including SAS Ireland. The operating airline is decided a long time in advance and is shown during booking if you click on the small "i".

Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
According to the Danish check-ind.dk article above, the listed flights are simply those flights which are operated by wet lease partners, including SAS Ireland. The operating airline is decided a long time in advance and is shown during booking if you click on the small "i".

You are right it's planned a long time in advance, but changes to the plans happens almost daily. Never the less. I find it very good that SK already now has published which flights they expect not to be affected the first 10 days of the strike, if it happens.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:17 am

Finally decided to cancel the whole SAS ticket (with full refund) and fly with another carrier instead.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:41 am

You are right it's planned a long time in advance, but changes to the plans happens almost daily. Never the less. I find it very good that SK already now has published which flights they expect not to be affected the first 10 days of the strike, if it happens.
However, it may be more difficult to change the plans during a strike. The unions may argue that SAS is trying to circumvent the strike by moving around the aircraft, and it complicates things for both SAS and the passengers if flights are cancelled and then suddenly reinstated. The passengers on cancelled flights need to be rebooked on operating SAS flights, other airlines, trains/ferries/buses or sent to hotels, and it is confusing if the plans suddenly change.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is interesting that there seem to be relatively little media attention to the strike, and no indication of whether it will be going to arbitration. It seems to go reasonably unnoticed.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: SK*G
Oh no, I changed my return flight from ORD-CPH on 26th (which will operate) to SFO-CPH on May 1st due to an extended work trip.. Cancelling the return leg and booking a single with another airline is not going to be cheap. Guess I should just hope for re-booking onto another Star Alliance flight if the strike continues....
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is how strikes should be dealt with in the medias. No reason to let the unions/pilots voice their demands through the medias - the less attention the quicker it will be over with - just my 2 cents...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pobbop
Oh no, I changed my return flight from ORD-CPH on 26th (which will operate) to SFO-CPH on May 1st due to an extended work trip.. Cancelling the return leg and booking a single with another airline is not going to be cheap. Guess I should just hope for re-booking onto another Star Alliance flight if the strike continues....
They will rebook to other carriers. Star Alliance, and most likely also non Star Alliance to get people to their destinations. Be proactive, and look for alternative routes you'd like. Makes it quicker to get something resolved
GUWonder, pobbop, SK2751 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by pobbop
To cancel and book a o/w ticket to the US on your own would be crazy (and expensive). There is nothing else to do than to wait and see if your flight gets cancelled. In the affirmative I'm confident that SAS will take care of the rebooking and with some flexibility you will be fine.
pobbop, SK2751 and highupinthesky like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.