Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Longhaul Gremlins [Irregular Operations Ticker]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Longhaul Gremlins [Irregular Operations Ticker]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Mr.Niels
I was on SK926 on March 24. Sitting on the plane for 2 hours until the flight was finally cancelled. I made it back home with a 36 hours delay, a re-routing, an extra overnight stay and a downgrade (from 3A in C on SK to 40H in Y on a UA 777). Flying Y on UA should be punishable as assault and battery

What would be an appropriate compensation to ask for? It must be in the thousands!
No doubt that you are entitled to EUR 600 for delay. Write to SAS CS and request the compensation to be paid.

Was your ticket for C class travel? If you upgraded for points/miles or at check-in/the gate, I doubt you are entitled to comp. for downgrade as technicaly your ticket was not donwgraded (but obviously your points/miles should be returned). Also one could argue that you accepted the rerouting and downgrade in order to reach your destination faster. With a C class ticket you could have asked for travelling under similar conditions, i.e. in C class rather than accepting a UA flight in Y (but most likely it would have meant an even further delay due to flights sold out shortlt before Easter)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by SK AAR
No doubt that you are entitled to EUR 600 for delay. Write to SAS CS and request the compensation to be paid.

Was your ticket for C class travel? If you upgraded for points/miles or at check-in/the gate, I doubt you are entitled to comp. for downgrade as technicaly your ticket was not donwgraded (but obviously your points/miles should be returned). Also one could argue that you accepted the rerouting and downgrade in order to reach your destination faster. With a C class ticket you could have asked for travelling under similar conditions, i.e. in C class rather than accepting a UA flight in Y (but most likely it would have meant an even further delay due to flights sold out shortlt before Easter)
In case of a cancellation the airline are required to get you to you destination with as little delay as possible. If this mean they will have to downgrade you, you are entitled to an compensation for the downgrade. It's not an volunteer downgrade in this case. It's only a volunteer downgrade if you give up your seat for someone else, or if you request a rebooking to a flight with no seats in your class. A rebooking of a rebooking caused by a cancellation does not count as a request from you unless it's means you will arrive at your destination later than planned in the first rebooking or before your original schedule.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
One last round before the new A330E came in:
05APR16
SK925/SK926/05APR16 CPH-IAD-CPH cancelled
SK925/SK926/05APR16 CPH-IAD-CPH cancelled due technical reasons.

Passengers will be rebooked by SAS.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Might that explain why when I landed at ORD on Apr 6th (OZ236 from ICN) I saw two SK birds parked at the international terminal? Seemed odd in any case.

Last edited by GinFizz; Apr 9, 2016 at 10:09 am Reason: got my date wrong - Apr 6th not 5th
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Might that explain why when I landed at ORD on Apr 6th (OZ236 from ICN) I saw two SK birds parked at the international terminal? Seemed odd in any case.
Not sure about the current schedule, but for the winter schedule ORD was served by both CPH and ARN, and the planned touch down and take off was about 30-60 min. apart.

It's the same at EWR. Planes from CPH, ARN and OSL touch down and take off within 60 min. of each other. My best guess is SAS is doing this to make better use of the staff needed to serve the flights.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:07 pm

I'm wondering how it will play out when SAS opens the new routes to Miami later this year. They are not going to get more birds before the new routes, and today there were at least 3 long hauls with a 3+ hour delay at departure. Some due to an impossible schedule like OY-KBM. Scheduled to land at CPH at 18:40 from PEK, and take off again at 18:35 (no it's not a typo) for EWR.

We can argue whether LN-RKU are delivered and ready for service, but only LN-RKF are at MLA for service currently (Two weeks now if I remember correct). All other birds are in service today.
The birds has to be services from time to time, and if LN-RKF is any good representative they need service often. It only flew for about 4 months after the refurbish before it went to MLA for a longer service.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Apr 9, 2016 at 6:14 pm
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I'm wondering how it will play out when SAS opens the new routes to Miami later this year. They are not going to get more birds before the new routes, and today there were at least 3 long hauls with a 3+ hour delay at departure. Some due to an impossible schedule like OY-KBM. Scheduled to land at CPH at 18:40 from PEK, and take off again at 18:35 (no it's not a typo) for EWR.

We can argue whether LN-RKU are delivered and ready for service, but only LN-RKF are at MLA for service currently (Two weeks now if I remember correct). All other birds are in service today.
The birds has to be services from time to time, and if LN-RKF is any good representative they need service often. It only flew for about 4 months after the refurbish before it went to MLA for a longer service.
Since Zürich does the refurbishment and MLA the heavy MRO, I don't think either happen at the same time. So I think the 4 months is just a coincidence of the two schedules falling pretty close. Once the refurbishment is over that down time is out of the fleet for some years to come.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Since Zürich does the refurbishment and MLA the heavy MRO, I don't think either happen at the same time. So I think the 4 months is just a coincidence of the two schedules falling pretty close. Once the refurbishment is over that down time is out of the fleet for some years to come.
As far as I know Zürich does both, and the refurbishment is just 1 of the 4 weeks if any, as they more or less strip the birds to their bare bone during the heavy checks anyway.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by GinFizz
One for CPH and one for ARN
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
Unhappy Not good

Just found out that SK940 (LAX-ARN) for 12 April is cancelled. I'm in LA and was supposed to be on that flight.

Last edited by Daner; Apr 11, 2016 at 6:58 am Reason: Moved to another thread
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
'operational reasons':

11APR16
SK939/SK940 12AP16 ARN-LAX-ARN cancelled
SK939/SK940 12AP16 ARN-LAX-ARN is cancelled for operational reasons. Passengers will be rebooked by SAS.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:41 am

'operational reasons':
What is operational issues? Is that like no staff to fly?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
What is operational issues? Is that like no staff to fly?
In most cases the crew timed out or the crew/plane did not arrive/is not fit for service. Some other things could be also ruled as operational issue.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:13 pm

'operational reasons':

Quote:
11APR16
SK939/SK940 12AP16 ARN-LAX-ARN cancelled
SK939/SK940 12AP16 ARN-LAX-ARN is cancelled for operational reasons. Passengers will be rebooked by SAS.
Strange. SK939/940 are in the air today according to flightradar24, but cancelled tomorrow on April 12.
Today SK903/904 (ARN-EWR-ARN) are cancelled according to flightradar24
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
No more cancellations since Friday, things must be back to normal?
Sk940 cancelled tomorrow! Lax-Arn April 12

I was rerouted through ORD with a 10minute layover!! Been trying to call SK with no luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.