Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New lounge construction in Kastrup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)

This article in Danish (http://www.check-in.dk/emirates-ublu...er-lounge-cph/) mentions in the passing that CPH is building a new lounge in the C finger, in the non-schengen area. I have missed this info before.

This is good news, if it will unload CPH Appartment, which is terribly crowded in the early evenings. It would also be cool, if SK decided to join the lounge (as LO did in WAW, for example, and SK did in AAL, as far as I remember). But no indication of that in the article.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wazow
This article in Danish (http://www.check-in.dk/emirates-ublu...er-lounge-cph/) mentions in the passing that CPH is building a new lounge in the C finger, in the non-schengen area. I have missed this info before.

This is good news, if it will unload CPH Appartment, which is terribly crowded in the early evenings. It would also be cool, if SK decided to join the lounge (as LO did in WAW, for example, and SK did in AAL, as far as I remember). But no indication of that in the article.
This should help a little bit with the crazy CPH passport control lines and planning around them, especially for those of us who use the lounges at CPH.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wazow

Main difference to AAL is that SK is not getting in to a lounge arrangement where they already have their own. They should IMHO invest in their own existing lounge before adding another.

The main airlines to gain from this would be the ones with only non Schengen departures. I could wonder if TK would be tempted to have the new one as their main lounge. I do hope BA jumps to the lounge when it opens.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They should IMHO invest in their own existing lounge before adding another.
Agreed.

The main airlines to gain from this would be the ones with only non Schengen departures. I could wonder if TK would be tempted to have the new one as their main lounge. I do hope BA jumps to the lounge when it opens.
What CPH needs is a SK lounge at the B-gates so we can finally stop the never-ending stroll back and forth when transferring intra-Europe.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose

What CPH needs is a SK lounge at the B-gates so we can finally stop the never-ending stroll back and forth when transferring intra-Europe.
Which for SK would probably be a higher need than a non Schengen lounge. But I am not sure the real estate for it is around. Maybe the old BA lounge. Can't remember if that has been utilised.

However coming back to the point of investments in existing SK lounges in CPH...
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:11 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Maybe the old BA lounge. Can't remember if that has been utilised.
It is used as some sort of backoffice.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TPJ
It is used as some sort of backoffice.
And it's not a very big space at that.

When it was used mainly by just Oneworld carrier passengers, it wouldn't be too crowded most times. But it would not have been able to handle SK premium customer lounge spillover even back then.

If the airport weren't so greedy for retail sales related revenue, perhaps they could convert some of that shopping mall space into another lounge or more comfortable seating area.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: TK E+
My thought too, but the question is if its worth it for TK? As a frequent flyer on the CPH-IST route, I would definitely welcome the possibility of having lounge access after the passport control.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aulrik
My thought too, but the question is if its worth it for TK? As a frequent flyer on the CPH-IST route, I would definitely welcome the possibility of having lounge access after the passport control.
The challenge for TK would be that they can't stop people from using a *A lounge. So they would probably be charged for two lounge visits for a lot of customers. Of course, should a majority of their lounge eligible Y customers be *G with another Airline, the cost would not hit themselves.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And it's not a very big space at that.

When it was used mainly by just Oneworld carrier passengers, it wouldn't be too crowded most times. But it would not have been able to handle SK premium customer lounge spillover even back then.

If the airport weren't so greedy for retail sales related revenue, perhaps they could convert some of that shopping mall space into another lounge or more comfortable seating area.
I don't think it's about morals. I don't think SK's current lounges are gifted from the airport to SK as an offering to the sky gods. I think they do in fact pay for the space. And they could pay for more should they want to. With, you know, money.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
I don't think it's about morals. I don't think SK's current lounges are gifted from the airport to SK as an offering to the sky gods. I think they do in fact pay for the space. And they could pay for more should they want to. With, you know, money.
I am sure SK pays for the space that they occupy with lounges. I am also reasonably sure that the rent the airport can get from retail outlets is probably higher than for lounge space.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:48 am
Suspended

I am sure SK pays for the space that they occupy with lounges. I am also reasonably sure that the rent the airport can get from retail outlets is probably higher than for lounge space.
So what you're saying is SK could pay more of that money and there'd be more lounge space? Then we agree!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what you're saying is SK could pay more of that money and there'd be more lounge space? Then we agree!
In principle yes, in practical terms I doubt there would be a proper return on investment in additional revenue to be gained by the higher rent payments.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:30 am
Suspended

In principle yes, in practical terms I doubt there would be a proper return on investment in additional revenue to be gained by the higher rent payments.
So ... the market works?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So ... the market works?
It does, from a certain point of view....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.