Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedChili
Wiki-update, September 2017, by RedChili:

Coop in Sweden has a membership program whereby you may collect points, which later can be converted to Eurobonus points. There are set specific intervals at which conversions may be made, but basically, the exchange rate is 10 Coop points to 1 EB point.

To become a Coop member, you need to pay SEK 100, which will give you a membership card that allows you to earn points when shopping in Coop, a few other physical stores, and on the Coop Internet shopping portal. The membership card itself will give you at least 0.5 points per SEK when shoppping at Coop, translating into 5 EB points per SEK 100. There's a points ladder, which means that for purchases above SEK 4500 per month, shoppers may get 5 points per SEK at Coop, translating into 50 EB points per SEK 100.

Coop has three cards that you can use to obtain points:

Coop Konto (Coop Account): It's a debit card that can only be used for shopping at Coop stores. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 (including what the membership gives).

Coop Betala Efter (Coop Pay After): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee, and it gives 0.5 additional points per SEK at Coop, and 0.25 points everywhere else, which translates into a total of 10 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 2.5 EG points everywhere else. There's a 1.75% currency conversion fee. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

Coop Mer (Coop More): It's a Mastercard credit card which can be used everywhere. There's no annual fee for the first year, but a fee of SEK 348 thereafter. It gives 1 additional point per SEK at Coop, and 0.5 points per SEK everywhere else, which translates into a total of 15 EB points per SEK 100 at Coop and 5 EB points everywhere else. Unlike the Eurobonus AMEX cards which have 2% currency conversion fee, there's no currency conversion fee at all on this card, something which may make this card attractive for private purchases in other currencies. At the time of writing, there's a 10.000 point welcome bonus on this card, translating into 1000 EB points.

So, let's make a comparison between Amex Premium and Coop Mer when shopping for SEK 10.000 in other currencies: The Amex will cost you a total of SEK 10.200 and give 1500 EB points, while the Coop will cost a total of SEK 10.000 and give 500 EB points. By using the Amex, the extra 1000 EB points will actually cost you SEK 200.

Some select stores from the Coop Internet shopping portal (with points listed as EB points after conversion):

Hallon phone subscription: 500 EB welcome points, and 30 EB per month.
Hotels.com: 20 EB per SEK 100 (at the time of writing, there's a 50 EB campaign).
Tallink/Silja: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Adlibris: 20 EB per SEK 100.
Cdon.com: 10 EB per SEK 100.

It's fully possible for a Coop member to shop through the Coop Internet portal and double dip by paying with an Amex card or the Coop credit cards.

It's also possible to pay regular bills with Coop Mer through Betalo (see below), but they charge a 1% transaction fee when paying with Coop cards, and you only get 5 EB points per SEK 100, meaning that receiving 1000 EB points will cost you SEK 200 in Betalo fees.

!IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Beginning January 1st 2016, Betalo will charge 1% processing fess for charging to the MedMera COOP MasterCard

Here are the companies that you can't use betalo (please feel free to add in):

- SEB
- Ikano Kort
- AMEX
- PayEx (check your VVS bills (got one recently and they hand the bills handling to PayEx) - if the payment is big, you are definitely loose out some points)
- OkQ8
- Skatteverket (called them today and they said that COOP blocks payments to Skatteverket) - it's possible to use other cards
Print Wikipost

SAS EuroBonus credit cards vs. Coop MedMera Mer (Sweden)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by jrcplus
Additionally, Coop MedMera Mer is one of the partner cards at Betalo <https://www.betalo.se/pris-amp-korttyper-12.html>, a service that lets you pay Bankgiro/Plusgiro by credit card, which means (as far as I can tell) there is absolutely no charge for using it. That opens up even more points earning opportunities, e.g. when paying the rent, utilities, loans, etc.

First time I've seen betalo generate points. Usually, betalo counts as a cash withdrawal. And that leads to the next question - doesn't this type of payments incur interest rate from day 1?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
First time I've seen betalo generate points. Usually, betalo counts as a cash withdrawal. And that leads to the next question - doesn't this type of payments incur interest rate from day 1?
As far as I read it it doesn't count as cash withdrawal? And why do you think it incur any interest? As I read it, it is just a charge to a credit card as any other charge?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Because I read that information some time ago on another card that offers betalo (which is why I at that time decided to not use it).

I did a quick search now, and GEmoneybank uses betalo too, and they are quite clear that it is interestfree until normal invocie due date. So maybe you've struck gold.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Correction - I now found the text I was referring to. They never said it would incur interest rate, but in that particular card's rules was a fee of 1% of the debited amount. So forget my comments!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:37 pm

A little unusual to pursue a fee (249 SEK) and extra workload (ditching Autogiro and typing in OCR numbers) but I figured that even if I keep shopping at ICA, I can use this COOP card to pay the monthly fee for my "co-op" apartment (bostadsrätt) and harvest 12000 EB points annually...

The application has been sent
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fassy
Too bad that I do not have any nice Coop around. Only a couple of small ones which I try to avoid as they have quite a poor selection, bad quality and the shops are dark, dirty and unorganized...
Not sure how it works for you, but there is a Coop at Malmo Central (20 minutes by train from CPH); and while it is small and has a slim selection it seems at least as bright and organized as any major chain grocery store I've seen in Scandinavia.

I thank the OP for putting this up. Manufactured spending in the area is of interest to me too.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:47 am

Thanks GUWonder,

unfortunately Malmö doesn't work for me to well. I live not 'only' east to bridge, need to go all the way east until the cost. Living in greater Kristianstad area.

The Coop in downtown Kristianstad is very nice as it just opened but not very convenient for shopping, I only go there if I need to get something from Systembolaget.

Anyway the Betalo option is worth getting the card. I just need to make sure not to miss any payment due dates and pay in fees for missed payment what I earned in miles
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
Nice, thanks for posting this. I'm paying my rent through bankgiro, quite a substantial amount each month. Just applied for the card.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by jrcplus

I don't know how well the MedMera-to-EuroBonus exchange will actually work out when it goes live later this year, but based on all of the above, so far it seems like a no-brainer to switch. If I've missed anything, I would love to know.
One thing to consider is that the exchange table for MedMera points to Sas extra points is said to be valid until 2015-03-31. So the two of them probably decided to have a trial period for their cooperation, and it is fully possible that the exchange rate will change at that point in time.

Also, one would need to exchange at least 20k MedMera points each time to get the best exchange rate.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I shop at coop all the time, double points in coop almost equal to 1% cash back from my shell master card.

Anyone tried bills from Vattenfall and okq8 bank?

TIA!

Last edited by nacho; Aug 22, 2014 at 3:39 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Gold, ex-Swissôtel Zenit (sigh)
I sure hope not

On https://www.betalo.se/partners-23.html it specifically states "Betalo i samarbete med MedMera Bank erbjuder dig med Coop MedMera Visa, Coop MedMera Betala Efter och Coop MedMera Mer-kort att betala dina räkningar kostnadsfritt på Betalo. Med dessa Coop MedMera-kort får du poäng även på Betalo."

On Coop.se, my one and only Betalo transaction (so far) just shows up as "Betalo Ab" with the heading "Köp", the same as all the other card purchases.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yes, I think my misconception has been straightened out already.
Correction -
So forget my comments!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:11 am

@jcrplus

how long did it take for COOP to approve the account and send out the card? Still waiting on them to give any sign of life... I saw they pulled my credit record two weeks ago but nothing after that happened.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by fassy
@jcrplus

how long did it take for COOP to approve the account and send out the card? Still waiting on them to give any sign of life... I saw they pulled my credit record two weeks ago but nothing after that happened.
I signed Mr. Nacho last week and he got a rejection about 3 days later as expected (He works in Denmark and pay tax in Denmark so that UC doesn't have his income information). He called and the credit department told him to send his income statement and something that has his address and personnr. on in order to process it. He has to do this every single time he applies for credit card in Sweden - normally he prints out the application and includes his latest salary statement. COOP doesn't offer this option.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:07 pm

I called today and even though they received the application a week ago, they say it may take 2 more weeks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.